Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Good mph....no traction Mon, 05 September 2005 03:18 Go to next message
After not making a coupla WSID opportunities due to breakages i got jack of waiting and hooked the G-Tech up for a run with just my street rubber on.

Traction was woeful as expected and i hate to think what my 60ft time was. Best run was a lowly 13.4.

The good news was the trap speed. 199.8kph on the G-Tech and approx 205kph on my speedo in 3rd gear. Suggests a decent time once i find a traction/breakage solution.

Comments from the experienced draggers out there?
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Good mph....no traction Mon, 05 September 2005 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
200km/h = approx 124mph

FWIW I did a 12.49 pass at 117mph, but even that is a pretty low ET for the trap speed - in theory I should be able to manage a high 11 with a good launch. Methinks you'd be knocking on the door of mid 11's ifyou could find a way to make that monster hook up!
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: Good mph....no traction Mon, 05 September 2005 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just for comparo, my lancer ran 13.5 @ 178 (after bouncing off the limiter, + shitty launch, but it was a VERY cold night) at barton creek, and 13.2 @ 175 at dairy flat raceway, on the same G-tech.. when tested against eastern creek it read .3 sec over but the mph was about right..

ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Good mph....no traction Mon, 05 September 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice one Justen! You'll have to let me come for a spin on that private stretch of bitumen some time Wink

Just to give you some indicative potential for that trap speed. Last time we went to WSID a friend ran his VL which coincidentally ran 124mph and it did so doing a 10.7 second pass.

Something to think about.

I don't know what the wieght difference is between the two vehicles but his was run in full street trim. The first few runs on street tyres struggled with high 11's and low 12's as it was not possible to get all the power to the ground. Once the slicks were fitted the times dropped to low 11s and on the last pass it ran a 10.7 (watching from the staging lane it stepped out and got a bit loose at half track Shocked ).

I wait with excitement for the GT8 debut on the sticky black stuff at WSID with sticky round things fitted Wink

EDIT: as a G-tech/strip comparo for my car-
G-Tech: 12.8 @ 107mph (0-100 4.3 seconds)
WSID: 12.8 @ 108 mph

[Updated on: Mon, 05 September 2005 04:31]

JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Good mph....no traction Mon, 05 September 2005 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Was that an auto or manual in the VL?

The GT8 is ballpark 1450kg with me and half a tank of fuel on board...not light but not as lardy as a current falcoon or crummiedoor.

A 10 would be my one and only run as i would happily retire with that result Smile Not likely though, even with some DOT rated Hoosiers which is the tyre i'm currently looking at. They look like a full slick but somehow get classed as a street radial?

Straight mechanical traction will also equal breakage i'm sure so i'm keen to try and get the Autronic traction control up and running.......
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Good mph....no traction Mon, 05 September 2005 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Justen,

Sounds bloody good. As a comparison, Sean's MS75 Crown just laid down a 10.9 with BFG Drag radials at 129mph, so your are obviously doing something pretty well.

Can't wait to get up there and be taken for a riiiiiiiiiiiiiiide !!!

Cheers

Michael B
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Good mph....no traction Mon, 05 September 2005 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JustenGT4 wrote on Mon, 05 September 2005 21:43

Straight mechanical traction will also equal breakage i'm sure so i'm keen to try and get the Autronic traction control up and running.......

Nonsense. It's time to make your car AWD again, the way it was meant to be!
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Good mph....no traction Mon, 05 September 2005 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Auto that has been "manualised", so a pretty fool proof setup in a straight line.

The VL retired after its 10 too, the owner isn't interested in changing it's "stock" appearance with a cage.
1JZ.747
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Good mph....no traction Tue, 06 September 2005 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JustenGT4 wrote on Mon, 05 September 2005 21:43

The GT8 is ballpark 1450kg with me and half a tank of fuel on board...not light but not as lardy as a current falcoon or crummiedoor.

A 10 would be my one and only run as i would happily retire with that result Smile Not likely though, even with some DOT rated Hoosiers which is the tyre i'm currently looking at. They look like a full slick but somehow get classed as a street radial?

the hoosiers got the DOT rating in the US but they arent street legal in australia, the BFG and MT street radial are able to be used on the street hear.

Grant from zoom likes the Hoosier, i dont know what they are like price wise, but i am thinking of trying the MT next as they are far cheaper than the BFG

if your running Mid 120mph you will be knocking on the door of a ten with a 1.6 to 1.7 sixty foot. 1.8 to 1.9 you'll be looking at a low 11.
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: Good mph....no traction Tue, 06 September 2005 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there's a bloke in canberra www.200sex.com.au that sells the nittos..
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Good mph....no traction Tue, 06 September 2005 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From reading on the US sites they like
1. MT
2. BFG
3. Nitto

They also said that the Nittos were actually good on the street. Zoom also said this in an article about the BFG’s though.

I use Simex’s which is what ms-75 used in his crown for an 11.2 with a slightly slower 60ft than the bfg’s. But for $110 a tyre, I am not complaining Razz
Turbo_Tim
Regular

February 2005
Re: Good mph....no traction Tue, 06 September 2005 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anyone have any under bonnet pics of this thing, I looked at some older threads but didnt find anything.
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Good mph....no traction Tue, 06 September 2005 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Hoosiers still count as a street radial here though right?

Hoosiers or MT, i just want something that will do the job without breaking the bank
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Good mph....no traction Tue, 06 September 2005 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why do you want a street radial?

