Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
casey
Occasional Poster

March 2003

icon5.gif  2TG Rebuild Fri, 20 June 2003 06:07 Go to next message
Hey Guys

I need to get my 2TG's upper sector rebuilt (tappits, valve guides, clearances, chain etc.). Where's the best place to get this done? Compression's bloody low and it leaks a bit, while I'm at it should I have the whole thing rebuilt? Should I get a new engine? How much $$$ am I looking at?

I need a replacment Distributer, cap and leads and probably a new chain tensioner too, should I get these replaced at the same time or do it myself?

I got a $2000ish budget and I'm sworn off doing anything more than basic stuff myself. Haven't the time, the experience, the tools or the inclination.

The goal is reliablity fairly soonish, but with a mind for it being done up properly later...

Thanx fellas
  Send a private message to this user    
Snyper
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2TG Rebuild Fri, 20 June 2003 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm, talk to some reputable mechanics in your area... it's hard to put a cost on a rebuild though.. cos when you pull the head of to recondition the head like it sounds like needs to be done, while you're at it you could get new pistons and rings done, while you do that you could get oversize pistons done, then lighten this, and balance that and port and polish the head... I know this may not have been a help, but in the end either do the basics of what needs to be done... or say to yourself, full rebuild, but to standard specs with no mods, otherwise your 2k budget will end up into a 4-5k budget...
few other people on here can agree for that

Brendon
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: 2TG Rebuild Fri, 20 June 2003 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how long since the bottom end of the motor has had any work???
if you have around the $2000 mark you will be able to get away with a great rebuild for that money!!! that including all labour!

[Updated on: Fri, 20 June 2003 08:55]

BigBadBenny
Regular

May 2002
Re: 2TG Rebuild Fri, 20 June 2003 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah just get the basic's done now,
When I was building my Hybrid motor I went a bit silly and it ended up costing me $4000 drive away, mind you I did all the work myself but used the best of everything.
now I have a motor that has killed my auto trans, flogged my diff, and split all my rear upper and lower control arm bushes.
I couldn't be happier Very Happy
casey
Occasional Poster

March 2003

Re: 2TG Rebuild Mon, 23 June 2003 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
juzzo84 wrote on Fri, 20 June 2003 18:54

how long since the bottom end of the motor has had any work???

Years and years... It's been neglected for ages... I'm surprised it's managed to survive this long... Then again it is a Toyota... Smile

BigBadBenny wrote on Fri, 20 June 2003 19:29

I couldn't be happier Very Happy

I can believe it!!

What is the motor??
BigBadBenny
Regular

May 2002
Re: 2TG Rebuild Mon, 23 June 2003 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a very tough and sexy looking Hybrid 3T-G
Very Happy
casey
Occasional Poster

March 2003

Re: 2TG Rebuild Tue, 24 June 2003 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you still have that 2TG you were selling, Justin?
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: 2TG Rebuild Tue, 24 June 2003 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, i sure do, i have a couple of 2tg for sale, if your intersted give me a call and i can give you all the details
justin
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: 2TG Rebuild Tue, 24 June 2003 12:24 Go to previous message
just in regard to the negleted bottom end, its probably work going the whole hog, cause if you get it all back together and have to pull the head back off to do work to the bottom end you will be spitting chips, i would go all the way and spend that little bit more
justin
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Rattle sound in 18R head when revved to over 2K
Next Topic:5m-e head onto 5m-ge block
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 9 00:48:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.039139986038208 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.