Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Urgent help 4age Ae92 100kw tuning

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Urgent help 4age Ae92 100kw tuning Fri, 18 November 2005 00:33 Go to next message
I need to know wether these..
Toda 11.0:1 forged piston set 81mm bore and 20mm pin for 16V would suit my AE92 100kw 4age.
I am also going to be running...

TODA Heavy Duty Valve Springs 4AGE
TODA High Power Profile Camshaft 4AGE 4V (288) 8.9mm lift
TRD 0.8mm Head Gasket
TRD Spark Plug Cord Set AE86

What sort of Rods do i need?

Does my gudgeon pin suit this apllication?
Help for n00b in leymans terms

Thank you

Evan
  Send a private message to this user    
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Urgent help 4age Ae92 100kw tuning Fri, 18 November 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evan wrote on Fri, 18 November 2005 11:33

I need to know wether these..
Toda 11.0:1 forged piston set 81mm bore and 20mm pin for 16V would suit my AE92 100kw 4age.
I am also going to be running...

TODA Heavy Duty Valve Springs 4AGE
TRD 0.8mm Head Gasket
TRD Spark Plug Cord Set AE86

What sort of Rods do i need?

Does my gudgeon pin suit this apllication?
Help for n00b in leymans terms

Thank you

Evan

the pin diameter for ae92 is 20mm.
the ae92 has the 20mm bigger pin size, the 18mm was from the ae86/ae82 4age .

the 81mm is std bore size.

those toda parts listed will be fine
but you may want to get the shim under kit with it, that lift might be dangerous with shim over design.

rods? use oem if you must but tomei make some nice items.
there may be a nicer non-jap equivalent but your best to ask someone who builds using them. try yager or bob holden if you can get a hold of him (hes still from around your area i think)
LeesWF
Newcomer

February 2005
Re: Urgent help 4age Ae92 100kw tuning Fri, 18 November 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evan,
The 100Kw 4AG has 20mm gudgeons so the Toda pistons will be ok. I am running 11.3:1 CR with 304 degree 9mm lift cams with standard rods, no problems so unless you have plans to rev past 9K I would say just get the standard rods balanced, no need to buy after market.

My only other comment would be about the 0.8mm head gasket. With the 11:1 pistons and this gasket you would be getting close to 12:1 which is getting very high for not much (maybe 4hp) gain. I would use a standard head gasket !
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Urgent help 4age Ae92 100kw tuning Fri, 18 November 2005 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you could just use std rods but balance and shot-peen them for durability

if i was building an all out engine id buy some ncie light aftermarket ones, peace of mind i think Smile
LeesWF
Newcomer

February 2005
Re: Urgent help 4age Ae92 100kw tuning Fri, 18 November 2005 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evan,
Just read AE86Drift comment about shim under buckets, I disagree. As I said before I'm running 9mm 304 cams and using standard shim on top buckets. This engine is used for sprint racering and is constantly revd to 8.2K and I have never had a single problem. Also I know several other people using same or similar cams with shim on top and none have experienced any shim spits.

Your call but from my experience the only thing you will achieve is to make the supplier of Shim Under Buckets richer !

[Updated on: Fri, 18 November 2005 01:03]

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Urgent help 4age Ae92 100kw tuning Fri, 18 November 2005 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LeesWF wrote on Fri, 18 November 2005 12:01

Evan,
Just read AE86Drift comment about shim under buckets, I disagree. As I said before I'm running 9mm 304 cams and using standard shim on top buckets. This engine is used for sprint racering and is constantly revd to 8.2K and I have never had a single problem. Also I know several other people using same or similar cams with shim on top and none have experienced any shim spits.

Your call but from my experience the only thing you will achieve is to make the supplier of Shim Under Buckets richer !

ah fair enough then. if you keep it 9mm lift i spose ull be OK then eh?

i stand corrected evan. Smile

does anyone know the maximum before having issues with the bucket design?
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Urgent help 4age Ae92 100kw tuning Fri, 18 November 2005 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
taken from billzilla.org

Quote:

