Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
zork
Regular

September 2005
MR2 Suspension Thu, 27 October 2005 21:28 Go to next message
A mate of mine has the early shape MR2 (1987 i think) and wants to upgrade his suspension. He wants to use the car for road and track use (circuit sprint etc). Does anyone know any spec's, brands, types of suspension that is available for MR2.
  Send a private message to this user    
Hodgo
Regular

August 2004
Re: MR2 Suspension Thu, 27 October 2005 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have a look at the AW11 thread, this is discussed a fair bit
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: MR2 Suspension Fri, 28 October 2005 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You are pretty much limited to lowered springs and a small selection of shocks there are no coil over kits that are under $4000 that you can buyt off the shelf. However you can get people like noltech to make custom coilovers for less than $2000.

Twosrus.com supply a complete urethane bush set for the aw11 at quite a reasonable cost.

Whiteline make adjustable swaybars for the aw11.

How much of a budget does your friend have and how extreme does he want to go?

Firstly the best thing you can do for your car is get a half decent wheel alignment (this does not mean taking your car to bob jane) by someone who has setup race cars b4. With the aw11 they have quite an ammount of adjustability from the factory.

Toe Camber and Caster can all be adjusted

If you have an s/c you may want to use more rear camnber.

Most setups ive read about use maximum caster. I would aim for about 2 degs -tive camber in the front and 1.5 deg -tive in the rear.
Im not sure about the toe settings but the alaingment guy should be able to help. Also the guys in the aw11 annonomus thread have done some setup testing in their aw11's so they should be able to help. This should cost about $100

If it were me and the shocks in the car were half decent then I would start with urethane bushes and adjustable sway bars. Which including labour would come in under $1000.

After that I would look at getting some custom coil overs made I would budget $2000-$2500 for them.

Lastly i would look at getting some adjustable strut tops for camber and possibly (depending on which brand you go for) caster. This would only serve the purpose of making adjustments on the fly at the racetrack

sikmr2
Regular

January 2003
Re: MR2 Suspension Fri, 28 October 2005 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An easier option for the urethane bushings is Superpro which is in Australia, no offence to TwosRus, but i think its much easier and cheaper if you can get this stuff in Australia, they do a complete set of bushings for the AW11 apart from the steering rack bushings which i believe is better off left in rubber from Toyota. Koni also make adjustable strut inserts for the AW11
truenosedan1
Regular

July 2005
Re: MR2 Suspension Fri, 28 October 2005 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a full set of super pro bushes in stock and have swaybars on order. we have filled an order in the past for some custom springs. i can dig up the specs if you like. i think it was 3.9kg/mm front and 8.5kg/mm rear... let me know...these are an awesome handling car! Very Happy
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: MR2 Suspension Fri, 28 October 2005 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sikmr2 wrote on Fri, 28 October 2005 20:13

An easier option for the urethane bushings is Superpro which is in Australia, no offence to TwosRus, but i think its much easier and cheaper if you can get this stuff in Australia, they do a complete set of bushings for the AW11 apart from the steering rack bushings which i believe is better off left in rubber from Toyota. Koni also make adjustable strut inserts for the AW11

the twosrus is a complete kit including the steering rack bush from my experince no company in aus makes them.

Its not like the twosrus bushes are $$$ it would probably work out being $180 for the whole lot landed at your door.

However it might give people peice of mind that they are buying somthing in australia so it makes returns easier.

Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: MR2 Suspension Sat, 29 October 2005 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRD do some awesome springs and shocks for these.
naughty nurse
Regular

October 2005
Re: MR2 Suspension Sat, 29 October 2005 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my brother has an mr 2 AW11 and he is looking at toda racing suspension for his ride. these seem to be really good in specification Cool
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: MR2 Suspension Sat, 29 October 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah the toda ones rock but not much change from $5000
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MR2 Suspension Sun, 30 October 2005 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex thought hard aboot what he was going to do with his AW11 suspension wise.

He looked at coilovers etc, but ended up with the following hugely advanced setup.

- Tokico Illumina 5-way adjustable dampers
- Performance oriented wheel alignment
- Good soft performance road tyres 195/50-15 on +35 offset wheels

Stock everything else.

Yes, i know many will shun him for he has not coilovers/rose joints but the truth is with good alignment and dampers it is an absolute dream to drive fast. Its poised, progressive and nimble while still having great road manners and grip.

He thought that having such great natural dynamics it was his job to learn to how drive it properly rather than to twist the car to his particular style.

Rex

[Updated on: Sun, 30 October 2005 07:57]

Hodgo
Regular

August 2004
Re: MR2 Suspension Sun, 30 October 2005 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex then started to refer to himself in the third person and quickly learned that it was not his driving that needed work. Mike his psychiatrist persona pleeded with Rex to get help asap.
sagluren
Regular

May 2005

Re: MR2 Suspension Sun, 30 October 2005 11:09 Go to previous message
I would before anything get is alligned, once this is done on an old fashioned pit style machine buy a profesional then you can start to see where the problems lie if any and go from there.

I know a good alligner in adelaide for any intrested.

Sam.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:My Mk II Corona problems
Next Topic:HELP QUICK!! How long til thermostat opens on 18RGU
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 06:55:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055561065673828 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.