Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Who said 7M, had no potential??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Who said 7M, had no potential?? Mon, 29 March 2004 12:15 Go to next message
http://www.accordturbo.com/Blc-Jet%20Dyno.jpg

BLC-JET MA70 Supra Shocked
  Send a private message to this user    
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Who said 7M, had no potential?? Mon, 29 March 2004 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7m going to 8800 rpm? Rolling Eyes

hmmmmkhay...

impressive figures none the less. any specs?
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Who said 7M, had no potential?? Mon, 29 March 2004 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dug up and article from fast fours when this car was making 565kw@8100 and 12.48@133mph.

Internals: block: decked; torque plate bore and hone with plateau brush; i beam rods; rod bolts; floating forged pistons; gapless rings; head and mains studs; crank been stress relieved, cross drilled, tuftrided, index ground; heavily modded oil pump. Head: hardened and annealed; standard valves with seven angle seats, pleanty of porting, aftermarket cams, trd valve springs, hks 1.0mm mhg, 8.5:1 CR
Induction: ta51 garret, custom tube and fin cooler, custom 10 litre plenum with bell mouths, 3inch cooler piping, 4 litre surge tank, holley 15psi pre pump, 2x044 bosch pumps, 1/2in feed fuel line, 3/8in return line, 1000cc injectors, malpassi fuel pressure reg.
Management: motec m48, 5 core radiator
Exhaust: port matched, tuned length, twin entry, split pulse manifold, 45mm external gate, 3.5in turbo to cat, 3in cat to tip, 3.5in cat, single 3in muffler
Drivetrain: Supra 5 speed, triple plate clutch, standard diff, 3.5in tailshaft, standard brakes
Suspension: bilstein struts with 3in lowered kings
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Who said 7M, had no potential?? Mon, 29 March 2004 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
STR8 2.8 wrote on Tue, 30 March 2004 00:20

, standard brakes

Some people just don't get it do they ???? Rolling Eyes
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Who said 7M, had no potential?? Mon, 29 March 2004 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Tue, 30 March 2004 07:46

, standard brakes

Hey man didn't you read it's got lowered kings springs! At least the suspension is sorted Laughing

All that power and only a 12.48 second timeslip. Since it's got a manual gearbox, I guess it's not meant to be a drag car... but what was it built for? Completely mad street driving?

and standard diff still hanging on? - Go the almighty G-series!

[Updated on: Mon, 29 March 2004 23:38]

UUP-46X
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Who said 7M, had no potential?? Tue, 30 March 2004 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any one got pics of the car??

Cheers,
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Who said 7M, had no potential?? Tue, 30 March 2004 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lumpy wrote on Tue, 30 March 2004 09:37

bbaacchhyy wrote on Tue, 30 March 2004 07:46

, standard brakes

Hey man didn't you read it's got lowered kings springs! At least the suspension is sorted Laughing

All that power and only a 12.48 second timeslip. Since it's got a manual gearbox, I guess it's not meant to be a drag car... but what was it built for? Completely mad street driving?

Correct, King springs sort out everything Very Happy

all that grunt and only 12.48 - musn't be able to drive that well. Norbs gets close to that and he has less power and crappy tires !!!!!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Who said 7M, had no potential?? Tue, 30 March 2004 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah
norbie's is in a car that weighs 300kgs less tho Smile
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Who said 7M, had no potential?? Tue, 30 March 2004 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Tue, 30 March 2004 12:01

yeah
norbie's is in a car that weighs 300kgs less tho Smile

I still doesn't have anywhere near 650 rwkW though !!!!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Who said 7M, had no potential?? Tue, 30 March 2004 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Tue, 30 March 2004 12:00

all that grunt and only 12.48 - musn't be able to drive that well. Norbs gets close to that and he has less power and crappy tires !!!!!

Exactly what I was thinking. My launch was woeful (2.7 60ft) so this guy must have truly sucked getting it out of the hole!

Still, the trap speed says it all: 117mph vs 133mph. Shocked
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: Who said 7M, had no potential?? Tue, 30 March 2004 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive got pics but i need to resize them, i'll put them up later in the day
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Who said 7M, had no potential?? Tue, 30 March 2004 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trap speed indicated hi 10's right??
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
very interesting............ Tue, 30 March 2004 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AH HA-The 7m is a great motor-but as we all know there is the ever present bone of contention associated with them "The Head Gasket Issue".

