Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Some good advice for anyone with a motor!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
pomey
Regular

May 2005
Some good advice for anyone with a motor! Tue, 04 October 2005 07:42 Go to next message
Hello modders,

I've just finished re-building my 18RG with help from a very experienced motor enthusiast. He told me to get a speaker magnet roughly the same width as my oil filter and stick it to it to the top of the filter with duct tape. The reason being, as the internals rotate, move or whateva, they create tiny metal filings. Now these should be caught by the oil filter but not always. The magnet however attracts them to the top of the filter, keeps them there and hey presto, a significant reduction in filings and also wear on the engine bearings etc.

Now i'm sure some people have already thought of this but if not, i think it will prove very useful for the extension of engine life.

If anyone has any more simple yet effective ideas please feel free to add them. I know i'm a novice and still have a lot to learn!

Cheers, Pomey!
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Some good advice for anyone with a motor! Tue, 04 October 2005 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yah, i use a coupel of HDD magnets on the side of the filter.

you can buy specific ones from some US shops, which are a material jacket with magnets sewn in..

or, co and buy a bunch of small (5x3) rare earth magnets from a magnet specific shop (ie industrial magents stuff.. there's one near Mascot) and stick them all around... it does pick up filings.. dunno if it makes a huge difference in a motor that is being flogged anyway Wink
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Some good advice for anyone with a motor! Tue, 04 October 2005 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oil filter magnets have been around for a few years! dont use it on a new engine as the little bits floating around bed everything etc etc etc.you can get ones that are shaped like a filter that snap on.ive never used them as i dont see the point!what the filter misses is usually bearing coating and it isnt that bad as its very small and sacraficial.there is two trains of thought to them.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Some good advice for anyone with a motor! Tue, 04 October 2005 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bearing coating is importantly non magnetic.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Some good advice for anyone with a motor! Tue, 04 October 2005 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes but if you see what the magnet does it traps the coating with the iron etc.
mick
rokusan
Regular

September 2004
Re: Some good advice for anyone with a motor! Fri, 28 October 2005 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in regard to this topic about the filings etc. i am concerned about very fine metallic in my sump after priming the oil in a brand new engine? is this the bedding in stuff or bearing?
Help me because i dont know what to do about it? Sad
WYSIWYG
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: Some good advice for anyone with a motor! Fri, 28 October 2005 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
magnet on the filter sounds like a bad idea to me because you have oil pressure and blockage going on in there - granted that thats the job of the filter but its also a function of the oil pan to hold debris. this is why we see magnetic oil drain plugs that is to keep the debris from flowing away from the bottom of the oil pan where it is closer to where it belongs - the drainage Smile. a while ago i had a few magnets strapped under my oil pan, it has to be removeable so that the debris flows with the oil when drained
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: Some good advice for anyone with a motor! Fri, 28 October 2005 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah auto boxs have magnets in the drain pans that collect pieces of metal. I serviced one in a wide body a while back and the magnets were covered in metal.
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: Some good advice for anyone with a motor! Fri, 28 October 2005 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gen 3's run a magnetic sump plug...
Rallystanza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Some good advice for anyone with a motor! Fri, 28 October 2005 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rokusan wrote on Sat, 29 October 2005 01:37

in regard to this topic about the filings etc. i am concerned about very fine metallic in my sump after priming the oil in a brand new engine? is this the bedding in stuff or bearing?
Help me because i dont know what to do about it? Sad

The other thing that this may be is Carbon based assembly lube...

It can give off the appearance that your sump oil has metal in it...

Jeremy

[Updated on: Fri, 28 October 2005 23:38]

rokusan
Regular

September 2004
Re: Some good advice for anyone with a motor! Sun, 30 October 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah thanks, i checked to see if it was magnetic and it wasn't, but yea the studs came with a moly type silvery lube i used.
splatt
Regular

October 2004
Re: Some good advice for anyone with a motor! Sun, 30 October 2005 19:26 Go to previous message
if you need duct tape to hold the magnet on, you need a better magnet, the filter caseing is ferrous. I've been using magnets out of old computer hard drives, (when I use them as fridge magnets, my wife cant move them) put 1 on the filter casing and one on the outside of your sump (auto pan as well)they will hold crap on the other side.remove before changing and put them on again after.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:TA22 shock inserts.....same as AE86??
Next Topic:Oil Pumps, 2T-G cf. 3T-GTE spot the difference
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 10:46:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050621032714844 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.