Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » E58 LSD gearbox internals into E51 ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
nick.parker
Regular

January 2005
E58 LSD gearbox internals into E51 ? Tue, 13 September 2005 03:33 Go to next message

Hi,

Does anyone know if the E58 LSD internals would fit into an E51 MR2 gearbox? I have a feeling that the drive shafts are slightly larger and also the final drive of the E58 is slightly higher.

Its probably a lot easier just to 'drill the hole' and use the E51 selector shaft to relocate the shifter cables to the right side for the AW11, but I'm just curious.

Anyone know where can I find info about the gear ratios of the E51, E58? I'm using the E58 for the viscous LSD and better synchros.

Regards, Nick
  Send a private message to this user    
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: E58 LSD gearbox internals into E51 ? Tue, 13 September 2005 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i belive they are very similar and the casings are similar except for the shift selector.

you can get custom shift linkages made up...

What e51 parts do you have?? a complete box ... driveshafts???
Lachie
Regular

January 2004
Re: E58 LSD gearbox internals into E51 ? Tue, 13 September 2005 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a thought but maybe you could swap the diff centre over? Sorry if thats a stupid comment, I only an east west engine for the first time recently and I've never pulled a box like this apart.
Might be worth a look though...
nick.parker
Regular

January 2005
Re: E58 LSD gearbox internals into E51 ? Tue, 13 September 2005 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,
I have a complete E58 with drive shafts. And a complete E51 in my AW11! I would rather get the E58 all readied up and THEN take my car off the road, but I need the E51 selector to put into the E58 box. Interestingly I've read that E58 is 3.9:1 final drive and E51 is 4.3:1. So 100kph in second gear at a smidge over 7500 should be possible, that would make for a good 0-100kph.

What did you mean about custom shift linkages? Does somebody make a set?

I thought about longer shifter cables, but this has the problem that the cables would have to be VERY long and go around the engine to get to the box at the right angle/side.

Cheers, Nick
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: E58 LSD gearbox internals into E51 ? Tue, 13 September 2005 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it depends if he has the correct driveshafts or not etc otherwise its a custom job but that is the most logical soloution. It would also be worth rebuilding the gearbox with the updated synchros from toyota as you will have the box apart anyways
Lachie
Regular

January 2004
Re: E58 LSD gearbox internals into E51 ? Tue, 13 September 2005 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why not find an E51 selector at the wreckers/importers then get, buy it but tell them your not sure if it's going to fit or not, then when your E58 is in the car, return the selector from your E51 to the wreckers, claiming it doesn't fit!

edit: or you could find a good wrecker and let them know what your doing, they might be happy to do it anyway

and like 4agte said, rebuild it while it's out, but add bearings to the cost as well, cause if you've done enough k's to wear out the synchros, then you've done enough k's to wear out the bearings IMO

[Updated on: Tue, 13 September 2005 05:48]

nick.parker
Regular

January 2005
Re: E58 LSD gearbox internals into E51 ? Tue, 13 September 2005 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Lachie,

Synchros seem to wear out a lot faster than bearings! My E51 only has 100Kms on it, the box is fine except its just a bastard to change gears fast at high revs in low gears (6K RPM upwards). Particularly 2nd to 3rd when done near 7K RPM is the show stopper.
All MR2SCs I driven have terrible 2-3 synchros. I think I'll just bite the bullet, whack in the E58, which will _hopefully_ work with my E51 selector.

Cheers, Nick
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: E58 LSD gearbox internals into E51 ? Tue, 13 September 2005 07:07 Go to previous message
yeah my first gearbox did that was a real c*nt of a thing to drive just got a new lsd box in there and it feels wonderfull. I am however rebuilding my original lsd box with new bearings and synchros just doing it slowly until so that one day i can have a loverly new reconditioned box
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:[AE86] 18mm rotor spec caliper
Next Topic:3SGE & North/South Installation
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 01:54:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053389072418213 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.