Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
icon8.gif  air filter adaptor pipe Wed, 07 July 2004 11:33 Go to next message
hey people.

i just bought an air filter for me 3tgte and didnt realise the size of the neck till i opened the box...

basically the hose coming off the turbo is 2.5inch and the neck of the air filter is 4.5inch Shocked Confused

does any one know where i can get a pipe to suit? get one made?

im in syd...
  Send a private message to this user    
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: air filter adaptor pipe Wed, 07 July 2004 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. Plumbing places sell PVC pipe flare sections to increase/decrease the diameter of stormwater pipe runs, etc. Not expensive.

2. An exhaust shop should be able to flare a short length of mild steel to your specifications. My exhaust shop did this to sync up my intercooler outlet/throttle body sizes.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: air filter adaptor pipe Wed, 07 July 2004 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sweet thanks will look into the exhaust place as for PVC would that be any good? wouldnt it need to be painted as is white?

but i see your point for the PVC, my mates a plumber so ill ask him
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: air filter adaptor pipe Wed, 07 July 2004 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whether you need to paint it depends on whether you're concerned about it being white..? It won't work any less when white.
levos1
Regular

March 2003
Re: air filter adaptor pipe Thu, 08 July 2004 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have u done it before?

how much heat can those pipes take before they melt etc??
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: air filter adaptor pipe Thu, 08 July 2004 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ppl use them as intercooler piping so i think as an air filter pipe it should be fine. wont get THAT hot.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: air filter adaptor pipe Fri, 09 July 2004 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i used to use pvc pressure pipe on my celica.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: air filter adaptor pipe Fri, 09 July 2004 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Id just take it back that is huge!!! My 1JZ is only 3", you should have done a few measurements before you bought the filter.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: air filter adaptor pipe Fri, 09 July 2004 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got the filter from here

www.flyn.com.au

click onto filters on the right

it is the B SUS Power filter

it is such an awsome filter, it is completely covered on top with mesh so no flies etc can get in, looks awsome... its huge though, size of my face

as for returning it i dont want to! i just love the filter Sad
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: air filter adaptor pipe Fri, 09 July 2004 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
114mm? That's huge.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: air filter adaptor pipe Fri, 09 July 2004 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tell me bout it! but if you saw this thing it is hectic

IT IS GOING ON!!!!!!!!!!! i dont care how but it will Laughing

was considering something like this
- one pipe from 114 down to 87.5 (4.5" to 3.5")
- another from 87.5 down to 62.5 (3.5" to 2.5")

instead of a single drop for 4.5" to 2.5"
Alainve
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: air filter adaptor pipe Fri, 09 July 2004 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
take it to a sheetmetal shop. they will make up an adapter to suit it perfectly and that will flow well unlike that dodgy pvc shit.
alternativeley list the dimensions here and i will see what i can make and charge appropriateley.
id say around $35 for a simple conical adapter depending on the length.
what length have you got to work with? do you want it as short as possible?
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: air filter adaptor pipe Fri, 09 July 2004 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alainve i might take you up on the offer depending what happens, i got a few pipes coming to me in the next week or so and ill see what happens with that first

also ill measure up what i want and stuff, prob take a pic or 2 and send it off to you or just post on my site (check avatar for site). but basically if you have seen the bay for a 22, then the filter will be where the battery sits

BTW where is MEDOWIE??? Confused
Alainve
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: air filter adaptor pipe Sat, 10 July 2004 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
medowie is just north of newcastle.

i used to own a TA22 so i know pretty well where you want the filter to go. what type of pipe are you using to go from the turbo over to the filter? please dont say PVC!?
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: air filter adaptor pipe Sat, 10 July 2004 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ATM nothing, engine doesant start yet, its all there just not wired up, no fuel pump in it (but i do have it) and fuel tank out of car.

but ATM there is a small (prob 100mm in total) hose coming off turbo, 2.5" in diameter, small bend (i would estimate 30deg bend) so that it doesnt hit anything else.

if you go to members.optusnet.com.au/fadee and look at pic celica004.jpg that is it... nowe the pic is very blurry, but at the top middle is currently a PVC pipe coming out of the hose i am talking bout. now i have removed the PVC but still have it.

i would want something exactly like that, the PVC is 2.5" diameter and bout 150mm long. what i need is exactly the same but it would have to go from 2.5" to 3.5" and remain 150mm (maybe reduce to 100mm). from that i would then need another pipe from 3.5" to 4.5" but have a bend/turn in it so that it will end up in the battery area and not through the bonnet. this would need to be approx 100mm aswell.

further to that i would need some sort of bracket to hold the filter in place so that it doesnt move around and stuff but im not worried bout this yet.

lastly the lengths given are estimates to say the least, but that should give you an idea of what i want/need.
Alainve
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: air filter adaptor pipe Sun, 11 July 2004 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok not quite what i asked for but he i go again( u probably answered this but theres lots of ups and downs so ill start again)
turbo inlet size outside diameter in mm =?
air filter outlet size diameter in mm =?

so the pipe comes out of the turbo 100mm then bends 30 degrees then continues another 100mm after the bend?

since theres pipe work and stuff u need also i cant guarantee a price but i can still say $35 + materials and postage
what material do you want it made from mild steel or stainless?

[Updated on: Sun, 11 July 2004 05:18]

fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: air filter adaptor pipe Sun, 11 July 2004 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
let me measure it up and get back to you. i want it as cheap as possible so prob sheetmetal as turbo gonna get changed down the track

i wont measure turbo diameter cause it already has the hose coming off it whch is just fine how it is... i will get exact specifics of what i want and PM you...

i will try and get my measurements and requirements to the smallest detail for you. give me a couple days
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: air filter adaptor pipe Fri, 16 July 2004 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK UPDATE... after a long head ache i have decided to get rid of the air filter i have and get a normal 3" one... i am swapping the one i have for the stainless steel on with 3" neck

i have purchased a stainless steel pipe to run from my turbo to where i want the filter to go and it turned out perfect WOOHOO Very Happy

on that note i want to thank everyone for their responses and ideas they were all considered but if you saw the neck of the old filter!!!!! Shocked its HUGE ALSO a big thanks to ALAINVE i appreciate your offer but it was justt too much of a headache to go through with BUT THANKS ANYWAY

so cheers guys and ill keep you all posted on the new filter when i get it and put in... also keep an eye out on members.optusnet.com.au/fadee as this is where all my pics go as the project progresses. some are crap but the new ones are MAD pics... one of the filter should be up soon
Alainve
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: air filter adaptor pipe Fri, 16 July 2004 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good to hear its sorted now. altho the bling filter would be cool it pays to think first do some measurements then buy the correct one in the first place Laughing
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: air filter adaptor pipe Sat, 31 July 2004 04:41 Go to previous message
OK guys after a long period of mucking around and changing filters toa good one here it is... changed the original massive filter with this new stainless steel one

http://members.optusnet.com.au/fadee/airfilter.JPG

http://members.optusnet.com.au/fadee/einginehead%2 0on.JPG

WHAT YOU RECON GUYS/GALS? MMMMMMMMMMMM stainless steel............
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:18rgeu wiring problem
Next Topic:Levin to Trueno
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 28 11:19:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.045375108718872 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.