Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Government is thinking of revoking 15yr import rule...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Government is thinking of revoking 15yr import rule... Fri, 15 August 2003 10:25 Go to next message
I picked this up off the twincam16 forums.... worth a read and definitely some lobbying to our pollies!

Quote:

taken from a email from david in the westfield club:

Quote:
-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------
Hi David

Important new to pass on to all car club members you are able to reach.

Certain members in our goverment have drafted a submission to parliment to STOP Personal Import of vehicle 15years and over by December 2003. The exact details are not known, however the news came from a reliable sorce within the Department Of Transport And Regional Services(DOTARS).

As per normal, We proberely would not have heard of anything until it is made law, however, we now have the opportunity to have our voices heard and reject cancellation or any dramatic changes to the exisiting regulations. We will all regret this in years to come if we don't act NOW!!

Background information

Prior to 2000. We use to be able to own and import a vehicle under 15 years old, as long as you have owned and driven it for a period of (3)three continous months. This worked out quite good for people the have earned long service leave and decided to travel in Europe, NZ....... to bring the car they used home. Now it's a full (12) twelve months use before you are entitled, that lurk just went out the window . This happened without any justifiable reason and I believe with only (3) three months warning.

Last year the goverment changed the rules for low volume imports and stopped a lot of vehicle being able to be imported. This mainly effected Japanese Imports only, but with no real reasons neither, except for the fact that the big players in the australian car market were getting jacked and had lunch with the right people.

The new system that has taken over, Registered Automotive workshop sceme (RAWS) is quite rediculas, the cost of getting set up is extremely high, the running cost of this programme is the same with only a limited number of makes and models. This cost will only be passed on to the consumer, so much for a chance of getting a good car cheap Jap Import. Generally speaking, this doesn't really effect the car enthuists unless you are into newer Japanese makes and models.

Now, The only sacret place left for the car enthuist to import an affordable vehicle of their choice challanged. As it is, we are only able to take the risk, purchase, and ship a vehicle of a minimum vintage of 15year and they want to take this away from us as well. One has to remember, this effect all models and makes of vehicles, in some cases some makes and models were not ever available in OZ. The effects to the car enthuists are quite substancial, we will not be able to bring a vehicle in in hope for restoration, or the dream car you just couldn't afford back when it first came out. we will not be able to bring in a left hand drive vehicle for racing or parts to repair an exisiting vehicle. We will only be able to get whats already here in Australia, with high milage and at the high local prices. It's really got to make you think, there are so many rules for Vehicles just to be imported into the country. Yet, you can buy and ship a brand new boat into Australia with no restrictions at all, Pay your Duty and Gst and register it the next day, no body cares, why?? strange ha!!

For a lot of my friends that are a little older. Just when you thought the kids have moved out and the morgage is paid out. The chance has finally come up for you to have a little fun in life and get that toy you always wanted, and they are ready to pull it right out form under you. Why do they want to cancell or change the rules, what harm is there in Importing a 15year old car?? We must let it be known, that we do not support any changes that may effect our right to purchase and import a vehicle 15years and older. I am saving up all my pennies and have my heart set on a Lotus or a TVR and I'll be damned to have some overpaid Poly take that away.

I wrote this in a rush, So please feel free to contact me at any time if you want to discuss the details further. I sincerely hope you are willing and able to pass on this information and stimulate a responce from our fellow car club mambers and all other car clubs. There is thousands upon thousands of car enthuists out there. We have strength in numbers let see what we can do!!

Sincerely

Mark

Send a private message to this user    
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Government is thinking of revoking 15yr import rule... Fri, 15 August 2003 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats totally F*****. I can't believe they are trying to pull this shit now.

Seriously. Is it gonna affect any local industries..
I'm pissed off hard Embarassed

How far is from being approved?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Government is thinking of revoking 15yr import rule... Fri, 15 August 2003 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its a little bit of wind in the trees kind of talk... not official.
Ill be chatting with my local MP either way to find out, i suggest people do the same.
SmellyTofu
Regular

May 2002
Re: Government is thinking of revoking 15yr import rule... Fri, 15 August 2003 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think this stinks... If the local players want some $$ out of people importing 15 y.o. cars, then why don't they do it themselves? I'd like to see Toyota dealers stock and guarentee their own imports like they do in NZ. Sure people like Monroe and Walker don't get their sales on their locally built cars, but Toyota will still reap the profits. I don't think people paying an extra $10k or so will really affect the popularity of models that just creaped over the 15 yrs mark such as the Celsior etc. Considering they are worth $20k now for the "officially imported" LS400.

