Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Jarrod
Newcomer

September 2005
MGB in need of Jap induction Sun, 11 September 2005 15:14 Go to next message
Giday guys.

My name is Jarrod, im with the Melbourne MG Car Club, as you can imagine, most of the members are of a "mature" age and complete purists. I on the other hand I am the exact opposite Razz

I'm interested in placing some kind of induction system on my 1969 MGB Roadster, either turbo/supercharger, am probably leaning towards supercharger as it seems like an easier setup for a first timer.

There are MG Supercharger kits avaliable, but they are just a rediculous price.

Ive seen a few superchargers on ebay, in particular toyota ones. Ive been told that the MR2 supercharger is a relatively strong charger and would be a good base to begin the appropriate mods.

Any advice you guys could give in regard to addaptations etc for a toyota induction system would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Jarrod

Send a private message to this user    
Starfire
Regular

December 2004
Re: MGB in need of Jap induction Sun, 11 September 2005 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey dude,

Depending on how impure you are willing to be I would suggest that you ditch whatever engine is in the MG and replace it with a 4AGZE (as you would find in the supercharged MR2 or Levin/Trueno corollas).

1.6L, 16 valve twin cam engine.

The earlier (MR2) versions have an air flow meter, 8:1 compression and a distributor. They produce 145hp in stock form.

The later ones have a MAP sensor, 8.9:1 compression and coil packs. They produce 165hp.

A larger crank pulley kit will have them producing more boost and should put quite a healthy smile on your face.

An added bonus of the 4AG series of engine is that with a decent exhaust they are one of the best sounding 4cyl engines around.
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: MGB in need of Jap induction Sun, 11 September 2005 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hahah nice, I've almost talked Dad into buying another MG B, he used to have one when they first came out, and put a 20v 4A in it. he seems keen!

So I'll take any information you get regarding an MG > 4a swap, should you proceed up that path.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: MGB in need of Jap induction Mon, 12 September 2005 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jarrod wrote on Mon, 12 September 2005 01:14

Giday guys.

My name is Jarrod, im with the Melbourne MG Car Club, as you can imagine, most of the members are of a "mature" age and complete purists. I on the other hand I am the exact opposite Razz

I'm interested in placing some kind of induction system on my 1969 MGB Roadster, either turbo/supercharger, am probably leaning towards supercharger as it seems like an easier setup for a first timer.

There are MG Supercharger kits avaliable, but they are just a rediculous price.

Ive seen a few superchargers on ebay, in particular toyota ones. Ive been told that the MR2 supercharger is a relatively strong charger and would be a good base to begin the appropriate mods.

Any advice you guys could give in regard to addaptations etc for a toyota induction system would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Jarrod

remind us what the engine is in the MG?
siamese port and 1.8L (???)

if siamese port, SC would have to be draw thru...or TBI...

4AG in MG would make it go like it was originally meant to.. minus the electrical gremlins.. Razz

but anyway, what engine capacity/porting, what rpm do you intend to run and what boost.

Cya, Stewart
Jarrod
Newcomer

September 2005
Re: MGB in need of Jap induction Mon, 12 September 2005 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi guys, thanks for the replies...

I'm really not interested in doing an engine swap, if i was to do it, i wouldnt go another 4cyl, id go a v8 rover. I've spent too my money already on this engine to warrant a dif 4cyl.

But none the less, the MG engine,
is a inline 4 cyl
its a 1800cc
single cam
currently redlines at 5500 on the standard cam

engine mods i have are
-extractors + exhaust
-cold air intake
-1&3/4" SU carbies
-threw away the air filter casing (just a backing plate on the back of the filters)

Im not sure what u mean by a siamese port?

I'd like to run something small like 7-10 psi, nothing insane, just something to make it scoot around a bit quicker.

Any ideas,

CHeers Jarrod Smile
Jarrod
Newcomer

September 2005
Re: MGB in need of Jap induction Mon, 12 September 2005 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi guys, thanks for the replies...

I'm really not interested in doing an engine swap, if i was to do it, i wouldnt go another 4cyl, id go a v8 rover. I've spent too my money already on this engine to warrant a dif 4cyl.

But none the less, the MG engine,
is a inline 4 cyl
its a 1800cc
single cam
currently redlines at 5500 on the standard cam

engine mods i have are
-extractors + exhaust
-cold air intake
-1&3/4" SU carbies
-threw away the air filter casing (just a backing plate on the back of the filters)

I'd like to run something small like 7-10 psi, nothing insane, just something to make it scoot around a bit quicker.

Any ideas,

CHeers Jarrod Smile
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MGB in need of Jap induction Mon, 12 September 2005 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Methinks toyota sc14 supercharger with suck-thru 2 inch SU, non intercooled would be great for some extra get up and go.

My dad is currently doing a similar thing on his mg-td. Apparently the toyota chargers are similar is shape and style to some of the blowers used in early MGs, and may not void historic rego.
toyoda
Regular

November 2003
Re: MGB in need of Jap induction Mon, 12 September 2005 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Currently looking at a similar setup into my MGA using an 1800 MGB engine.

Carb would need to be downstream of the supercharger and Fuel mix would need to be drawn through supercharger.

This shouldnt be a problem as the vanes are Teflon coated.

You would need to avoid a high boost unless you put some low compression pistons from say a Austin 1800.

Supercharger would need to be as close to the inlet as possible but having the exhaust the same side could be a problem - a plenum chamber would also be agood idea to allow for changes in air flow.

Just remember that the early MG's had superchargers mounted in front of the grille with a carby sticking out in front - worked for them !

Toyoda
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: MGB in need of Jap induction Mon, 12 September 2005 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jarrod wrote on Mon, 12 September 2005 17:31

Any ideas,

CHeers Jarrod Smile

siamese port = either 2 or 3 intake ports, instead of the usual 4.. i thought some MG's had that (or was it minis?)

with that redline, you could easily use the smaller SC12 to good effect. you could use a carby, or you could use a cheap injection system like Megasquirt Razz.. than you can even run a small intercooler, and continue to use the supercharger clutch to turn it off when not needed....

if you are going to the trouble of SC, you may as well inject it at the same time Wink
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: MGB in need of Jap induction Mon, 12 September 2005 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The SC12 works nicely on a Mini - there is even a kit available in to fit it now!

I see no reason why an SC12 or even an SC14 would not work on an MGB in a draw through setup. I say go for it! Smile

BTW, yes the MGB does have siamesed ports. Two inlet ports, three exhaust ports, just like a Mini.
Starfire
Regular

December 2004
Re: MGB in need of Jap induction Mon, 12 September 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hate to say it man,

But with a single cam siamese port engine pulling 5500 rpm I just wouldnt bother.

Sell the engine to a purist and go with the 4AGZE - you can get them for around $2000 and they are a great little engine.

2 cams, 7500 redline and 145+hp.

They are also quite small and light for an iron blocked engine.
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: MGB in need of Jap induction Tue, 13 September 2005 02:27 Go to previous message
Sell the MG and buy a Datsun 2000 Sports Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:weird ass exhaust noise.
Next Topic:supra 6spd vs IS200 6spd
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 02:09:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058519840240479 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.