Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
pete05
Regular

April 2005
7mgte ecu on a 5mge Tue, 08 November 2005 20:50 Go to next message
has anybody ever attempted to convert the 7mgte ecu over to the 5mge motor, anybody know whats involved?
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 7mgte ecu on a 5mge Tue, 08 November 2005 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I doubt anyone has really tried, but it poses the question...why? What do you hope to achieve by running it on the 7MGTE ECU?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 7mgte ecu on a 5mge Tue, 08 November 2005 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what he ^^^^^ said Nod

youll also need the coil packs from the 7m, the CAS (or modify the 5m dizzy) probably need to tweak the injectors or fuel pressure to tune it properly

and for what advantage? the 5mge isnt going to really boogie that much for the extra effort
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 7mgte ecu on a 5mge Tue, 08 November 2005 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, it'll still use a bit of oil. You'd probably achieve no more extra power than if you cleaned the air filter. The adapter you'd have to jimmy up to get the ignition working as Ed said makes my mind boggle.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 7mgte ecu on a 5mge Tue, 08 November 2005 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
realistically there is no reason why I would go ahead with this conversion unless you simply couldnt get a 5mge ecu - but then why not just use a 5me ecu which are a dime a dozen and easier to get it to run...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 7mgte ecu on a 5mge Tue, 08 November 2005 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just because it was off a later engine doesn't mean it would be doing you any favours, in fact, the simplicity of the earlier ECU means you can probably tamper with it more. What you'd also need is the 7MGTE AFM, although I am sure that you'd be able to get that with the loom. If I was you, I wouldn't bother. There, you have been told. Wink
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 7mgte ecu on a 5mge Tue, 08 November 2005 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Renee doesn't think it's a great idea either.
http://www.pantherfanz.net/PHOTOS/2005/Week1_Saints/2005_Saints22.JPG

Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 7mgte ecu on a 5mge Tue, 08 November 2005 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Renee would prefer to spend her time muff diving than getting the 7MGTE ECU to run the 5MGE. The other issue is that if you get the 7MGTE ECU to work you will increase the chance of blowing the head gasket of the 5MGE.
pete05
Regular

April 2005
Re: 7mgte ecu on a 5mge Wed, 09 November 2005 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it was just an idea i had for an easy setup as i have now got hold of a complete hks turbo setup to suit the 5mge and thought it may have worked ok, but sound like to much rooting around with the coils and stuff.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 7mgte ecu on a 5mge Wed, 09 November 2005 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you had stated that you planned to turbo the 5MGE in the original post, you'd probably have gotten a better response.

You'll need complete 7MGTE loom, ecu, ignitor, afm, CAS (or mod 5MGE one), coilpacks, leads, injectors, maybe ISCV, and the knock sensors.

5MGE has one knock sensor in the middle, 7MGTE has one at either end, so you'll have to do something about that.

All that, and you'd be better off dropping a 7MGTE in.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 7mgte ecu on a 5mge Thu, 10 November 2005 02:01 Go to previous message
There's a lot of discussion about 5M-GE turbo setups over on CelicaSupra.com, so you might want to head over there and read through the archives. For a basic turbo setup the results are mediocre at best. For a proper turbo setup it will cost much more than a 7M conversion. Simply not worth the effort IMO.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Q's on 5 stud conversion
Next Topic:how many valves/cylinder on a 20v?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 04:36:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048110485076904 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.