Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » urgent help please...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Azura_Beowulf
Occasional Poster

August 2005
urgent help please... Wed, 31 August 2005 09:58 Go to next message
How do u remove the dash (gauge cluster cover) from a 1979 RA40 Celica LT Coupe?

im stuck and i accidently broke the plastic shit on my steering column now... man i hate the gauge cluster cover.

Thanks guys
Azzy

edit. Also how do u get the window winder thingy's off?

[Updated on: Wed, 31 August 2005 09:58]

Send a private message to this user    
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: urgent help please... Wed, 31 August 2005 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
window winders you can use a rag and slide it between the door card and the winder and it will push the clip off or you can buy a window clipy removey thingy Razz
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: urgent help please... Wed, 31 August 2005 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
never worked on a ra40 but the window winders should just have a clip that you can take out by using pliers or anything to pry it out. alternatively use a rag to pop the clip out.

with the dash see if there's screws behind the ash tray or the heater controls. you might need to take off the heater control nobs.

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: urgent help please... Wed, 31 August 2005 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra40 dash - a major PITA

there are screws up inside the gauge surrounds - 3 at least from memory - above the tacho, speedo & oil/amsp/voltage/fuel/other cluster

pull the air control knobs off and prise out plastic face - 2 screws hide behind there

remove any stuff under steering wheel

undo 2 large nuts holding steering wheel up against dash - and then support so it doesn't fall too far

remove any plastic surrounds from steer wheel now

is often helpful to remove the centre console first - start from the back undo-ing every screw you see.

work along bottom of dash and undo every screw you see

with dash undone and steer wheel dropped down low the gauge section should come out partly

unplug any and wiring to switches

to remove gauge cluster, first go to engine bay and push all the slack in the speedo cable back into the car ( if need be, undo at gearbox)

then inside car, undo the 4 screws holding cluster on, pull forwards slightly, reach around and undo the clip holding the speedo cable

pull further forward and unclip wiring

done. ... at this point your hands a badly scratched, you're a bit pissed off and there's dust and shit everywhere -

go have 2 beers, 2 cigarettes and a cheese+mustard+tomato+ham/turkey multi-grain sandwich (well, i did - and it made me feel a whole lot better) Wink
Azura_Beowulf
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: urgent help please... Wed, 31 August 2005 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahahaha ur funny chuck.

ok i did the window thingy just after i posted but i was too busy stripping the doors and forgot to remove the post...

second... i just want to remove the gauge clusters "bash guard" is there any other name? anyway it's coz i need to put a new clock in and i've already broken part of the plastic surround for the steering column so i guess it another trip to the wreakers some time. im eventually gonna completely strip this thing...... if any of u guys know... where does sound deadening go?inbetween the outer side of the door(outside of the car) and the inner side (behind the ghey (blue in my case) panels)?

Thanks guys
Azzy

oh and how do i remove the lil air control knobs? i don't wanna fuk up anything else...

[Updated on: Wed, 31 August 2005 11:14]

tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: urgent help please... Wed, 31 August 2005 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just pull on the knobs... They slide off with a bit of a tug (I hope we're talking about the same knobs!)

I have pity/empathy here man. I hate doing interior plasticcy shit with a pashion Mad . Good luck!
Azura_Beowulf
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: urgent help please... Wed, 31 August 2005 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the slidey bits that control the airflow.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: urgent help please... Wed, 31 August 2005 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup - just give them little noblets a good tug - if you break any, obtain spares from nearest wrecker.

Mine have been removed quit a few times and the spring things holding them in place are dodgy so all of them have a little nugget of yellowtac inside them to help them stay in place.

also - to remove the upper dash padding everything else has to come out first so you can get to the 6 or so 10mm bolts holding it in place.

Azura_Beowulf
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: urgent help please... Wed, 31 August 2005 12:39 Go to previous message
thanks guys.

Thechuckster... ur a helpful guy... i was told to contact u about toymods meetings/a celica club if there is any.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Supercharger stuffs
Next Topic:Anyone know what spoilers can be put on coupe ra65?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 23:59:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049810409545898 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.