Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Aluminium Crank Pulley - Smart People Look Here!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Aluminium Crank Pulley - Smart People Look Here! Tue, 09 December 2003 03:36 Go to next message
I was going to machine up a nice aluminium crank pully for my 3sgte but have been told by a mate it upsets the harmonics of the engine. Thats why they have rubber in them. To be honest I didnt follow his arguement that well.

Anyway, I would have thought this would have a similar effect to lightening your flywheel........Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated!!

[Updated on: Tue, 09 December 2003 03:40]

Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Aluminium Crank Pulley - Smart People Look Here! Tue, 09 December 2003 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, crank pulleys are important for harmonic balance and shouldn't be messed with. The reduction in rotating mass is likely to have a negligible effect anyway; a crank pulley is much lighter than a flywheel, and it has a much smaller diameter as well, so it doesn't have that much inertia.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Aluminium Crank Pulley - Smart People Look Here! Tue, 09 December 2003 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well known problem with the 2JZGTE, particularly when running an auto. Some of the guys have been running lightweight underdrive crank pulleys. Apparently, due to crank length and other reasons, harmonic vibrations are setup along the length of the crank. These are particularly magnified at cylinder number 1. This results in 'crank walk' and also loosening of the flexplate bolts. Apparently doesn't happen with the manual variants - the dual mass flywheel and its weight are supposedly protective. Reg Reimer has a nice page on it somewhere - lost all my bookmarks with a reformat.

Not sure how it translates to your 3SGTE.

Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Aluminium Crank Pulley - Smart People Look Here! Tue, 09 December 2003 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Replacing harmonic balancers with solid pulleys has been known to cause problems with 6 and 8 cylinder engines, I've yet the hear of anyone having problems with a Toyota 4 (and there are a bunch of people running NEVO pulleys on 4AGZE's).
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Aluminium Crank Pulley - Smart People Look Here! Tue, 09 December 2003 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ben,

on race 4age's there have been a number of crank failures due to modified or solid harmonic balancers. certainly less common than 6 cylinder failures, but they will fail eventually.

T
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Aluminium Crank Pulley - Smart People Look Here! Tue, 09 December 2003 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So the general view is dont mess around with it unless its absolutely necessary.

The reason for the aluminium pulley was purely wank factor, and was in no way intended for a performance gain.

Righto fellas cheers.
5KinKP60
Regular

June 2002
Re: Aluminium Crank Pulley - Smart People Look Here! Tue, 09 December 2003 06:53 Go to previous message

The Danger of Power Pulleys &
Understanding the Harmonic Damper

By Steve Dinan

http://dinancars.com/html/danger_of_power_pulleys. htm

http://dinancars.com/default.htm
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Elec dizzy questions. M motors
Next Topic:Gen 2 Camry with WRX rims?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 9 18:28:58 UTC 2024