I would only get one if you are racing in a class that requires them. Otherwise, just get some Hoosier or MT slicks as they are cheaper anyway Smile The only downside is that people say you are "cheating" because the Japanese don't use slicks Rolling Eyes
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Good mph....no traction Tue, 06 September 2005 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
street slicks are the best

u really only need full slicks for low low times

anyway once u get traction yr top end speed might decrease abit
while yr times get quicker too
depends how much u were spinning

once u set the traction control on the autronic u can adjust how much percentage slip u want

u need abt of slip so as the engine doesnt bog down

its very fiddly to set up but most drag cars are a pain to setup in the traction suspension area anyway
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Good mph....no traction Tue, 06 September 2005 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's a street car so i want to run a street legal tyre...same reason i run street legal rubber at Wakefield Park. The lines are getting more and more blurred for sure but either way i'll be too quick to run a crossply slick
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: Good mph....no traction Wed, 07 September 2005 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

but either way i'll be too quick to run a crossply slick

????
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Good mph....no traction Wed, 07 September 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My understanding was that at the pace i'd be running i'd have to run a crossply front as well??
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: Good mph....no traction Wed, 07 September 2005 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indeed.. you don't really want to run a mix of crossply and radials..

drag radials are probably your best bet...

if you want to go really fast, go to a crossply and get some space savers with front runners Smile of course, full slicks will probably hurt your driveline...

you could probable go quite well in a street tire class at jambo or simular..

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Good mph....no traction Wed, 07 September 2005 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Except v8's aren't allowed at Jambo or in Sport Compact.

I know slicks are harder on the driveline but why exactly is this? If you have slicks with a nice soft sidewall that twist on the launch, isn't that reducing stress in the driveline by taking it up in the tyres. Rather than harder sidewall street tyres that won't twist.

[Updated on: Wed, 07 September 2005 23:04]

WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Good mph....no traction Thu, 08 September 2005 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Thu, 08 September 2005 09:03

Except v8's aren't allowed at Jambo or in Sport Compact.

I know slicks are harder on the driveline but why exactly is this? If you have slicks with a nice soft sidewall that twist on the launch, isn't that reducing stress in the driveline by taking it up in the tyres. Rather than harder sidewall street tyres that won't twist.

I thought the reason that slicks would be harder on the driveline would be purely down to the fact that they grip harder then street tyres and hence more torque/power is transferred into the driveline which creates more wear and stress?

[Updated on: Thu, 08 September 2005 00:10]

SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: Good mph....no traction Thu, 08 September 2005 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chris: v8's are allowed at jambo, but they have to be an import.. like a celsior etc, there was a skyline with a (vq45?) v8 in it there last year.. a twin turbo lexus v8 powered celica would be most welcome i'd recon Smile

i would assume again because of the sheer amount of grip that a slick allows.. that said, mechanical sympathy goes a very long way..
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Good mph....no traction Thu, 08 September 2005 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Really? First I have heard of that. I thought it was 4's, rotaries and import 6's. Didn't know they extended it to import 8's because there is no where for a v8 to fit into sport compact rules and that is what the classes are based on this year.
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: Good mph....no traction Thu, 08 September 2005 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm nfi.. i guess the v8 i saw didn't really race last year... but the street tire classes are pretty much run what ya brung...

actually i think there was a v8 soarer racing..
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Good mph....no traction Thu, 08 September 2005 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I think soarers are the exception to the rule that you can't race a car that comes out with a v8 in it.

and vl turbos.

[Updated on: Thu, 08 September 2005 03:51]

JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Good mph....no traction Thu, 08 September 2005 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A moot point as i won't be running at either Jambo or any sanctioned event...street meet at WSID would be about it. It's not a drag car and will never have the suspension setup to be one. I just wanna run as good a time as the setup allows.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Good mph....no traction Thu, 08 September 2005 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another argument against running full slicks on the rear (apart from those mentioned already) is that you'd have a mongrel of a time finding front runners with a diameter & offset to clear your large brakes. Most front runner rims & tyres are 15" diameter, and they are expensive enough considering the limited use you'd ever get out of them (unless you do the bodgy & get tractor tyres for them Wink)

Radials are the go Smile especially considering the awesome results people have been getting lately.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Good mph....no traction Sun, 11 September 2005 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Methinks certain drivetrain components will need to be upgraded before you try any more 1/4 mile shenannigans. Wink
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Good mph....no traction Mon, 12 September 2005 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm up for giving it one more try Wink
vanguard
Newcomer

September 2005
Re: Good mph....no traction Tue, 13 September 2005 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just thinking; Have you considered some kind of boost control, such as a two stage with a steering wheel mounted push button which gives minimal boost in 1st and perhaps 2nd gears? Your probably running external gates however, so I'm not so sure how technically this would work...
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Good mph....no traction Tue, 13 September 2005 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the autronic can control boost in gears.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Good mph....no traction Tue, 13 September 2005 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bloody quick runs

remember that track runs will always be quicker than a g-tech, cause traction will be better.

soarers CANNOT run in sport compact, VL's can cause they have such a big cult following, soarers are getting a bigger following so i'd say they will be allowed to run soon enough
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Good mph....no traction Tue, 13 September 2005 11:24 Go to previous message
Mr DOHC wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 20:38

soarers CANNOT run in sport compact, VL's can cause they have such a big cult following, soarers are getting a bigger following so i'd say they will be allowed to run soon enough

You sure? I am pretty sure I read about a month back the revisions to the rules which included vl's and soarers as the only cars that were the exceptions. I will check.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Cleaning PS Resorvoir
Next Topic:power fc for 4ag
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 21:16:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070669651031494 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.