It is something that has always bugged me about the 7M, and all the m series. I know some stalwarts will say there isn't a problem-but the reality is that they do blow far more regularly than other motors. Having a look at the bolt spacings and general arrangement of the head, there doesn't seem to be any obvious reason for it, however something I have found with the 5M/4M heads in particular is that they have a tendency to go "soft". This seems to happen when the engines get a bit warm and screw up the temper. In the 5M's you can see it easily as the posts on the head where the rocker gear mounts begin to squash/collapse. This can be fixed but it requires someone capable of properly annealing and hardening the head again. (very few places are capable of this properly.) I have often wondered if this problem is common to the later M's (it would be assuming the same metal was used.)

The reason I say this is because in the specs of the motor posted earlier it mentions a "hardened and annealed" head. Perhaps this has remedied the gasket problem. To me, this points to the M's being flawed not by design, but perhaps a poor material selection. Maybe this is the root of the problem and by hardening and annealing it eliminates the problem. They obviously have some success (a slight understatement...)considering the boost levels it's running.

What do you guys think?

Sean

Damn inpressive motor!!!!
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Who said 7M, had no potential?? Tue, 30 March 2004 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

i think someone stole the 4m out of my car Laughing Razz
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: very interesting............ Tue, 30 March 2004 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MS-75 wrote on Tue, 30 March 2004 16:19

What do you guys think?

I think you could be onto something there! I've heard similar stories about earlier Toyota engines (eg 18R-G) having soft alloy which doesn't take too well to overheating. It would be interesting to find out exactly what material they used in the later M series engines and what they used in the JZ engines, which of course don't have the same headgasket problems.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Who said 7M, had no potential?? Tue, 30 March 2004 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Surely it may also be a combination of issues that all helped to create the problem. Not just one symptom on its own?

- 2JZ has a greater space between cylinder bores (7m was a bored out 2L was it not?)

- 7M was prone to poor flow in the water jacket in cyl 6 and corrosion / use of non red coolant also effected this area.

- Head gasket wasnt torqued down enough

- 2JZ also uses a metal gasket.

And as sean mentioned above, the material used.
torque
Regular

May 2003
Re: Who said 7M, had no potential?? Tue, 30 March 2004 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just cannot believe only a mid 12 second time with that sort of power.. I wonder what it would make on another dyno.

Must be making decent power though - to get 133mph, but 565rwkw is a whole lot of grunt.. hmm.
DOR-186
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: Who said 7M, had no potential?? Tue, 30 March 2004 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trap speed and engine power say low-10's. im hoping that it was run with street tyres and lots and lots of wheel spin. if it was done with slicks Nope No No No

but anyway it is a VERY nice supra and with 565rwkw it would be awsome to drive around a track or outback NT mmmmmmmm boost wonder how long the diff is doing to last him??
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Who said 7M, had no potential?? Tue, 30 March 2004 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a quote from fast fours...

"As the standard diff was proving to be a problem. Nik lowered the boost to 25psi and just drove the car off the line (2.89 60ft) to record a 12.48 at 133mph. "im confident the car can run a high 9, low 10 at 140mph as is. I only just pulled fourth gear across the line so the gearing is needs some attention. at the time of writing the diff was being rebuilt with a new 4.8:1 center and thicker driveshaft axles."

pretty sure it says somewhere in the article that they welded the stock diff too...of was that in the yellow "I8A4RE" ? bah i dunno, just hope BLC JET is at melb auto salon on the weekend Very Happy
CussCuss
Newcomer

April 2004
Re: Who said 7M, had no potential?? Thu, 01 April 2004 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey all, since this is my 1st post id better make it a usefull one.

http://www4.tpg.com.au/rand/heathcote_03_072_001b.jpg
http://www4.tpg.com.au/rand/heathcote_03_072_002b.jpg
http://www4.tpg.com.au/rand/heathcote_03_072_003b.jpg
http://www4.tpg.com.au/rand/heathcote_03_072_004b.jpg
http://www4.tpg.com.au/rand/heathcote_03_072_005b.jpg
http://www4.tpg.com.au/rand/heathcote_03_072_006b.jpg
http://www4.tpg.com.au/rand/heathcote_03_072_022b.jpg
http://www4.tpg.com.au/rand/heathcote_03_072_023b.jpg
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Who said 7M, had no potential?? Thu, 01 April 2004 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Saw that one at the car show. Cannot say I was expecting to see a Mk III but was nice to see. Looks like he has done a little more work since then as before the power graph was painful to see.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Who said 7M, had no potential?? Thu, 01 April 2004 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where's the air-filter? Surely he's not driving around without one?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Who said 7M, had no potential?? Thu, 01 April 2004 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lumpy wrote on Thu, 01 April 2004 13:11

