Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Anyone got a 20v turbo?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Anyone got a 20v turbo? Wed, 05 October 2005 05:28 Go to next message
I was wondering if you could try something for me please.
Could you please try a run with the VVT connected and then disconnected, then post here when the turbo starts to make boost in both cases, and also in both cases if the engine still pulls well at higher revs.

I'm thinking that the turbo will wake up a lot earlier with the VVT on, and (hopefully) not die too much with it still on compared to the VVT being off.

TIA.
  Send a private message to this user    
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Anyone got a 20v turbo? Wed, 05 October 2005 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But Bill , how are they going to run a turbo with the stock ecu ?. Last one i have seen that tried a stock ecu with a turbo couldn't get near the rpm range where the vvt would have operated due it detonating to buggery . Maybe a piggy back that you can a alter the timing would make it able to use a stock ecu , or the eprom burning software that has modified excel files which you alter the mapping or ignition , injector cycle , and the cam points would be easier . There a few people with this around in this state now . But after going to the trouble of turboing the engine wouldn't a after market ecu be worth it ?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Anyone got a 20v turbo? Wed, 05 October 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Umm, where did he say about the stock ECU?
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Anyone got a 20v turbo? Wed, 05 October 2005 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 01:56

Ahh " I'm thinking that the turbo will wake up a lot earlier with the VVT on "

If you where using a aftermarket ecu you would be setting the point which this occurs wouldn't you think Rolling Eyes ? therefore you could alter the cam timing to produce a effect at any rpm

[Updated on: Wed, 05 October 2005 06:29]

kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Anyone got a 20v turbo? Wed, 05 October 2005 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on the hondas you disconnect it bill,to much over lap so it blows the boost out the exhaust. i think on the 20v if you cut it at boost it might help spool up but only have it on down low.ive done a couple of 20v turbos,but didnt have the time to play with it and the customers didnt wantto spend the extra money seeing.i find out if anyone has played with it.
mick
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Anyone got a 20v turbo? Wed, 05 October 2005 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingmick wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 16:32

on the hondas you disconnect it bill,to much over lap so it blows the boost out the exhaust. i think on the 20v if you cut it at boost it might help spool up but only have it on down low.ive done a couple of 20v turbos,but didnt have the time to play with it and the customers didnt wantto spend the extra money seeing.i find out if anyone has played with it.
mick

That's heading towards what I want to know, but Ireally need to find out someone that's tried it.
Thanks anyway.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Anyone got a 20v turbo? Wed, 05 October 2005 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bill im rang 5 of my mates workshops and and the 3 that have done them have done the same as me.

ok just spoke to the chris dowd{you would have come across him bill in the 1300 sport racing.}and we are of the same opinion that with the extra torque there is extra energy so will spool it up quicker,that said it will add extra torque to over come the lag! ill find one of the boys that has done it give me a day or two.
mick
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Anyone got a 20v turbo? Wed, 05 October 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry!ment to add are you coming down for the 6 hour relay at eastern creek bill? if so ill show you a couple of the new 7ag 16v and 20v.they have a nice horsepower advantage at the moment.
mick
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Anyone got a 20v turbo? Wed, 05 October 2005 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingmick wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 17:09

sorry!ment to add are you coming down for the 6 hour relay at eastern creek bill? if so ill show you a couple of the new 7ag 16v and 20v.they have a nice horsepower advantage at the moment.
mick

Nah, no plans to but out of curiosity when is it anyway? The Fraser is quick but not sorted enough to really race seriously yet.

Ta for getting the info for me as well.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Anyone got a 20v turbo? Wed, 05 October 2005 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its in just under 2 weeks! and no prob with the info,ill ring a few more of the boys in the morning.there will be one of them that has tried it ,im sure.
mick
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Anyone got a 20v turbo? Wed, 05 October 2005 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
improvedae86 wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 14:27

justcallmefrank wrote on Wed, 05 October 2005 01:56

Ahh " I'm thinking that the turbo will wake up a lot earlier with the VVT on "

If you where using a aftermarket ecu you would be setting the point which this occurs wouldn't you think Rolling Eyes ? therefore you could alter the cam timing to produce a effect at any rpm

This is true, but if it's a hindrance to the turbo setup that is a moot point. And knowing Bill I can't see him trying to run a forced induction engine on a 20v ECU.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Anyone got a 20v turbo? Thu, 06 October 2005 07:44 Go to previous message
well after around 15 phone calls{dont worry its been a few weeks since ive checked how everyones going} no one has left it connected bill.ill keep asking.
bump
mick
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:squeeky clutch master
Next Topic:20v injectors- 2 or 3 nozzles?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 14:50:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055439472198486 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.