Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
freakincage_com
Regular

September 2003
ta22 engine conversion.??..help Mon, 03 May 2004 08:35 Go to next message
hey guys i kno this has been asked a million times but i want 2 kno wat engine is the best engine to modify my celica for...like wat engine is a good engine that can be gradualy upgraded to sum big horses at the wheels?
v6-commadore engine
sr-20det
2t-g(heavily worked)
2t-gte
2t-gze
3t-gte
13b turbo
4agze
4age
4agte

i dont mind the actual converting the bay to fit the engine...i'm goin to b doin that myself....
v6-como
i herd that there is one going around and i was woundering if its legal?? and how much work is involved??

[Updated on: Fri, 07 May 2004 11:11]

Send a private message to this user    
Tommo
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: ta22 engine conversion...help Mon, 03 May 2004 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go the 1UZ
rxtoy
Regular

December 2003
Re: ta22 engine conversion...help Mon, 03 May 2004 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends entirely on how much horsepower you want and what you're willing to spend. SR20DET and 13B Turbo have the most potential power but they'll also cost the most to get in there.

4AGTE is an awesome engine and can make some serious power + its been done so many times that its pretty damn easy. easy to start off with too, just drop in a bluetop, reasonably cheap if you can do most of the work yourself and easily upgradeable to 4AGZE block and turbo later. also its a toyota engine, they're pretty much bulletproof.

if you're talking about serious money i'd be looking more at things like BEAMS 3SGE with a turbo conversion and a six speed gearbox out of the IS200's, or perhaps even a 1UZFE. its been done (and its been done with twin turbo's), its a fair bit of work from the sounds though.

good luck
Matt
freakincage_com
Regular

September 2003
Re: ta22 engine conversion...help Mon, 03 May 2004 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thx guyz...iz the 1uz the soara twin turbo or the straight six turbo???yer i herd the 3stge iz heaps of work and money to do cuz itz a front wheel drive engine...
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: ta22 engine conversion...help Mon, 03 May 2004 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 1uz is the toyota V8, found in soarers (amongst other cars)

the twin turbo 1uz is a custom turbo conversion
freakincage_com
Regular

September 2003
Re: ta22 engine conversion...help Mon, 03 May 2004 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh yer now i kno the engine...yer a engine rebuilder i rang up said i shuld put that v8 in my celica...but i dunt think thats legal is it?
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: ta22 engine conversion...help Mon, 03 May 2004 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope, 4L capacity is too much for a little 960Kg Celica, also since the original engine capacity was 1.6L, I think the max capacity you can get for a old skool celica is 3L or 2.5L? Someone will say for sure, I did read it in the ADR's, but cant remember.
wombat
Regular

July 2003
Re: ta22 engine conversion...help Mon, 03 May 2004 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
put the 13b turbo in. you'll own anyone on the road with a bit of work to it.

Porting and bigger turbo will do it.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ta22 engine conversion.v6 commo??..help Mon, 03 May 2004 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pity it's not street legal though.
wombat
Regular

July 2003
Re: ta22 engine conversion.v6 commo??..help Mon, 03 May 2004 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what a 13b turbo???? yeah it is, only you have to get an engineers
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: ta22 engine conversion.v6 commo??..help Mon, 03 May 2004 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what do u mean by serious hp

sertoius hp tp me is anything over 500 to 600

yr car is too light to get anyhting big put in it legally
unless u want to spend over 15 thousand

sr20t would be best if yr after over 500 hp

for about 10 to 15 grand u could get over 500

before u do anything what is yr budget

a decent conversion and alpt of hp will easily set u back over 10 or 12000

dont forget when u get alot of hp u then need a clutch gbox diff tailshaft fuel system brakes all to suit

the best thing with sr20s are that they are newish compared to rest

[Updated on: Mon, 03 May 2004 11:58]

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: ta22 engine conversion.v6 commo??..help Mon, 03 May 2004 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you get a pre-ecotec v6 motor, these things have massive torque off the line, and are very strong and can be played with lots. Not to mention itll make the thing go like a shower of shit. A thing to note as well is spare parts availability.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ta22 engine conversion.v6 commo??..help Mon, 03 May 2004 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wun fing I rilli notarsed iz sum pplz r uzin heeps of rilli bluddy anoyang wrdz. Are we all 11 year olds with a mobile??

The SR20 is not necessarily the wisest if you're looking for 600+hp, engine internals tend to get pretty expensive when you aim that high. Holden V6 will cause you to be victim to a lot of strife from smartarses round here, whether it's a good idea or not Evil or Very Mad I've seen a 1JZ in a TA22, thing had to be cut to pieces to fit it in there though - 4 cylinders/rotors are a MUCH easier fit, and can still be made to produce fairly impressive power with a suitable sized turbo Cool
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ta22 engine conversion.v6 commo??..help Mon, 03 May 2004 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wombat wrote on Mon, 03 May 2004 21:23

what a 13b turbo???? yeah it is, only you have to get an engineers

In Victoria perhaps, but the person who started this thread is from Qld so he won't get a 13B turbo street-legal in a TA22... not without spending an absolute bucketload of money anyway.
frr33q
Regular

