Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » What 2 do with appearing rust??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Gabz
Regular

January 2003
icon8.gif  What 2 do with appearing rust?? Mon, 06 January 2003 04:42 Go to next message
Ive just bought a TA22 celica and its body is completely straight with the paint in excelent cond.But there is sum minor rust starting 2 appear in sum places.I wont 2 get to it b4 it gets worse but i also dont wont to respray the car as it doesnt need it.any ideas on how to stop it worsening??
thnx
  Send a private message to this user    
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: What 2 do with appearing rust?? Mon, 06 January 2003 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where is the rust appearing? I've noticed that TA-22 and TA-23 cars have some pretty poor drainage on the rear corner of the side chassis rails near the wheel arches on the inside of the car. If you've got rust there like me, you probably need to cut the rust out and weld on a bloody think plate of steel to strengthen that bit up. If however you've only got surface rust on some panels then just sandblasting can sometimes work (as long as you aren't too harsh) or just grabbing wire brush attachment to an angle grinder Smile (note that's slightly dodgy way of doing things) and then using a rust converter and respraying the panel (as long as you can match the colour). Respraying is generally necessary to fix rust up.
The problem with rust, is if you don't nip it in the bud hard straight away, it'll come back and rear it's ugly head until your car is a chunk of rolling iron (II) oxide.
If however you just want to do a bandaid job and let your car slowly die without you noticing, just get a bit of touch up paint, matych the colour, put a bit of rust converter on the spot and spray over it and pretend that your car won't get any worse (well it won't for a couple of years anyway)
Gabz
Regular

January 2003
Re: What 2 do with appearing rust?? Mon, 06 January 2003 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No the rust is in a different spot to yours.Mine is on both bottom centres,one bit on the boot and sum in the engine bay btw the bonnet.Its all pretty minor so i mite take ur advice and try sandblasting.i did considered touching it up with the rust converter n touch up paint,but it would prob stand out as its hard 2 match up excatly.

I would give it a total respray but it seems stupid to waste such a good paintjob on a few spots.thnx anyway mate!
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: What 2 do with appearing rust?? Mon, 06 January 2003 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sometimes you can match up paint by tinting it or something, start out with something close and then tint it or change the shade slightly chemically to match. I'm not sure about the details tho.
If you know a good crash repairer, sometimes they can do the job for you to the nth degree, but I dunno about the cost. Find someone dodgy if you can as long as they can match paint and fix rust!
Gabz
Regular

January 2003
Re: What 2 do with appearing rust?? Mon, 06 January 2003 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah will do.i noe a dodgey panel beater that works 4 my uncle.i wanted 2 do it myself but il have 2 give him a go.
humble
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What 2 do with appearing rust?? Mon, 06 January 2003 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One word for you dude. POR-15.
Gabz
Regular

January 2003
Re: What 2 do with appearing rust?? Tue, 07 January 2003 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah.What does it do exactly and were do i get it.
Thnx mate
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What 2 do with appearing rust?? Tue, 07 January 2003 05:07 Go to previous message
http://ppc.au.com
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2TG Fuel Return Hose - Solex's
Next Topic:MR2 driveshafts
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 06:39:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066230297088623 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.