Correct, just a big bellmouth on the turbo inlet instead.
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Who said 7M, had no potential?? Thu, 01 April 2004 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lumpy wrote on Thu, 01 April 2004 13:11

stick your finger in and find out Laughing
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Who said 7M, had no potential?? Thu, 01 April 2004 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Perhaps Sean could post a few comments about the merits of driving around without an air-filter. Smile

Yes I know it's just a bellmouth in the photo's! I wonder if it gets driven anywhere like that - or if it had an airfilter on when doing the dyno run.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Who said 7M, had no potential?? Thu, 01 April 2004 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most dedicated drag cars run with no filter. The engines aren't built to last anyway so sucking in a bit of dirt is unlikely to make any difference.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Who said 7M, had no potential?? Thu, 01 April 2004 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 01 April 2004 16:36

.....The engines aren't built to last anyway.......

....and it's only a 7M anyway.... Laughing
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Who said 7M, had no potential?? Sat, 03 April 2004 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i hope you dont really mean that dave! Rolling Eyes

That's seb's supra...its videos are on fullboost.com.au

He used to have 532rwkw, but a shitty torque curve
Went back to 485rwkw, very nice torque curve
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who said 7M, had no potential?? Sun, 04 April 2004 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Thu, 01 April 2004 20:08

.....The engines aren't built to last anyway.......

....and it's only a 7M anyway.... Laughing

Well he can rest easy at least his dipstick wont fall out.. hey dave??? Twisted Evil
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Who said 7M, had no potential?? Sun, 04 April 2004 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Most dedicated drag cars run with no filter. The engines aren't built to last anyway so sucking in a bit of dirt is unlikely to make any difference.

hehehehe, dedicated drag car... heehehe... 12.5sec quater... hehehehe...

i reckon my dog could race it competitively down the first 200yards based on that output curve... dyno queen No No No

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Who said 7M, had no potential?? Sun, 04 April 2004 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Sun, 04 April 2004 21:19

Well he can rest easy at least his dipstick wont fall out.. hey dave??? Twisted Evil

As you know Al, the dipstick popped out because the breather was connected to a sealed cannister. It also wasn't in the standard position.

And it makes 6 rwkW more than your modified turbo in NA guise. Laughing
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Who said 7M, had no potential?? Sun, 04 April 2004 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Sun, 04 April 2004 22:39

hehehehe, dedicated drag car... heehehe... 12.5sec quater... hehehehe...

i reckon my dog could race it competitively down the first 200yards based on that output curve... dyno queen No No No

lol untill it makes boost and sucks ur dog thru that monster turbo Laughing Laughing Laughing
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Who said 7M, had no potential?? Sun, 04 April 2004 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Sun, 04 April 2004 23:20

Allan wrote on Sun, 04 April 2004 21:19

it makes 6 rwkW more than your modified turbo in NA guise. Laughing

I think 120,000 hard boosted Km has taken its toll on my poor ol soopie' ahhh well chuck another 2000 on that next weekend, and we will see where that 6kw difference is next year with a fresher 7m Wink

Drag ya to dubbo Smile

Allan
nitephyre
Regular

July 2003
Re: Who said 7M, had no potential?? Sat, 10 April 2004 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jesus christ, that turbo looks like it'd suck harder than a Valley hooker! Shocked

thats one niiice supra Smile
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Who said 7M, had no potential?? Sun, 11 April 2004 03:12 Go to previous message
Quote:

Who said 7M, had no potential?

I don't think many people say that - I think you'll find people just bag it for the amount of money (comparitively) to achieve good, reliable results.

Quote:

Don't quote me on this, but I believe this may be the one that shattered a diff on it's first drag meet a few years ago.

Quote:

all that grunt and only 12.48

Pay less attention to the ET and more atention to the MPH. Cars like that are notoriously hard to drive. On slicks it is hard to get the confidence to get right into it straight away, and without slicks it is hard to control the wheelspin. Either of these two scenarios, or even just a series of 'shakedown' passes, would explain a slow ET and huge MPH.

Quote:

Trap speed indicated hi 10's right??

Yep.

Quote:

2JZ has a greater space between cylinder bores

Have you actually measured this yourself, or are you just guessing? I agree that the bore on the 7M is huge, but from memory the actual spacing of the bores is actually very similar on the 7M and 1JZ/2JZ engines.

Quote:

thats one niiice supra

I actually think it's one of the ugliest things I've ever seen. But hey, I drive a Corona Wink
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:SUBZERO supra runs 9.3!
Next Topic:im looking for a celica, these are my options
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Jul 5 15:45:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.008105993270874 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.