Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » MA61 strut tops... same as???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
MA61 strut tops... same as??? Sun, 02 October 2005 10:31 Go to next message
i hear from bacchhyy that the bolt pattern of the front strut tops from the xa6x celicas is different to the ma61? if this is the case (which i admit, suprised me) what other models does the ma61 share its bolt pattern with? mx73? mx83? etc etc??

thanks guys!

cheers
ed
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 strut tops... same as??? Sun, 02 October 2005 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MX83/JZX81 etc is the same PCD, not sure if it will work with MA61 springs though. S13 strut tops also fit with minor slotting of the holes.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 strut tops... same as??? Sun, 02 October 2005 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Sun, 02 October 2005 20:37

S13 strut tops also fit with minor slotting of the holes.

bacchhyy reckons they don't Confused

ive found some mx83 cusco tops though...

[Updated on: Sun, 02 October 2005 10:51]

Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 strut tops... same as??? Sun, 02 October 2005 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Sun, 02 October 2005 20:37

MX83/JZX81 etc is the same PCD, not sure if it will work with MA61 springs though. S13 strut tops also fit with minor slotting of the holes.

Actually, given that S13 strut tops fit xA6x celicas with minro slotting, I doubt it.

xA6x Supras & Celicas have same pattern but offset around the circle differently.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MA61 strut tops... same as??? Sun, 02 October 2005 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Correct

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=60220&rid=4164&S=d8aded7b4cbeb1a7bbd68e8 63d400d13&pl_view=&start=0#msg_num_0
Refer to last post.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: MA61 strut tops... same as??? Sun, 02 October 2005 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but if there is enough space on the plate, why not just redrill the holes? they are only there to allow the bolts to clamp the top plate to the body..... and the plates will always be pushed up into the body.... how far are they out??

my big ugly plan was to grab a few sets and just redrill/shapt the top plates to suit whatever car they go into...
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 strut tops... same as??? Sun, 02 October 2005 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good idea, the patterns are offset enough to do this. Saw a pic once celicasupra once of xA6x Celica T3 tops fitted to an xA6x Supra. Had a look for it but couldn't find it.

EDIT: the strut tops were redrilled, not the camber plates. No way redilling camber plates would work with T3 items, but might with circular plates like (Cuscos?).

[Updated on: Sun, 02 October 2005 12:22]

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 strut tops... same as??? Sun, 02 October 2005 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok,

so for reference:

xA6x CELICA strut tower:

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/soarer21/PICT0077.JPG

Supra strut tower (couldnt be fucked going downstairs to take a photo of mine):

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/7043/ma61tower4rb.jpg

ae85 camber plate (?a6x celica/s13 similar):

http://www.importbitz.com/images/susptoyota/ae86.jpg

MX83GX81 camber plates:

http://www.importbitz.com/images/susptoyota/jzx81-02.jpg

http://www.importbitz.com/images/susptoyota/gx81.jpg

assuming that the mx83/ma61 PCA is the same, it looks like they might have a similar rotational offset as the supra's as well... (though it does look a little dicey)...

ill look into it some more Nod

cheers
ed

[Updated on: Sun, 02 October 2005 12:54]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 strut tops... same as??? Sun, 02 October 2005 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MX83 strut tops are a direct fit (no mods required) but the rotational offset is slightly out. Not enough to worry me.

This is the best photo I could find, it's not exactly clear though:

http://www.norbie.net/Project2JZ/BrakeUpgrade/StrutTop.jpg
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 strut tops... same as??? Sun, 02 October 2005 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EDIT: double post Mad

[Updated on: Sun, 02 October 2005 12:56]

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 strut tops... same as??? Sun, 02 October 2005 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhh, much as i eyeballed... looks like the more you dial in the camber, you reduce the castor a little (ie slot is angled inwards/forwards)

it'd be a poofteenth of a degree though
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 strut tops... same as??? Sun, 02 October 2005 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually more camber will increase the castor a little (I'm pretty sure), but like you say there's SFA in it.

I might add that camber is the best suspension mod I've ever done since I started modifying cars 10+ years ago. I always knew a bit more camber was good for cornering, but I didn't realise how much difference a mere 3 degrees can make!
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 strut tops... same as??? Sun, 02 October 2005 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Sun, 02 October 2005 23:00

Actually more camber will increase the castor a little (I'm pretty sure), but like you say there's SFA in it.

you sure? it looks like the slot goes forwards and inwards, thus reducing castor with increasing -ve camber

Norbie wrote on Sun, 02 October 2005 23:00

I always knew a bit more camber was good for cornering, but I didn't realise how much difference a mere 3 degrees can make!

thats why i dont care about scrubbed out rear tyres Wink
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: MA61 strut tops... same as??? Sun, 02 October 2005 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
even if thats the case, just flip the top plate over and use it on the other side..

KE70 and AE86 use the same top, just on opposite sides...
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 strut tops... same as??? Sun, 02 October 2005 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Sun, 02 October 2005 23:06

you sure? it looks like the slot goes forwards and inwards, thus reducing castor with increasing -ve camber

No I'm not sure. I'll have a closer look tomorrow.
ed_ma61 wrote on Sun, 02 October 2005 23:06

thats why i dont care about scrubbed out rear tyres Wink

The rear is a different story entirely. As you're aware the camber doesn't remain anywhere near static; as soon as the suspension compresses the camber increases. If it was a static ~3.8 degrees it wouldn't worry me, but when cornering/accelerating it probably increases to 5 or 6! That's just way too much for the rear wheels in any situation.

Front camber is a different story, more is better! If my car was a pure track racer I'd go at least 5 degrees. Some sports sedans run 7 and above! Shocked
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA61 strut tops... same as??? Sun, 02 October 2005 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm, anyone tried to fit some form of better suspension to the rear end, such as that used on the front end of FWD cars? That sounds like a messy expensive but good possibility Very Happy
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 strut tops... same as??? Sun, 02 October 2005 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Sun, 02 October 2005 23:22

even if thats the case, just flip the top plate over and use it on the other side..

KE70 and AE86 use the same top, just on opposite sides...

interesting point - stewy, youre a thinker

as for the rear camber, totally agree with the bad dynamic nature of the lowered camber... am currently investing in steps to reduce this (but certainly not eliminating the static -3deg, i love it!)
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 strut tops... same as??? Sun, 02 October 2005 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This plan would involve moving the suspension pivot points, yes? I'd be interested to see how you'd go about doing this. I know you can get a few mm by removing the rubber mounts on the crossmember, but beyond that it gets hard!
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 strut tops... same as??? Sun, 02 October 2005 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nup, not quite there stewart - the mx83 ones are the same when you flip them over - no geometry change...

norbie- that and the use of a fuck-off big anti-sway bar (20mm rear/30mm front)

[Updated on: Sun, 02 October 2005 14:13]

Wezelton
Regular

July 2004
Re: MA61 strut tops... same as??? Thu, 20 October 2005 09:46 Go to previous message
The S13 camber tops fit the XA6X, as said above, need minor filing.. No hassle tho.. Also S13 front strut tower brace fits, but needs minor modding to fit under the bonnet (and over a 1GGTE - Think it almost hits). If you want to go even further, S13 control arms, gemini rack ends, S13 coil overs with S13 tops.. you also get to run S13 or S14 hubs, so big brakes upgrade is easy, 4 or 5 stud Shocked But with running the S13 control arms, you get heaps of camber, somewhere near -6 -7 degrees, but you can bring it back a bit with camber tops, and also RCA's. If you still want to run toyota struts but get some sexy camber, sigma control arms work a treat, along with ra40 rack ends.. Either set up is going to give you camber.. think i've run a lil off topic but hey its all camber love in here Embarassed think i need a cold shower Embarassed

Wes
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:opening an AFM from a 20v Bad idea??
Next Topic:RA28 Diff conversion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 04:12:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051329135894775 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.