Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » who has this setup? (GZE+big port cams)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
DacBietAE86
Regular

March 2003
who has this setup? (GZE+big port cams) Tue, 25 October 2005 03:24 Go to next message
Just wondering if anyone has this setup at the moment?

ive been searching and there isnt that much info on this..

some people have done this but i just wanted to hear first hand what differences and is it really worth while?
  Send a private message to this user    
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: who has this setup? (GZE+big port cams) Tue, 25 October 2005 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u mean gze bigport with n/a bigport cams or smallport gze with bigport n/a or gze cams???
DacBietAE86
Regular

March 2003
Re: who has this setup? (GZE+big port cams) Tue, 25 October 2005 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry mate i should of specified.

ae101 smallport GZE with bigport 4age cams
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: who has this setup? (GZE+big port cams) Tue, 25 October 2005 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Afraid I have no direct experience with this swap, but an experienced 4A engine builder I spoke to thought that the improvement wouldn't warrant the effort.

Also bear in mind that cams are identical between GE and GZE.
In other words:
bigport ZE cams = bigport GE cams
smallport ZE cams = smallport GE cams
DacBietAE86
Regular

March 2003
Re: who has this setup? (GZE+big port cams) Tue, 25 October 2005 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
apparently the
smallport gze has 232 degree cams with 7.1 mm lift cams while the bigport 4AGE has 240 degrees cams with 7.56mm lift.

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: who has this setup? (GZE+big port cams) Tue, 25 October 2005 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not really worth setting up shims for really...

if you want cams, why not go 256, or 264 etc?

rather than... yayy, may car is fractionally better than stock Wink

anyone got 50thou measurements of the stock cams?
DacBietAE86
Regular

March 2003
Re: who has this setup? (GZE+big port cams) Tue, 25 October 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah well i guess u have a point but i have a whole bigport head with the cams in it .I'll just take the shims and cams over...

Or will i have to measure the valve clearances again

[Updated on: Tue, 25 October 2005 07:10]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: who has this setup? (GZE+big port cams) Tue, 25 October 2005 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh, well if you have them and it's a choice for the heck of it.. why not Wink

yes, you will need to checkc each shim individually.. depends on cam and head and valve height etc...
so just as much pain to do it for any cam..
DacBietAE86
Regular

March 2003
Re: who has this setup? (GZE+big port cams) Tue, 25 October 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If anyone else has an opinion on this please let me know..

besides that thanks everyone...

I'm going to do it next weekend so i'll let everyone know exactly how it is...

20VBTSECA
Regular

May 2005
Re: who has this setup? (GZE+big port cams) Tue, 25 October 2005 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
speak to rhys about this. he did this setup on the AE93 Rolla with NEVO pulleys.

hsvmaloo_r8@hotmail.com
DacBietAE86
Regular

March 2003
Re: who has this setup? (GZE+big port cams) Tue, 25 October 2005 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for that..I'll e-mail him..

DacBietAE86
Regular

March 2003
Re: who has this setup? (GZE+big port cams) Tue, 25 October 2005 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guys i just did some more searching and apparently the big port cams timing are set differently.

does anyone know what they mean by timed differently
shevchenko888
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: who has this setup? (GZE+big port cams) Tue, 25 October 2005 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Tue, 25 October 2005 17:16

ahh, well if you have them and it's a choice for the heck of it.. why not Wink

yes, you will need to checkc each shim individually.. depends on cam and head and valve height etc...
so just as much pain to do it for any cam..

if u can get hold of the big port cams CHEAP and u can do the work why not?alot of kiwi boys with map gzes has the bluetop cams with their 4agte has it.
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: who has this setup? (GZE+big port cams) Tue, 25 October 2005 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey dude, im in the same position as you. Ive got robowashed 88kw small port cams read to go into my ae101ze but im just not exactly sure how to measure clearances, and what to do if they need changing.

I know 2 guys who have done it and swear it made better midrange power and made the engine noticably more rev happy.

One who recently did this had the 88kw head right there, so he simply switched out all the ze shims with the 88kw shims and said it worked great. Unfortunately i don't have that luxury so just waiting for info on clearances.

keep us posted Smile
-daniel-
c2888
Regular

May 2002

Re: who has this setup? (GZE+big port cams) Tue, 25 October 2005 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You have nothing to lose, and not much to gain. If you have the time, and the know how, I'd say it's a learning experience. But like oldcorollaguy says, you need to the clearances. Most 4A's i've heard are probably overdue for some checking in the clearance department.

Another thing, the cams aren't ruled by port sizings. Just because you have a bigport head, doesn't mean you have the longer duration cams. I'd call them early and late, 1987 august appears to be the cutoff date. This is according to the EPC I downloaded off the internet.

I say give it a go, then tell everyone what you did or didn't gain.

dan of dodgy
DacBietAE86
Regular

March 2003
Re: who has this setup? (GZE+big port cams) Tue, 25 October 2005 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will do...

Once its done i'll let u all know how it goes!
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: who has this setup? (GZE+big port cams) Wed, 26 October 2005 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if its atmo engine use the smallport head,you can use the bigport cams but you will not notice the diffrence.you will be far happier if you have a limited budget with the smallport head.
mick
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: who has this setup? (GZE+big port cams) Sun, 30 October 2005 12:03 Go to previous message
DacBietAE86 wrote on Tue, 25 October 2005 16:39

apparently the
smallport gze has 232 degree cams with 7.1 mm lift cams while the bigport 4AGE has 240 degrees cams with 7.56mm lift.

depends on what 4age bigport it is. only the early bigport 4age with 'blue and black' writing on the inlet cam cover have the higher lift cams. the later bigport 4age has the same cams as a 4agze.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE86 Struts OUT. Trying to change shocks/springs
Next Topic:4age: 2" vs 2 1/4" exhaust
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 07:40:17 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046219825744629 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.