Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Parabolic sheet?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
shezza
Regular

March 2005
Parabolic sheet? Tue, 13 September 2005 09:05 Go to next message
Is there such thing? If not, can I get a parabolic reflector made for my headlight?
  Send a private message to this user    
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Parabolic sheet? Tue, 13 September 2005 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
theres some stuff called a freznel sheet, but im not sure wtf youd do with it in a headlight
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Parabolic sheet? Tue, 13 September 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://adrian.gimp.org/greg-fresnel.jpg
shezza
Regular

March 2005
Re: Parabolic sheet? Tue, 13 September 2005 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 19:12

theres some stuff called a freznel sheet, but im not sure wtf youd do with it in a headlight

reflector should give me a bit of a purple look. My hid's are white. If it doesnt cost much why not. ANy idea where I could find out more info on it?
shezza
Regular

March 2005
Re: Parabolic sheet? Tue, 13 September 2005 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wtf? Isnt that a magnyfying plastic sheet?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Parabolic sheet? Tue, 13 September 2005 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup...

ive got NFI what youre talking about a parabolic sheet. the only remotely related thing i can imagine is above
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Parabolic sheet? Tue, 13 September 2005 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shezza wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 19:05

Is there such thing? If not, can I get a parabolic reflector made for my headlight?

they are most easily found in other headlights.
alternatively, you could make a parabolic mold, then bend some material to fit (you wouldn't want it to be heat affectable tho), then get it plastic/chrome plated..

other headlights would be far easier.
shezza
Regular

March 2005
Re: Parabolic sheet? Tue, 13 September 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its your regular headlight reflector but it has a whole lot of prisms all over it. So it reflects the light differently. SO instead of being flat it has shapes all over it. New expensive cars tend to have them.
shezza
Regular

March 2005
Re: Parabolic sheet? Tue, 13 September 2005 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 19:39

shezza wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 19:05

they are most easily found in other headlights.
alternatively, you could make a parabolic mold, then bend some material to fit (you wouldn't want it to be heat affectable tho), then get it plastic/chrome plated..

other headlights would be far easier.

make a mold Shocked
not my line of work but Ill look into that I guess Smile
THx
Any other comments/ideas?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Parabolic sheet? Tue, 13 September 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shezza wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 19:29

reflector should give me a bit of a purple look. My hid's are white. If it doesnt cost much why not. ANy idea where I could find out more info on it?

a reflector will not change the colour. you just bought the wrong temperature range HID if you want the blue/purple look...

and a parabolic reflector (not a sheet) is either a siple parabola, or a multi faceted lens that replicates a parabola in a slightly smaller space, without a parabola's tight focus. a bit more dispersed.

http://www.ies.co.jp/math/java/conics/focus/focus.gif
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Parabolic sheet? Tue, 13 September 2005 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shezza wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 19:44

Its your regular headlight reflector but it has a whole lot of prisms all over it. So it reflects the light differently. SO instead of being flat it has shapes all over it. New expensive cars tend to have them.

i didn't say it would be easy... calculating all the angles and the beam spread i think would be beyond most people.

so you just have the HID's (minus one casing) and you are making reflectors???

why not just use a whole unit from a different car and stop buggerising around Very Happy
shezza
Regular

March 2005
Re: Parabolic sheet? Tue, 13 September 2005 10:19 Go to previous message
oldcorollas wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 19:52

shezza wrote on Tue, 13 September 2005 19:44

i didn't say it would be easy... calculating all the angles and the beam spread i think would be beyond most people.

so you just have the HID's (minus one casing) and you are making reflectors???

why not just use a whole unit from a different car and stop buggerising around Very Happy

Well my car is a mx83 cressida and the headlights are huge. I doubt any other headlight backing would suit.
If that was what you were thinking

[Updated on: Tue, 13 September 2005 10:22]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:power fc for 4ag
Next Topic:[AE86] 18mm rotor spec caliper
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 06:59:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066580772399902 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.