Anyway... I think the situation is really stuffed... at least in the European car makers are bring out some exciting models that the Japanese aren't... (well, I did hear the Civic Type R is being reconsidered... gotta be happy with that... let's hope Toyota does the same)
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Government is thinking of revoking 15yr import rule... Sat, 16 August 2003 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can you imagine how much toyota dealers would make importing mkIV supras?

the aust market has been starved of so many great performance cars, anyone who decided to actually import them would make a mint.

I dont know why none of the manufacturers pick up on this
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Government is thinking of revoking 15yr import rule... Sat, 16 August 2003 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so they are going to stop ALL imports beyonds 15yrs.

And only some SEVS vehicles can come in?
wot are we coming too.
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Government is thinking of revoking 15yr import rule... Sat, 16 August 2003 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wait a sec.. think of all the people who have either paid a deposit, or completley paid for their 1989 cars atm, which places like prestige motorsport, j-spec, etc hold over there until january.

Think about all the cars that have been purchased with mods like engine swaps, major engine work, or bored engines.

If this law is passed, theres hardly any point trying to get these vehicles back to stock condition to pass them under sevs (if the model will be able to be passed at all). This will put a huge number of importers out of business when they have to return money to customers and try and resell the cars in japan. If the car companies are lobbying for something like this, isnt it about time they brought in their own low volume imports to sell? I reckon all the Lexus SC400 & LS400 owners have probably had a say in this due to how shitty their $160,000 LS400 is worth $10,000 resale now due to japanese imports Confused

But then again, im not really surprised anymore what the federal government does to screw car enthusiasts over.
SXer
Regular

May 2002
Re: Government is thinking of revoking 15yr import rule... Tue, 19 August 2003 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the original quote wasn't quite right in the "background" section:

Cars owned overseas for twelve months have never had to be 15yrs+ before being importable. These are known as private imports and are not affected by the RAWS scheme

Also

Judging by the prices that cars brought in under the RAWS scheme are going for (where I'm using Geoff Riseby's prices as a guide) - the RAWS scheme isn't that causing car prices to be too much higher than they were under the old scheme.

Having said that - I'd be very dissapointed if the 15yr+ rule was revoked. It provides a cheap way to get an interesting perormance car that would otherwise be impossible.
One slightly negative side-effect of cheaply available performance cars is that I suspect the number of interesting engine conversions has gone down. Why do a conversion when you can buy a stock car with power?? Sad I like wacky conversions Sad Sad
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Government is thinking of revoking 15yr import rule... Tue, 19 August 2003 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Fri, 15 August 2003 20:25

I picked this up off the twincam16 forums.... worth a read and definitely some lobbying to our pollies!

Quote:

taken from a email from david in the westfield club:

Quote:
-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------
Hi David

Important new to pass on to all car club members you are able to reach.

Certain members in our goverment have drafted a submission to parliment to STOP Personal Import of vehicle 15years and over by December 2003. The exact details are not known, however the news came from a reliable sorce within the Department Of Transport And Regional Services(DOTARS).

As per normal, We proberely would not have heard of anything until it is made law, however, we now have the opportunity to have our voices heard and reject cancellation or any dramatic changes to the exisiting regulations. We will all regret this in years to come if we don't act NOW!!

Background information

Prior to 2000. We use to be able to own and import a vehicle under 15 years old, as long as you have owned and driven it for a period of (3)three continous months. This worked out quite good for people the have earned long service leave and decided to travel in Europe, NZ....... to bring the car they used home. Now it's a full (12) twelve months use before you are entitled, that lurk just went out the window . This happened without any justifiable reason and I believe with only (3) three months warning.

Last year the goverment changed the rules for low volume imports and stopped a lot of vehicle being able to be imported. This mainly effected Japanese Imports only, but with no real reasons neither, except for the fact that the big players in the australian car market were getting jacked and had lunch with the right people.

The new system that has taken over, Registered Automotive workshop sceme (RAWS) is quite rediculas, the cost of getting set up is extremely high, the running cost of this programme is the same with only a limited number of makes and models. This cost will only be passed on to the consumer, so much for a chance of getting a good car cheap Jap Import. Generally speaking, this doesn't really effect the car enthuists unless you are into newer Japanese makes and models.

