Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
21rc igniter wiring Sat, 29 October 2005 05:21 Go to next message
HI guys,
I've tried a search on this subject but came up with no answers. I'm converting an 18r dizzy to electronic ignition using a 21rc guts and igniter. Nothing too hard there. On the igniter theres two green plugs, TAN which is 12+ and yellow which I'm unsure about. I've ran through all my celica diagrams and cant find it. It might be earth or tacho output, anybody got a few spare minutes and a multimeter. Thanks guys.
  Send a private message to this user    
TE35
Regular

May 2003
Re: 21rc igniter wiring Sun, 30 October 2005 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll look into it - I put electronic ignition from a 21RC into a 3TC, piece of cake, just cant remember which wires go where. Send me a PM reminder, or call into a wreckers etc and have a look. Did you get it with the coil as well? If the yellow wired plug comes off the negative terminal, its for the tacho.
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: 21rc igniter wiring Sun, 30 October 2005 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The yellow wire comes out of the igniter itself. I havent seen one in the wreckers yet, the ones around here dont let you walk around and take a look because of OH and S.

[Updated on: Sun, 30 October 2005 02:54]

stepho
Newcomer

March 2004
Re: 21rc igniter wiring Mon, 31 October 2005 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Perhaps this might help.
I have condensed various electronic ignition diagrams into an easier to understand form.
http://f4.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/0KRlQ2hxa9JT_tGlITEiY HzrBFZUG5jg-qunFPuetST4jTzFBDK0DAdtmxc8qgDqN6yteip OSyvlPmBndJY/wiring%20diagrams/ei.pdf

And for reference, here's the old points style.
http://f3.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/0KRlQ5DNcGpT_tGlSrC0a AZ7sLggltNOmhXPEoMpXOWjPbb__oG112OYGbXzufpaYFa7xgW muy_X5qsCcwA/wiring%20diagrams/points.pdf

Load both into Acrobat Reader and toggle between them to see the changes required (Ctrl+Tab works nicely for toggling on PC's).

The tach is taken from the (-) terminal of the coil.
Unsued wires are usually just duplicates of other wires (ie multiple connects to ground, +12V, tach/(-) , etc). Choose one and ignore the others (no drama if you connect both but no gain either).
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: 21rc igniter wiring Mon, 31 October 2005 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks mate, I tried to open these links but they were dead, but i would like to thank you for the effort. I pulled a young guy in the servo today that had a RA60 and looked under his bonnet. The yellow wire from the ignitor goes into a black wire when it hits the green plug which tells me its gonna be a tacho signal. Thanks again.

[Updated on: Mon, 31 October 2005 09:52]

GTS_215KW
Occasional Poster

June 2003

Re: 21rc igniter wiring Tue, 01 November 2005 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im not sure if this will help you or not, but when i replaced an igniter from an 18RG with a bosch one, the yellow wire was the tacho wire..it basically comes from the coil- through a series resistance...unfortunately I cant tell you the resistance because i removed it from the board to fit back into the car...

hope that helps
Rudi
TE35
Regular

May 2003
Re: 21rc igniter wiring Thu, 03 November 2005 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont forget to get a coil that does not need an external resistor, and spark plugs to suit - otherwise the car will run like crap, and have detonation probs etc...
Its well worth the effort - never have to do points again!
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: 21rc igniter wiring Thu, 03 November 2005 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so I have to change to 21rc spark plugs as well? I'll have to have a look in the celica manual. I got the whole coil and dizzy assembly, I'm waiting for a lend of a timing gun to try it out.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 21rc igniter wiring Fri, 04 November 2005 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
search ya lazy bum Laughing

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&g oto=124629&rid=883&S=6530ec292e9ef71405af8 0d7c8808148
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: 21rc igniter wiring Fri, 04 November 2005 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I actually searched and didnt find anything on the subject, aahh well. This is the first that I've heard about a condenser on the 21rc igniter. I dont think that i've see one before, then again i'd never seen a car with a live axle until last year. So, you put a capacitor on the + input of the coil?
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: 21rc igniter wiring Sun, 06 November 2005 14:00 Go to previous message
All fitted and working brilliantly. It's a good improvement on a set of points. Recommended.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:New man here! and new question - 1JZ-GE & 2JZ-GE !?
Next Topic:Can SOMEONE URGENTLY tell me if this is the 105kph SPEED CHIME for my SOARER *pic*
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 12:31:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049309730529785 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.