Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
BabyZ
Regular

January 2003
Odd 1JZ behaviour Tue, 13 September 2005 07:04 Go to next message
Well, I finally (!!) got the 1JZ into Cressida project running (thanks Sideshow). Didn't take long at all, once I actually started work on it in earnest.

Trailered it to the exhaust shop on Monday, and drove it home today. What a beautiful motor!! So smooth Smile

Anyway, on boost (not that I was really giving it much at all - it's still running a stock fuel pump) it makes a very distinctive slurping noise. (This may be normal for turbos/1JZ's - I've never owned one before!!)

But every time it hits boost, there is a very distinctive rich-fuelly kinda smell in the cabin. And it is instantaneous - almost like whatever it is is injecting the odour straight into the cabin (which is unlikely).

No sign of smoke or anything that I could see.

It is a bit hard to work out in the workshop as, obviously, it's not going to make boost in Park!

Any ideas, oh gurus of Toymods? Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
1JRocket
Regular

July 2005
Re: Odd 1JZ behaviour Tue, 13 September 2005 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sideshow mentioned he was heading your way. Even asked me which way would be quicker since I'm from up there, sorta.

I have no idea about your noise, but have two questions for you.

Is your overdrive light flashing after a minute or so of driving with O/D on?

How is your fuel economy. I finished my Cressida a couple of months ago and it was a JZX81 into MX83 conversion and something is wrong and it is drinking like a fish!

I'm drying some diagnostic stuff, but thought I'd see if yours is the same.

Cheers
BabyZ
Regular

January 2003
Re: Odd 1JZ behaviour Tue, 13 September 2005 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, we didn't pick it up at first, but the O/D flashes.

Sideshow reckons he has an answer (which sounds pretty feasible to me), so we'll let you know when it is sorted.

No idea about thirst yet - but it better be good!
wumpagrande1992
Regular

July 2002
Re: Odd 1JZ behaviour Tue, 13 September 2005 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My OD light flashes too. Then sometimes it goes off.

As for the smell, mine did smell for a while until the oil all burnt off the engine. Also do you have a charcoal canister fitted? Mine smelt like fuel without it.

Stock pump is fine for stock boost.
1JRocket
Regular

July 2005
Re: Odd 1JZ behaviour Tue, 13 September 2005 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine never smelt, but I have always had the charcoal canister. I just took the bracket and canister off the front cut and my mechanic screwed it into the right hadn inner guard.

Sidshow reacons that the OD flashes 'cause there is no secondary speed signal from the ABS. He has a box or something that he can fit for $250'ish. I will get it done, but its alot of money to pay to stop a light flashing.
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: Odd 1JZ behaviour Wed, 14 September 2005 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think to get rid of it you need to fit the MX83 transmission casing to the transmission that comes with the 1JZ, as the casing has the sensor on it. I'd love to fix mine flashing but for $250 I can't justify it.
I get around 14L/100km around town. 12L on the freeway. Replacing my thermostat helped a bit. I have just retuned my SAFC myself, and leaned out the low-load mixtures a bit, so we'll see if the economy improves. 1J's run very rich stock.
No idea about the petrol smell, other than maybe an exhaust leak?
wumpagrande1992
Regular

July 2002
Re: Odd 1JZ behaviour Wed, 14 September 2005 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting about the box. So in theory, the traction control could possibly be made to work? As I understand it the Cressida is 3ch ABS and the JZX81 was 4ch (Not 100% on this, I know they are different.)

I said, 'who needs traction control anyway' but in the wet with the GF driving it could end in tears.
BabyZ
Regular

January 2003
Re: Odd 1JZ behaviour Wed, 14 September 2005 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Having no charcoal cannister probably explains the smell, if not the noise Rolling Eyes

It was something I should have fitted before the engine went in, because it is in such an awkward spot. But I didn't realise until it was too late that the bracket is spot-welded to the firewall, not bolted on Sad

In theory, you could probably use a Jaycar 'speedo correcter' (~$45) to correct the signal and fix the O/D flash. But it works on outputting a percentage of whatever you put in, rather than Sideshows one which gives you a specific pulse division.

But if you wanted to spend the time sorting out what % gave you the desired divisor, it might be a cheaper option.

I understood that the ABS were all 3ch, but that the differences lay in the sensors and/or ABS computer. In theory, I think traction/ABS could be made to work, but I for one wouldn't have the time nor patience to do it! I assume it would involve getting an ABS computer from the donor car, however this is largely speculation on my part.
1JRocket
Regular

July 2005
Re: Odd 1JZ behaviour Wed, 14 September 2005 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The bracket is spot welded to the front cut, which should be empty now? I just used a cold chisel to take it off - came off clecanly. then drilled holes in the tabs and and the inner guard. Screwed it down with self tappers, and extended the lines.

$250 is alot of money for a flashing light and I do still need a propper exhaust!
BabyZ
Regular

January 2003
Re: Odd 1JZ behaviour Wed, 14 September 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe - yeah, I was just about to head off to the front cut with the cold chisel now ...

