Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
thomasbl
Occasional Poster

June 2004
1G-gte Conversion Sat, 19 June 2004 03:30 Go to next message
Hi all, i am a long time viewer of this forum but first time poster. Before you give me the instruction to search the wealth of info in the archives, i assure you that i have spent a great deal of time researching these topics.
Firstly, have been planning a RA28 project for a while, originally looked at 3t-gteu but am now leaning towards a 3rd gen IG-GTE. I suppose i am really after some clarification of some of the info out there.
Much of what i have read suggests that the 1G is a fairly straight forward conversion. Am i correct to say that using a mid-type mount for a 1G that there is no mounting mods needed except slight changes to a mid-rear sump?
Most post will say that "no mount mods are required", however it is rarely stated what mounts people use in the conversion?

Any responses appreciated, i know that a lot of info on the net should not be taken as gospel but there seems to be a few differing views out there which i thought that some of you could easily clarify.
Thaks- Tom
  Send a private message to this user    
Siktoy ra23
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1G-gte Conversion Sat, 19 June 2004 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TOM
If you get the cast alloy mounts you will have to chop the mounting brackets off your cross member and weld 2 flat peices of steel to it for the mount to bolt to, as for the steel mounts on the engine I don't now.

BEN
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-gte Conversion Sun, 20 June 2004 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you use the steel fabricated 1ggte mounts you they would need to be placed in the front set of holes on the motor for engine mounts (there are 2 the front mounts and rear mounts)
This inturn should allow you to pick up the mounts on the original x member with the only modification being the sump. However if you are running a the gte you will come into problems with the turbos hitting the top of the steering and a comp cover pipe on the rear turbo also hitting the clutch master. To combat this problem you would need to lower the passenger side engine mount and sit the motor on an angle, which is the way they originaly sat in the gzz20 soarer and ga70 supra. Good Luck
thomasbl
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: 1G-gte Conversion Sun, 20 June 2004 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys. It is good to hear some advice that is consistant with the other information that i have found. Its a little off topic, but out of curiosity- What is the theory behing running a few degrees of slant on some engines? Is it purely for clearance issues? Cheers. Tom
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-gte Conversion Sun, 20 June 2004 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well in the case of a ra2x celica yes it is due to clearance issues, however manyfactures use this practice a lot. For instance BMW have there engines on a slant, Peugot also do the same, not sure about the theory behind it though.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-gte Conversion Sun, 20 June 2004 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Usually clearance for tall engines, but it also helps keep the centre of mass a little lower.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 1G-gte Conversion Sun, 20 June 2004 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also for carbied motors, having a slant helps the carby and intake system to work better.
Testa_Dura
Regular

January 2004

Re: 1G-gte Conversion Sun, 20 June 2004 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Me and a few mates did this conversion on my ra23 at the start of the year. We put in a gen 3 1ggte. The mounts used im pretty sure are off the 1gge. The actual conversion was pretty straight forward. I angled the engine on the side of the steering box to help the clearence, but it still kinda hits. As far as the sump is concerned, that was just massaged slightly with a hammer and that cleared the steering. I found the previous threads to be extremely helpfull as well as the articles on this conversion. The only problem i came across that was unexpected was when fitting the 1gge mounts on the gte, the drivers side mount hit the oil return so the the mount would not bolt onto the block. However this was also fixed quite easily with a big hammer Smile
thomasbl
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: 1G-gte Conversion Mon, 21 June 2004 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the info guys.
If you are interested, further to the lowering of COG and for styling purposes- I have found that also slanting engines was also to counteract engine load charactristics. That is when you rev an engine it twists on the mounts from passangers side to drivers side and most slant engines are slanted towards the passenger side (is rh drive cars) also is supposed to help with vibration issues.

Thanks. Tom
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1G-gte Conversion Mon, 21 June 2004 06:31 Go to previous message
Tom,
Just as a counterpoint to this the 1G-GZE engine from a GS121 1985-1987 Crown bolts onto the RA23/24/28/29 crossmember with the only modification being shortening the rear of the mid-sump.
Cheers,
Mitch.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:s/c belt squeak. too tight or loose?
Next Topic:4agte expert?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jun 17 16:12:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060830116271973 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.