Cams up around the 310° mark, with 0.360"/9.1mm lift are needed. You'll also have to start thinking about getting some 'shim under' buckets, which have the valve clearance adjusting shims as a small 13mm pellet shim, rather than the 25mm dia shim that sits on top of the cam buckets. This is because with cams bigger than the low 300's and roughly 8mm lift, the 'shim over' buckets will occasionally catch the edge of the shim with the top of the lobe of the cam and spit it out the side, thus RAPIDLY destroying the bucket and most likely a fair chunk of head in the next few milliseconds. The shim under kits can be obtained from TRD at hideous expense, or from other racing shops for (merely!) large amounts of money.

maybe ull be safe evan with the cams you've chosen Smile
LeesWF
Newcomer

February 2005
Re: Urgent help 4age Ae92 100kw tuning Fri, 18 November 2005 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86Drift,
As much as I hate to disagree with Bills guide (no pun there)keep in mind it is just that, "A GUIDE" ! He has provided an excellent performance reference to these engines but at the end of the day it would be impossible for him or anyone else to write about every combination of cam,/springs and rev limits to use. Spitting a shim is as Bill states, the result of the lobe grabbing the edge of the shim, the bit he doesn't mention is that it often happens when the clearance between lobe and shim increases which is usually the result of valve float. So, in the case with 8.9mm lift and Toda springs I would suggest that provided the revs are kept below 10K you are never going to experience a shim spit.!

What is the lift limit for shim on top ? For the same reasons I mentioned before it is very difficult to give a limit, all I can tell you with absolute certainty is that 9mm (actually 9.1 to be precise) with standard springs and a rev limit of about 8500-90000rpm you won't ever have a problem !

[Updated on: Fri, 18 November 2005 01:40]

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Urgent help 4age Ae92 100kw tuning Fri, 18 November 2005 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fairy muff then! Smile

cheers bigears!
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Urgent help 4age Ae92 100kw tuning Fri, 18 November 2005 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1zzfe valve buckets??
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Urgent help 4age Ae92 100kw tuning Fri, 18 November 2005 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is there any 12.1 ratio pistins available?
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Urgent help 4age Ae92 100kw tuning Fri, 18 November 2005 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not from toda

but you dont want it that high, you're going to run into more expensive fuel the higher you go up in comp

what you have stated sounds great for a hot 16v man Smile dont over do it for a streetcar/club day racer
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Urgent help 4age Ae92 100kw tuning Fri, 18 November 2005 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm
also forgot to say i will be running 20v throttles and trumpets.
I wonder what sorta power i could get?
hopefully over 170hp
Also i am wondering what sorta computer to use.
1zzfe valve buckets should be able to be purchased through Toyota.
Can't wait to start... i have another 100kw lined up for $300
w00t
LeesWF
Newcomer

February 2005
Re: Urgent help 4age Ae92 100kw tuning Fri, 18 November 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evan,

12:1 CompRatio - as I said before, too high, the gain from 11:1 to 12:1 is about 4hp and it simply isn't worth doing !

1zzfe buckets - you still don't need them ! Run the standard shim on top bucket.

Power - I got 110rkw which if you allow 20% drive train loss works out to about 185hp at the crank. This was with 43.5mm 20V throttle bodies. With you cams I think about 175hp would be a ball park guess. The real trick is getting the right inlet manifold diameter and length. Mine is 275mm long and 40mm ID, which would be far off what you need.

ECU - I'm using a Motec M4 but if money is short get a Microtech LTS8, lots of guys I know are using them and they seem to work well.
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Urgent help 4age Ae92 100kw tuning Fri, 18 November 2005 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks champion.
SO i won't shave the head and i'l definatly run the 0.8mm headgasket.. and with these pistons..
should be ok?
cheers
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Urgent help 4age Ae92 100kw tuning Fri, 18 November 2005 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evan wrote on Fri, 18 November 2005 16:13

Thanks champion.
SO i won't shave the head and i'l definatly run the 0.8mm headgasket.. and with these pistons..
should be ok?
cheers

definately!
TRD-GTI
Regular

May 2005
Re: Urgent help 4age Ae92 100kw tuning Sat, 19 November 2005 11:35 Go to previous message
FYI the 1zz bucketless set-up cost approx $28+gst each from toyota, so multipy by 16 =$ too much, especially considering the
evidence put forward by LeesWF.

I have been looking at getting them to save some heart-ache, but I think I might do without, specially since Im not running cams that big!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:heater vaccuum vsv
Next Topic:Microtech software problem
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 14:02:48 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0076820850372314 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.