I hear you on the $250 to stop a flashing light - that's why I suggested the $45 option (even better if you could borrow one to test with first - others on these forums have them)

Just as long as the blinking O/D isn't 1JZ code for "A sensor is munted, and I now plan to burn inordinate quantities of fuel until you do something about it" !!

Cool
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Odd 1JZ behaviour Wed, 14 September 2005 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my OD light flashes as well. I don't really care though as it drives fine Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Odd 1JZ behaviour Wed, 14 September 2005 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doesn't the blinking auto light mean it's throwing a code?
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Odd 1JZ behaviour Wed, 14 September 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u dont need to change the back of the gbox just because of the sensors

its easy to do b4 gbox is in car but with an electronic device u can bypass the abs ecu

one of the speed sensors goes from gbox to abs ecu to engine ecu

i do have a cure for it just not many people want to pay to get it fixed

anyway i know what the prob is and how to fix it just have to find the correct device to fix it

my crown 1uz had exact same prob with o/d light and i cured it with a device and i can sort of control when the gbox changes gears
1JRocket
Regular

July 2005
Re: Odd 1JZ behaviour Wed, 14 September 2005 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, what he said...
BabyZ
Regular

January 2003
Re: Odd 1JZ behaviour Thu, 15 September 2005 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, well, I have no choice but to pay the extra to make das blinkenlight go away.

I'm actually building the car for my old man (75 yr old closet hoon, who'd probably rather die than be seen at a bowls club). So everything has to be exactly right - including no weird flashing lights on the dash.

That's why I got sideshow on the job Smile

But none of this explains this weird slurping noise. Seriously, it sounds like someone using the vacuum cleaner to empty the bath. Or do all turbos sound like that? Razz

(And I can't believe I participated so willingly in the hijack of my own thread!)
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Odd 1JZ behaviour Thu, 15 September 2005 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why dont you just take the bulb out?... simple fix you can always tel when o/d is on anyway and by the position of the switch
1JRocket
Regular

July 2005
Re: Odd 1JZ behaviour Thu, 15 September 2005 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your particitpation in the hijacking Baby Z. A good little conversation.

What sort of induction plumbing are you using before the turbo? Are you running the standard pipping from the turbos to the intercooler and then to the intake manifold?

Mine has the standard pipping from the turbos and to the single intake point above the dump. Then a piece of plasic pipe and a HKS pod. I can hear the sucking of the intake and the turbos spooling up but no vacume cleaner in a bath Laughing
BabyZ
Regular

January 2003
Re: Odd 1JZ behaviour Fri, 16 September 2005 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1JRocket wrote

Thanks for your particitpation in the hijacking Baby Z ... What sort of induction plumbing are you using

No worries - anything to drag out the gems of info on the 1JZ/Cressida Smile

Absolutely everything on this machine is standard at the moment, including all the inlet --> turbo --> intercooler --> plenum plumbing. Using the stock JZX81 airbox with a new Toyota 'paper' element filter. (I also have the HKS foam element for it, but it needs new foam as it has disintegrated.)

I am quite prepared to believe that the noise is normal, but judging from the noise in the cabin (which is, as you know, normally very quiet) it must sound pretty cool from outside Laughing Not that it is particularly loud, just very different!

berad wrote

why dont you just take the bulb out?

That would fall into my category of not being exactly right Razz. Considering my "customer", I want the car to look, feel and operate just like it would have done from the factory - had Toyota ever had the sense to send their real cars to our market Confused

[Updated on: Fri, 16 September 2005 08:59]

sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Odd 1JZ behaviour Tue, 27 September 2005 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey 1jrocket

will u still be coming up this way to fix yr o/d light

i sent babyz a signal adapter but it didnt fix the prob

so i need a car to do tests on to see what signal it needs

or if anyone has cressida in sydney with same prob email me

thanks
BabyZ
Regular

January 2003
Re: Odd 1JZ behaviour Sun, 02 October 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I fitted the charcoal cannister, and that has significantly reduced the fuel smell under boost. Not completely gone, but now down to reasonably tolerable levels. And it seems to be improving with driving, so maybe the cannister needed to be 'run in' again or something ...

New Walbro 255 fuel pump fitted today, too. Noisy little sucker Confused

Still working on the flashing O/D, but we'll beat it ... then I can reassemble the dash and it'll be finished!

For now ... Razz
1JRocket
Regular

July 2005
Re: Odd 1JZ behaviour Thu, 06 October 2005 06:24 Go to previous message
I'd love to come and get it sorted sideshow, but I'm os till the end of October.

The car is using heaps of petrol, so I have to sort that out, but once that is done I would love to come up and get the light sorted. If the Armidale guy can wait that long...

Maybe a Saturday morning?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:20v injectors- 2 or 3 nozzles?
Next Topic:Wheel stud sizes compared wid a hy/ excel
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:54:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070071220397949 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.