Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Dip stick depth in sump Mon, 19 September 2005 00:10 Go to next message
Hi all, on my 3sgte i'm making up a custom sump (using old sump just changing shape and enlarging etc).

Anyways.. the dip stick will now go into the sump itself, and not through the block where it used to. This is because the turbo is in the way, also that part of the sump has been cut away and no longer exists..

The problem i'm having is determining how low into the sump the dip stick should go. I've got such a mix matched bunch of parts, 2S sump, 3S block and dip stick, 2S pickup etc, the fact 3sgte's originally sit on a 30 degree or something angle.. that it makes it really hard to work out how it used to be from factory.

From my measurements, it seems the dip stick sits very low in the sump and wouldn't put a whole lot of oil over the level of the pickup.. Which is a concern and makes me think with all my bits n parts this is wrong.

Does anyone know where the full mark on the dip stick should be in relation to the pickup? - doesn't have to be 3sgte specific I suppose, just in general engine design.

Thanks
Joel

Send a private message to this user    
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Dip stick depth in sump Mon, 19 September 2005 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont think im answering your question, just throwing you an idea.
how many litres is your sup going to hold? say 4.5L, could ya fill the sump with 4.5l of oil then postion the dipstick so it reads full?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Dip stick depth in sump Mon, 19 September 2005 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm yeah, i suppose if i knew how much oil a 2s engine holds (as thats the basis of my sump and pickup).. then work out how much i've enlarged the sump by.. that could work.

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Dip stick depth in sump Mon, 19 September 2005 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had the same problem when fitting the dip stick to my sump. I ended up making the high level make about 2mm under the original 2S baffel plate in the sump.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Dip stick depth in sump Mon, 19 September 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That sounds quite high compared to the estimates I was working out.

But yeah would prefer too much oil than not enough.

I might go with that also then.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Dip stick depth in sump Mon, 19 September 2005 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get someone with a standard 3S to fill their engine till it reads full, then remove the sump with oil still in there. measure how far below the block the oil level is.

fill your sump to the same level, bolt it up to the block and see where itr reads on your new dipstick. then scribe in the high level on the dipstick.

....just a suggestion
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Dip stick depth in sump Mon, 19 September 2005 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Mon, 19 September 2005 11:27

hmm yeah, i suppose if i knew how much oil a 2s engine holds (as thats the basis of my sump and pickup).. then work out how much i've enlarged the sump by.. that could work.

I'll see if my manual at home has the capacity for the 2 s motor, it for the rt142 and st141 corona will get back to you
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Dip stick depth in sump Mon, 19 September 2005 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joel, does your sump have a windage tray? If so the oil level, should always be below this tray, otherwise the de-aeration effect accomplished by the tray will be negated.

If you have the tray, then it should be quite simple to work ot the dip stick markings.

If you have no windage tray, the most important thing to consider, is the rotating crankshaft, must at all times be clear of the oil in the sump. Just imagine those crankshaft counterweights, being slowed by the dip into the oil. Shocked Shocked Shocked

cheers Chuck.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Dip stick depth in sump Mon, 19 September 2005 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I have a windage tray, so basically just keep the oil level under this and should be pretty safe?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Dip stick depth in sump Mon, 19 September 2005 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Mon, 19 September 2005 14:23

Yeah I have a windage tray, so basically just keep the oil level under this and should be pretty safe?

Yep. exactly what I said above.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Dip stick depth in sump Mon, 19 September 2005 04:27 Go to previous message
Great thanks all for your help Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:oil viscosity -power loss
Next Topic:will a 14" 60 profile tyre and a 15" 60 profile tyre have same rolling diameter?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 12:56:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057511329650879 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.