Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Excess Boost Noise out of Pod Filter - Vehicle Examination Failed

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
icon9.gif  Excess Boost Noise out of Pod Filter - Vehicle Examination Failed Mon, 12 December 2005 02:41 Go to next message
Took the vehicle for it's final inspection this morning, and the inspector would not pass it off as I get alot of noise out of the aircleaner when the throttle is released (engine is 1JZ).

Now I have a atmo venting blow off valve fitted but it is a cheapo one and doesn't work to well, I have always been able to hear the boost noise out of the pod filter. The inspector said any sort of "air" nosie coming out of the pod filter or blow off valve is illegal, and advised me to build some sort of foam muffler around the filter to stop the noise.

Anyway I was thinking if I bought a proper re-circulating type blow-off valve I would still get the same problem of the noise coming out of the Pod wouldn't I? The only solution I see is perhaps fitting a stock soarer/supra airbox or building the muffler as he suggested, which sounded like a stupid solution to me. Any ideas? Or could this also just be a case of the inspector not knowing what he is on about?

Any 1JZ owners out there with pod filters who get the same noise?

Cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Excess Boost Noise out of Pod Filter - Vehicle Examination Failed Mon, 12 December 2005 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm a former 1jz owner who never got much boost noise - probably because the airfilter was inside the stock airbox (supra) and I was running the original re-circulating bov. I'd try boxing the pod filter (or running a supra/soarer airbox if it'll fit) and get the original plumb back bov going.

Are atmo venting bovs legal in WA?

I can't see how a foam muffler will stop the noise??

I wonder if the filter material makes any difference (ie foam vs paper)?
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Excess Boost Noise out of Pod Filter - Vehicle Examination Failed Mon, 12 December 2005 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My Cressida has the standard BOV & a JZA70 airbox (a round one like on most 7Ms) with a uni-filter foam element in it & the air feed hole enlargened & shortened to fit the MX73, which has a lawn bowl sized hole cut into the radiator support behind the headlight that lines up with said airbox air feed hole.

So if you can picture all that you can imagine therte's a fairly direct passageway to the front of the car (and all that lovely cold air) and the BOV is quite audible out of this, as is the sound of the turbos under load, but not as loud as the BOV obviously.
With a standard Toyota JZA70 air filter however it is significantly quieter, but having to get one from Japan through Toyota every time a new filter was needed (quite often with the enlargened air feed) the re-useable unifilter has paid for itself after one cleaning.

Your inspector is a bit anal, I'd chuck in any old standard airbox & filter element to get it passed then stick the pod back on, but make up a box for it to keep it enclosed.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Excess Boost Noise out of Pod Filter - Vehicle Examination Failed Mon, 12 December 2005 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BigWorm wrote on Mon, 12 December 2005 14:41

With a standard Toyota JZA70 air filter however it is significantly quieter, but having to get one from Japan through Toyota every time a new filter was needed (quite often with the enlargened air feed) the re-useable unifilter has paid for itself after one cleaning.

The toyota dealer I used was always able to source the filters from Sydney (2 day delivery) - but at $52.50 ea I can imagine a foam filter would pay for itself quite quickly!

Still, if it does the job for the inspection....
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Excess Boost Noise out of Pod Filter - Vehicle Examination Failed Mon, 12 December 2005 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BigWorm wrote on Mon, 12 December 2005 12:11

the BOV is quite audible out of this, as is the sound of the turbos under load, but not as loud as the BOV obviously.

This is what I thought would happen if I recirculated the BOV. Looks like Id better just find some way to muffle the pod or put a stocker airbox on. Is this the reason you can buy those enclosed pod-filters?

lumpy

Are atmo venting bovs legal in WA?

Apparently not going by what the inspector said about not being allowed to hear any excess boost venting noises. Any WA people clear that up?

drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Excess Boost Noise out of Pod Filter - Vehicle Examination Failed Mon, 12 December 2005 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd tell the inspector to go fuck himself with the clip board if it's not louder than the exhaust.. if it's all plumbed back there is no reason for it to fail.. NA 4 bangers such as hondas have tremendous induction noise, they don't get booked.. stupid how the rules are written for some not others..

my suggestion put a proper filter on it, like a stock air box to get it past that inspector, or go to another inspector..
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Excess Boost Noise out of Pod Filter - Vehicle Examination Failed Mon, 12 December 2005 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds pretty stupid to me. Wouldn’t he be more worried about the emissions out of the BOV than the little bit of noise coming from the pod?

When I had stock BOV and unenclosed pod it was still a bit noisy but nothing silly.

I agree with Bigworm, whack a stock airbox on there, get it passed and then do what you want that is legal but not stupid like what he suggested.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Excess Boost Noise out of Pod Filter - Vehicle Examination Failed Mon, 12 December 2005 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well apparently all I have to do is make it quiter, it may be cheaper to do that then buy and airbox and filter unless anyone has one they would like to unload for a good price? Smile

drift86levin: It's not so much how the rules are written from one to another but how one inspector is different from the other. Worse when they are gov. employed as they don't give a fcuk, there is no other inspection service to go to down the road - no competition.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Excess Boost Noise out of Pod Filter - Vehicle Examination Failed Tue, 13 December 2005 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just stick a big rag in there for inspection. Make sure you tie it in there so it can't get sucked in further, and rip it out as soon as the inspection is done. Sure, it'll run terribly, but that's the way the inspectors like it Razz
digitalpho3nix
Regular

June 2004
Re: Excess Boost Noise out of Pod Filter - Vehicle Examination Failed Tue, 13 December 2005 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My mate had a 180sx with a particularly loud blow-off valve. Whenever the cops pulled him over for an inspection, they didn't acknowlegde the BOV as a 'defect' as it wasn't loud enough (ie. not anti-social). Instead he got defected for his stock pedals being too close together and not having enough tread on his rear wheels Cool.

So yeah, I guess BOV's are legal. I think Transport is not transparent enough on this.
tourerv
Regular

June 2004
Re: Excess Boost Noise out of Pod Filter - Vehicle Examination Failed Tue, 13 December 2005 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a big unifilter enclosed in an aluminium airbox feeding a GT30 and using the stock plumb back BOV. The induction noise is very loud. The poor stock BOV cant vent enough boost on back offs so it gets a lot of flutter noise even at low boost. At high boost I get the added swish of the BOV as well as the flutter. The only way to quieten it down I think is to restrict the hell out of it or muffle it with foam as suggested. I haven't bothered at this stage but I probably will get a higher flowing plumback BOV to try and reduce this noise.
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Excess Boost Noise out of Pod Filter - Vehicle Examination Failed Tue, 13 December 2005 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip ,what pit are you going to?

goto welshpool they will pass u !

They passed me with 1 nut missing from the rear right wheel , no speakers in the car or head unit

OD oFF light flashing

Minor oil leak

they are nice
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Excess Boost Noise out of Pod Filter - Vehicle Examination Failed Tue, 13 December 2005 04:42 Go to previous message
mrshin: Should have done that before the inspection. If I go back now with it looking the same but sound quiter im sure he'll ask how i fixed it.

coFF33: Can't mate. The car and defects are now in the system, im sure if I went to welshpool they would just be bought up again there.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:sc14 + GZE +ae86
Next Topic:Toyota V6 engines for conversions
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:43:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0040068626403809 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.