Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » more help with car audio/electricle question?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
more help with car audio/electricle question? Thu, 06 October 2005 05:41 Go to next message
i have a question....this is a pretty "vauge" but roughly how many amps can you run off 1 battery. i have a 1000W boss amp and a 400Wno name brand, and i'm worried if i hook em up i'm gonna stuff my alternator or its just gonna drain the battery?

anyone know of any solutions? obvisouly i could get a bigger battery (appently) not sure if that works entirely. or do i have to up grade my alternator.

[Updated on: Sat, 08 October 2005 08:00]

Send a private message to this user    
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: car audio/electricle question Thu, 06 October 2005 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends what car, what alternator.
just remember your amps won't be pulling 1400W unless you're at full noise all the time Smile
generaelly for a serious audio setup that's loud most of the time, an alternator reco at the least is recommended, possibly upgrade.
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: car audio/electricle question Thu, 06 October 2005 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont worry about your boss amp, as that only pulls out 4x60rms. It does depend on the battery and alternator, but you can usually run 2 or so off the 1 battery Very Happy
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: car audio/electricle question Thu, 06 October 2005 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wouldnt worry about it

wait until a prob appears, then go out and get another batt/better alternator. i would say unless you upgrade your alternator the problem will continue.

also if the engine is not running then check how many amp-hours your batt has, ex: if it has 250Amp hours, then it will run for 250 hours consuming 1 amp.
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: car audio/electricle question Thu, 06 October 2005 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how do you check how many amp hours your battery has

i was just concearned because i wanna upgrade to 2 pioneer 12's and run em off the boss amp and run the 6x9's off the little thing....there going in my ST162, so i'm assuming its not the most powerful alternator.

what would putting a larger battery in do, i'm i'm sure it'll hold more charger (last longer) but is it pretty much usless with out the better alternator to keep the charge up?

....i'll just make sure i have a set of jumper leads on me at all times Very Happy
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: car audio/electricle question Thu, 06 October 2005 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
amp hours: it should say on a sticker on your battery, lol

those subs dont consume much power, so i wouldnt worry about changing anything.

i have a 4x120w RMS amp and i have no problem with the alternator in my ae82.

one of my mates has a 1000w mono block that runs 2 12" kicker comps and a 4x100w RMS amp for the rest in a v6 magna, and his alternator went.
no big deal unless you leave it for a month.
pomey
Regular

May 2005
Re: car audio/electricle question Fri, 07 October 2005 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello,

Just a few questions, what deck are u running and do the 6x9's distort when they're running only off the deck? If so, then forget the second amp, just run them from ur deck as it already has sufficient power. No point in drawing more power than required!

Obviously if they're not distorting then by all means install the second amp and crank them LOUD! (so long as it has more power then the deck)

I used to have 6x9's running off the deck, 2x12" subs running off one amp and then some splits off a second amp. Worked very well until i started getting headaches.

Cheers, Pomey!
pomey
Regular

May 2005
Re: car audio/electricle question Fri, 07 October 2005 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yeah, almost forgot.

For the above statement to be accurate, the deck has to be of decent quality. Some amps (in the deck) actually start to distort before the speakers. MOSFET is always a good sign!!

Cheers, Pomey!
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
help with more car audio/electricle question Sat, 08 October 2005 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah it all turned out good. just running the 2 12's of a bridged channel of the amp and the 6x9's of the 2 remaining channels

just some more question's

to make a ported box...can i just put a port on the box i already have or do you have to make the box persiffically for a port. (differnt dimension's, and volume?)

and also. when i crank the system up. once it gets past a certin high volume it'll run for about 10 seconds and then the amp will cut out. is this because the amp is drawing to much power and stopping from short curcuiting...or could the amp be getting to hot...or maybe a bad earth??
any ideas??
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
help with more car audio/electricle question Sat, 08 October 2005 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
havabeer wrote on Thu, 06 October 2005 15:41

i have a question....this is a pretty "vauge" but roughly how many amps can you run off 1 battery. i have a 1000W boss amp and a 400Wno name brand, and i'm worried if i hook em up i'm gonna stuff my alternator or its just gonna drain the battery?

anyone know of any solutions? obvisouly i could get a bigger battery (appently) not sure if that works entirely. or do i have to up grade my alternator.

havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: more help with car audio/electricle question? Sat, 08 October 2005 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clicked wrong button on that one above
CLEEKA
Regular

April 2005
Re: more help with car audio/electricle question? Sat, 08 October 2005 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think ported box need more volume, is there specs on the manufacturer web site for the subs?

CLEEKA
Regular

April 2005
Re: more help with car audio/electricle question? Sat, 08 October 2005 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah amp mgith be gettnig too hot and cutting out, the peopel at the shop say always get a bigger amp than required
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: more help with car audio/electricle question? Sun, 09 October 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ported boxes = right size box and right length & diameter port. Then there will be different sizes of both depending on how you want to tune it. This will depend on what music you listen to, what sort of roll off you like and the resonant freq of the car.

As for the amp prob, I've run a soundstream class d at 4000w/1 ohm for about an hour of a pair of 550CCA batteries. They died and it got a little warm.

Boss amp = you could probably hold the speaker connections in each hand without worrying about getting shocked.
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: more help with car audio/electricle question? Sun, 09 October 2005 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
provided your alt and batt are in good working order, it should be more then enough for those amps. i would look at firstly upgrading all your ground cable (batt to body, block to body etc...) and upgrade power cable from alt to batt. then if you want to play music with engine off, get better batt

to get ported box tuned right you need to refer to manufacturers manual, enclosure programs or experience installers. wrong tuning on ported box can damage your subwoofers. you cannot just stick any port into any box

your amp is cutting off when cranked most likely overheating, does it turn back on when cools down?
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: more help with car audio/electricle question? Mon, 10 October 2005 04:04 Go to previous message
man, id be more worried about ur boss amp catching fire and destroying ur car then it running ur battery dead.
and i say this cause it happened to my mate in his camry. burnt his boot carpet and sum of his percel shelf.

i highly doubt that ull have a problem wif these two amps running at the same time.

i got 2 amps runnnig. 4channel for my fronts n rear and 2channel for my sub. they are probably making a combined power out of 1000w max and like 700rms. ones a schneider, who under rate their amps massively and ones a kenwood which is built like a brick shithouse(which is a good thing:P) and its not from their current range of turd burgers but from their classic ages when they made real quality goods.

illuminatus said

i wouldnt worry about it

wait until a prob appears, then go out and get another batt/better alternator. i would say unless you upgrade your alternator the problem will continue.

i agree. jus wait til sumfin goes wrong til u try to fix it.
ull know wen ur batt is getting low wen ur subs start to miss beats.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Z2 86 Soarer Compliance plate anoyance
Next Topic:help plz
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 17:48:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067358016967773 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.