Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
2tg/3tg question Wed, 19 October 2005 23:03 Go to next message
do i need to run both breathers for turbo/supercharging??

by both i mean the black box on the block and the hole on the tappet cover.

i want to use my 2tg block but it doesnt have the breather on the block.

wat does everyone sugest i do
  Send a private message to this user    
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2tg/3tg question Wed, 19 October 2005 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am using a 3T block that has no breather. So I only have the single breather on the cam cover, with no problems. But its not turbo. I don't think it matters, you won't be using a PCV valve.
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 2tg/3tg question Thu, 20 October 2005 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im confused now. " you won't be using a PCV valve "

wat do u mean, y wont i be using one??

thanx
yrhkira
Regular

June 2005
Re: 2tg/3tg question Thu, 20 October 2005 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lilcrash,

The issue is to have some way of stopping a pressure/fume build- up in the block so;

Your choice really is, do you want to run a full PCV system or not? N/A or Forced induction it does not matter, setup is the same basic requirements. If there is only one breather you choice is made for you.

If you choose to use the 2T-G my suggestion then is:

Do not worry about the 2T-G block not having the breather/PVC outlet as I have indicated in the past.

If all you have is the one breather in the cam cover, just make sure you run a hose from there to a catch can. I beleive at least 1 ltr in capacity for any competition requirement. Make sure there is a filtered cap or outlet on the catch can as air will be moving in and out of the motor through this system.

There are filtered catch cans available from several aftermarket/performance places.

If you use a block with the breather canister arrangement and you do not want to plumb the full PCV system in, a blanking plate can be made to cover the hole in the block and do as discribed above.

Regards

Rodger
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 2tg/3tg question Thu, 20 October 2005 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lilcrash wrote on Thu, 20 October 2005 09:03

do i need to run both breathers for turbo/supercharging??

by both i mean the black box on the block and the hole on the tappet cover.

i want to use my 2tg block but it doesnt have the breather on the block.

wat does everyone sugest i do

it might be better to hook them both up to a catch can, possibly with the block one so that oil can return to the sump from the catch can (so it's not catching as such), and vent the air to the air intake for the motor so you don't get nasty fumes and things...
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 2tg/3tg question Thu, 20 October 2005 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok thats all kewl. but out of curiostity y do i need an oil catch can??

laterdays and thanx
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2tg/3tg question Thu, 20 October 2005 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When I had the old 2T block with the breather can on the block, I ran it with a catch can once. My therory was the line to the block would act as a oil return from the catch can. I can't remember how every hose went, but the first time at the race track it was a disaster. The can filled with oil and made a mess of the whole engine bay. I gave the catch can away and have never used one since.

Now I just run a single hose from the cam cover, down to the ground. For racing I would need a catch can I know, but for now I have no problems, and no oil smell either.
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 2tg/3tg question Thu, 20 October 2005 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can i just use one of those lil filter lookin things on my tappet cover??
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2tg/3tg question Fri, 21 October 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can do that, but remember the engine will never be sucking air, it will always be blowing out oil/air. The filter will get soaked with oil eventualy (depending on the health of the engine) and will start to make a little oil mess on the cam cover. This is why I have a tube from the cam cover down to ground, and this is why a catch can is a good idea.
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 2tg/3tg question Fri, 21 October 2005 04:49 Go to previous message
ok kewl thanx.

laterdays
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Intercooling 1g-gze
Next Topic:4AGTE Radiator Size
Goto Forum: