Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
mtsbirch
Regular

October 2002
Junkyard 18R turbo kit Fri, 07 February 2003 03:03 Go to next message
Has anyone tried junkyard engineering a turbo kit for an 18R? I know its not the best engine choice but I have several complete 8R and 18Rs lying around and I thought they would make a good test bench for learning how to design and build a turbo setup. Why ruin a good engine with some amateur mistake.
Anyway, I was hoping someone had tried it before and could give me some pointers.

For starters, I have a good block with the casting flash removed, stock internals, but the rods are polished and the rotating assembly has been balanced. I plan on porting the head with frequent measurements on a homemade flow bench, 3 angle valve job, and custom ground cam(not sure on the specifics of the cam grind, I need to do some more research). I have a Weber downdraft and I plan on using a blow-through setup with the turbo intake ducted, ram air style, to a hood scoop. I will have to fab an exhaust manifold and possibly an intake manifold if the stock cast aluminum one proves too restrictive.

I have read a fair bit of theoretical information on turbocharging, but I have no practical experience so I may blow up a few before I get it right.

Any ideas?
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Junkyard 18R turbo kit Fri, 07 February 2003 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've seen an 18R with an old-school HKS turbo kit (suck-through carby setup) and it seemed to go OK. He had to run some ludicrously low compression ratio, like 7:1 or something, to get decent boost into it. The 18R's non-crossflow cylinder head is actually kind of an advantage here because the turbo piping was only a few inches long... great for throttle response!
pedroenglish
Regular

May 2002
Re: Junkyard 18R turbo kit Fri, 07 February 2003 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check out this:
http://www.hipsi.com.au/display_article.php?number =1
Its a remarkable story about how a dude turboed a 120Y
on a shoestring budget.
Apart from the entertainment value, might give you some ideas...
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Junkyard 18R turbo kit Sat, 08 February 2003 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a look at a suck through carbie setup the other week for sale which came of an ra40 with an 18r it had decomp plate suck through setup decent size garret turbo and external wastegate it was 4 sale as well. If only i didnt have a 1g sitting on the floor what could be the possibilities.
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Junkyard 18R turbo kit Sat, 08 February 2003 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
excuse my stupidity but could someone explain a 'blow through carbie setup' to me. is it just the name when a turbo is stuck before it?

thanks

Daniel
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Junkyard 18R turbo kit Sat, 08 February 2003 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
munki wrote on Sat, 08 February 2003 18:49

excuse my stupidity but could someone explain a 'blow through carbie setup' to me. is it just the name when a turbo is stuck before it?

thanks

Daniel

Yeah its when the carby is after the turbo, ie the air coming out of the turbo has no fuel in it, a "suck through" setup is when the turbo is compressing / sucking the air fuel mixture out of the carby, ie turbo after the carby.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Wilbo
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Junkyard 18R turbo kit Sat, 08 February 2003 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how would you not lean out on boost? a reallly big secondary?
mtsbirch
Regular

October 2002
Re: Junkyard 18R turbo kit Mon, 10 February 2003 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apparently, you can modify the mechanical fuel pump by pressurizing the the spring side of the diaphram by running a hose from the manifold so the pump sends the right amount of fuel even under boost pressure. Then you jet the secondary for boost and leave the primary for lower speed driving.

Thats what I've read anyway, but I'll let you know when I get around to trying it.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Junkyard 18R turbo kit Mon, 10 February 2003 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It can be done, tho am sure newer engine/chassis would help...

18R in my RA40 is a custom turbo - via Mike Vine Turbo in Brisbane.

major engine mods were to reduce compression (head work got it down to 7.4:1). non-std pistons wold drop it down further. Plus lots of (pricey) customisation work at Mike Vine.

You'll have to build custom manifold, would advise against blow-thru carb, fuel pump needed at tank otherwise carbi leans out on boost, mods to ignition required, lots of plumbing hassles all round.

Site http://members.optushome.com.au/mkhala/red_celica/ for the car is mostly up-to-date

Own experience so far? EFI/ECU would have been way to go to prevent pinging, improved fuel consumption and more power. Would have liked turbo housing with integral w/gate too ;(

Plans? go Megasquirt http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html for the fuel, Tomtek http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/megajolt/ for the ignition and build new manifold (learn to MIG/TIG weld).

thechuckster
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Junkyard 18R turbo kit Tue, 11 February 2003 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, TheChuckster...
(we were talking via email for a while)

Just had a look at:
http://members.optushome.com.au/mkhala/red_celica/ return_from_engineer.html

Well done... thats seriously impressive.
Quite amazing how tidy the engine bay is.
What did you use for the trans assist ign in the dizzy?

Im well on the way to building my own ECU.
Schematics are all drawn up, currently placing components and routing tracks (225 components all up).
The hardware supports everything (4cyl seq inj, 4 ign coil, turbo wastegate and BOV control, water inj control, fly-by-wire throttle, etc), but ill program these features in as i need them.
Better to put all that stuff in now rather than having to remake the whole PCB later to add new things.

rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Junkyard 18R turbo kit Wed, 12 February 2003 00:30 Go to previous message
Hey Chuckster great paintjob, the detailing of the headlights is great, and how the hell did u get your rear bumper so shiny and immaculate?

well done..
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:V8 Corolla
Next Topic:A342E info ? JZA70 owners
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 14:20:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.022202014923096 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.