June 2003
Re: ta22 engine conversion.v6 commo??..help Tue, 04 May 2004 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
13B isn't legal. sr20 good conversion if u dont want to spend too much and want value for money. toyota four bangers, all 4a conversions are good, so is the 3s and the popular t series motors can hold their own on the road. but why dont u drop in a 12a turbo. perfectly legal, relatively cheap, bucket loads of potential, and it wont way the front end of ur ta22 at all, everything will sit behind the strut towers as well so u will have one hell of a go-kart on ur hands. 500hp at the wheels is very achievable from a 12a turbo and is way cheaper to achieve than a piston motor due to the simple fact that is has a hell of a lot less moving parts in a rotor. Why the hell would u want to drop ina commo v6? Rolling Eyes
1: it will never be legal
2: it's a buick front wheel drive motor.
3: it was designed and developed in 1960
4: it was droppped from production by buick during the oil crissis of the 70's
5:holden bought the plans for that motor in the late 80's and didnt change a thing about it. and its still getting stuffed into commonhores till today.
thats my 2c
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ta22 engine conversion.v6 commo??..help Tue, 04 May 2004 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Has anyone ever stuck a 4E-FTE engine in a TA22? I imagine a fitting gearbox wouldn't be so easy to locate Sad
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ta22 engine conversion.v6 commo??..help Tue, 04 May 2004 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And not a Soul has mentioned the 3sgte for this one ..

How surprising ..

If your in brisbane be nice to Cool1 and you might get to see what a 3sgte in a ta22 can go like - I can guarantee a sr20 powered ta22 would be easily met on power grounds , plus they are capable fo 400 HP with bolt on parts without having to swap alot of the engine components
celicaboy
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: ta22 engine conversion.v6 commo??..help Tue, 04 May 2004 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sr20det would be the best option i think
std they put out respectable hp and it is very easy to buy upgrades for them and respond well to mods...
freakincage_com
Regular

September 2003
Re: ta22 engine conversion.v6 commo??..help Fri, 07 May 2004 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok thx heaps for the response guys....someone said a 12a turbo???...could anyone give me details on the engine...capacity/stock hrs pwr...i dont kno much bout rotors, but i'm keen 2 learn more...how hard to put a 12a turbo in a ta22?? what would i have to do with gearbox,drive line..ect..???

either that or the sr20det....anyone kno where i can get info on the conversion on either the sr20det or the 12a turbo??
TA22
Regular

June 2003
Re: ta22 engine conversion.??..help Fri, 07 May 2004 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i heard somewhere that 12a turbos are a direct bolt in TA22s
freakincage_com
Regular

September 2003
Re: ta22 engine conversion.??..help Sat, 08 May 2004 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does anyone else kno about the 12a turbo bein a direct bolt in??
quest
Regular

April 2004
Re: ta22 engine conversion.??..help Sat, 08 May 2004 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wherever a sr20 can fit, so can a ca18det.
If u like the design of the 4ag, ca18 is very similiar... adds bigger displacement oil squirters and crank girdle.
U can make 400whp on stock internals. Money saved, spend on tuning
I'd freshen rod bearings on any 'old' 4 cyl.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ta22 engine conversion.??..help Sun, 09 May 2004 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TA22 wrote on Sat, 08 May 2004 01:37

i heard somewhere that 12a turbos are a direct bolt in TA22s

BAAAAhahaha!! Laughing

Come on dude, you can't possibly believe that?
silver_sleeka74
Regular

July 2002
Re: ta22 engine conversion.??..help Sun, 09 May 2004 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive been thinking of putting a 1G-GTE in my TA22 but ive heard of problems with weight distribution due to the fact that its heavyier than the 2T and this could cause handling probs? Does anyone know someone thats completed this conversion successfully?
if so id like to contact them

thanks
TA22
Regular

June 2003
Re: ta22 engine conversion.??..help Sun, 09 May 2004 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u should have no problems, ive heard 1ggte's are direct bolt in's too
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ta22 engine conversion.??..help Sun, 09 May 2004 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing

Gold.
3T-GTE
Regular

August 2003
Re: ta22 engine conversion.??..help Sun, 09 May 2004 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gotta have a good chuckle "Straight" bolt-in Laughing

Seriously, freakincage_com... you need to start by telling us 2 things...

1. What is your desired rear wheel horsepower?
2. What is your budget?

It would make it much easier to answer your questions, if you could answer these. I'd say if you have never owned a decent fast car before than anything that produced around 200kw at the wheels (around 300kw at the flywheel) would keep you happy, but you may want more than this???

Speaking from experience with a few TA-22/23s I have worked on, something with this much rwkw like this in a well setup TA-22 would be good for around a 12.5 sec quater mile with around a 185km/h trap speed. - Would you be happy with that?