Now, The only sacret place left for the car enthuist to import an affordable vehicle of their choice challanged. As it is, we are only able to take the risk, purchase, and ship a vehicle of a minimum vintage of 15year and they want to take this away from us as well. One has to remember, this effect all models and makes of vehicles, in some cases some makes and models were not ever available in OZ. The effects to the car enthuists are quite substancial, we will not be able to bring a vehicle in in hope for restoration, or the dream car you just couldn't afford back when it first came out. we will not be able to bring in a left hand drive vehicle for racing or parts to repair an exisiting vehicle. We will only be able to get whats already here in Australia, with high milage and at the high local prices. It's really got to make you think, there are so many rules for Vehicles just to be imported into the country. Yet, you can buy and ship a brand new boat into Australia with no restrictions at all, Pay your Duty and Gst and register it the next day, no body cares, why?? strange ha!!

For a lot of my friends that are a little older. Just when you thought the kids have moved out and the morgage is paid out. The chance has finally come up for you to have a little fun in life and get that toy you always wanted, and they are ready to pull it right out form under you. Why do they want to cancell or change the rules, what harm is there in Importing a 15year old car?? We must let it be known, that we do not support any changes that may effect our right to purchase and import a vehicle 15years and older. I am saving up all my pennies and have my heart set on a Lotus or a TVR and I'll be damned to have some overpaid Poly take that away.

I wrote this in a rush, So please feel free to contact me at any time if you want to discuss the details further. I sincerely hope you are willing and able to pass on this information and stimulate a responce from our fellow car club mambers and all other car clubs. There is thousands upon thousands of car enthuists out there. We have strength in numbers let see what we can do!!

Sincerely

Mark

This is ,apparently, news to DOTARS (according to one of their "assessors" I spoke to on Monday).

The gist of the response was "We don't know of any changes, or any proposed changes, to the scheme in the immediate future..."

(She also noted that rumours - such as the above - are going around in a number of forms).

I have a vested interest in this, as we are importing a Celsior next year...(and, yes, I had already faxed them re: proposed changes to the scheme in July - and received a response similar to the one above back then).

If anyone has regular access to the Government Gazette (as distinct from the "Public Service Gazette"), that would be the best source of news on proposed changes to this (or any other) legislation - it has to be "gazetted" to allow public comment/objections for 30 days prior to being debated in Parliament. If anyone has such access, please let me know, as I am (obviously) keen to follow any potential legislative changes through to next year...
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Government is thinking of revoking 15yr import rule... Tue, 26 August 2003 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
let's just overthrow the govt's and start making our own rules!! ones that actually means something... ie break into my car I'll have full right on breaking every one of your limbs Evil or Very Mad
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Government is thinking of revoking 15yr import rule... Wed, 03 September 2003 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well as you may know they count the month now as well as the year (ie, sept/89 supra wont be able to be complied till sept/04). A friend with a vehicle waiting in japan which he was under the impression that he was getting it in january.
After hearing this he wrote to the administrator of vehicle standards asking for special consideration, this was their reply.

"Administrator of Vehicle Standards"

VEHICLES IMPORTED AS 15 YEARS OR OLDER

We wish to advise that:

Vehicles 15 years or older must be at least 15 years old at time of
making an application. For example if the vehicle is manufactured in the
month of November 1988, then an application cannot be made until November

Regulation 17 of the Motor Vehicle Standards Regulations provides that:

The Minister must approve an application to import a nonstandard
road vehicle or a vehicle that does not have an identification plate if the
vehicle is 15 or more years old.

It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that vehicles meet the
requirement to be 15 or more years old at the time of application. It has
become apparent that many applicants are expecting to import vehicles early
in the new year under the provisions of Regulation 17. To meet the
requirements of the regulation vehicles must be at least 15 years old at the
time of application. Vehicles that do not meet that requirement are not
eligible to be imported.

From 1 January 2004, applications to import vehicles that are 15 or more
years old will need to include evidence to confirm the age of the vehicle.
Acceptable evidence would include (but not be limited to) confirmation from
the vehicle manufacturer of evidence of first date of registration.
Applications that do not include this information will be rejected, unless
it is obvious from the vehicle model concerned that it would meet the
requirements of Regulation 17 (for example, if the vehicle was a Model T
Ford).

Under no circumstance can an exception be given to this rule.

Peter Robertson

Administrator of Vehicle Standards

2 September 2003

just FYI
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Government is thinking of revoking 15yr import rule... Thu, 04 September 2003 01:44 Go to previous message
Exactly the same reply as I got...

Which is why I've just written to the Minister. (I might add, that is only the first of a series of steps open to me... Cool )
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Whats the diff between GZ & MZ 20/21?
Next Topic:neg driving - do I have a case?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Jun 13 06:18:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073790550231934 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.