Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
MA61 strut braces Thu, 15 September 2005 12:56 Go to next message
I finally got my strut braces installed on the weekend. Hooray! Very Happy

The work was done by Peter Butler from Butler Metalcraft (aka RZ for those of you who frequent Performance Forums). The front brace is made from mild steel tube and it comes with its own special ferrous oxide coating. The rear brace is made from aluminium alloy tube and it bolts to the rear seat latch mounting points. I haven't tried re-installing the latches yet, but this will involve longer bolts and a bit of gentle adjustment with the LoveMaker(tm).

I haven't had a chance to punt the car across a decent twisty road yet, but from driving it around the suburbs it's obvious the chassis feels a lot tighter under high cornering loads, especially in the front end. It probably wouldn't make such a difference with stock suspension, but since I can generate much higher cornering loads with my new setup (lots of camber, wide tyres) I think the front strut brace especially will make a big difference.

As for the rear brace - I mostly did that because it was so easy to do. I'm not sure if it really acheives anything though. Laughing

http://www.norbie.net/Project2JZ/StrutBrace/FrontBrace2.jpg

http://www.norbie.net/Project2JZ/StrutBrace/RearBrace2.jpg

More pics here. I've also updated the Project 2JZ page if anyone is interested (added battery relocation and brake upgrade information).

[Updated on: Thu, 15 September 2005 13:04]

Send a private message to this user    
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 strut braces Thu, 15 September 2005 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
re: the eninge bay brace... i mocked one up in a similar position - slightly further forward, and found it fouled the strengthening beams on the underside of the bonnet...

...im guessing theres no such issue that little furth back - interesting (and yours is mounted higher too. Confused
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MA61 strut braces Thu, 15 September 2005 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will be interesting to see if that clears the 1UZ

Norbie, can you take a photo from dead horizontal.
Or at least tell us if it remains below the guard level the whole time.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 strut braces Thu, 15 September 2005 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It had to be made high to clear the hugeness of the 2JZ, and it curves back so it doesn't foul the underside of the bonnet. It is pretty close though, in fact I had to remove the insulation material!

I reckon it would clear a 1UZ, although with its extra width the bends might have to be made further outboard with a sharper angle... if you get what I mean. I'll get some more pics on the weekend if I remember.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: MA61 strut braces Thu, 15 September 2005 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did the ferrous oxide coating come with stickes for the front guards? Very Happy

seriously: are you able to advise on the thickness of the strut plates and wall thickness/diam of the tube for the front bar? might be a useful project to (re)learn welding with.

tia, charles.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 strut braces Thu, 15 September 2005 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
was there a reason you went for the straight front brace instead of the triangle 2-piece bolted to the firewall?
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA61 strut braces Thu, 15 September 2005 16:52 Go to previous message
Looks good, especially that coating Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Tseries axle. it has been confirm
Next Topic:2tg timing
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-