Let us know your answers to this, & we can give you some clearer direction..
Cheers.
silver_sleeka74
Regular

July 2002
Re: ta22 engine conversion.??..help Mon, 10 May 2004 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id be looking for any amount of ???bhp that allows me to wipe the smiles off the faces of all those Very Happy commondore drivers!!!
does anyone know roughly how many kw at the wheels you would need to do this?? also whats a resonable rear wheel horsepower figure for a 1G-GTE in a TA22??
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ta22 engine conversion.??..help Mon, 10 May 2004 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you just want to beat a Commodore, that's not exactly hard to do (and not such a lofty aspiration, but that's another matter). I reckon 200hp at the flywheel would dispatch most garden-variety Commodores, and 300hp will leave just about anything in your wake.

The suggestion of 300kW (approx 400hp) sounds good in theory but in practice it would be dangerous in a TA22. It's scary enough in an MA61 which is a much larger and more stable chassis.
3T-GTE
Regular

August 2003
Re: ta22 engine conversion.??..help Mon, 10 May 2004 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just as Norbie said "that's not exactly hard to do (and not such a lofty aspiration, but that's another matter)" Wink

If you really want to know the stats, a top of the line HSV GTS 5.7 litre 300kw special vehicle, weighs 1710kg & is good for around a 13.3 sec quarter mile (According to HSV) Rolling Eyes
If you had 200kw at the wheels in a TA-22 you would be looking at a 12.5 sec quater mile.
That is almost a second faster! Picture something going at around 180km/h & then travel for 1 second to get an idea of the gap.

So would you be happy with that???
If so 200kw (at the wheels) would be enough to keep a "smile on your dial" Wink
TA22
Regular

June 2003
Re: ta22 engine conversion.??..help Mon, 10 May 2004 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well roughly, my vn is pulling between about 175hp at the wheels so 200 would eat it considering theres 400kgs advantage to the celica
silver_sleeka74
Regular

July 2002
Re: ta22 engine conversion.??..help Mon, 10 May 2004 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just wanna shut my mates up who all own commodores and think they are the **shit**

is 200+ rearkW easily atainable from a 1G-GTE TA22?
if so i can get a manual engine package for $1600
including computer and wiring loom. Is that a rip-off??

7mgtema71
Regular

May 2002
Re: ta22 engine conversion.??..help Mon, 10 May 2004 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If money is no option, why don't you opt for a 151/152e (from memory)as it'll bolt straight in and you'll have lots of fun. If you can afford one. Only god knows what a turbo on the side of these motors will do! If you're thinking of a different manufacturer, and sr20's are ringing bells, i'd seriously consider dropping in a FJ20DET as they are literally bullet proof and are very easy for 600hp, but then again the 3SGTE is also an underrated motor which are also good for an easy 600hp. I'd personally stick to a toyota engine!

If you want brutal power with load of torque, just drop in a 7MGTE (or 2JZGTE). Don't worry about V8's as L6's can also make the power and more. Read in the track talk section about that CHEAP $440 1JZGTE with a second hand T04 running max speed of a salt lake at 204mph. All the V8 drivers freaked out!

My two cents!
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: ta22 engine conversion.??..help Mon, 10 May 2004 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pha, for simplicity - do the 4AGE/TE.

mine is currently in 4AGE spec - the T50 bolts up to the stock crossmember, new tailshaft and 2 custom engine mounts - simple.

if you're keen get a w58 and custom bellhousing and chuck on a turbo - you should be able to carefully massage 130kw out of that!

with power to weight you'll be able to outgun (and definately outhandle) most commodores....

[Updated on: Mon, 10 May 2004 22:55]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ta22 engine conversion.??..help Tue, 11 May 2004 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's all very easy to say "drop in this" or "drop in that", but let's get back to reality. An M series or JZ series engine WILL NOT FIT in a TA22 (not without major surgery anyway), and it won't be street-legal anyway. Even a 1G is a bit of a stretch in that tiny engine bay.

Personally I'd go the 3T-GTE, a conversion which has been done a million times before in TA22's. With a decent turbo and intercooler it will blow away 99% of Commodores, and it will actually fit without having to hack up firewalls etc, plus as a bonus you can even register it legally!
3T-GTE
Regular

August 2003
Re: ta22 engine conversion.??..help Tue, 11 May 2004 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm with Norbie on this one... the 3T-GTE or is probably the best bang for buck conversion you could do in a TA-22.
You could also note the 4A-GTE is well suited to the TA-22 also.

Also, don't forget the word - legal Wink

Yes sure, I was crazy enough to squish a 1JZ in a TA-22, & as a result had a LOT Rolling Eyes of modifications to do, just to get the damn thing to fit.

In the end (after a lot of trial & error) I had a car that ran consistant low 12s, a best 12.071 @ 114mph ...
Produced 237rwkw @ 18psi (1.2 bar) boost... (That's around 335kw at the flywheel)... but even this required all sorts of tweaks, & more $$$$ spent to the 1JZ to get it this good. Wink

But I would NOT recommend this conversion to anyone, who isn't either:
a. Crazy - & really loves the TA-22
b. Got too much $$$ to spend
c. Is looking for a real challenge
d. Wants straight line speed over handling
e. Doesn't care too much about road registration.

So if you are not a crazed reasonably wealthy individual who likes a real difficult challenge with plenty of headaches & going fast in a straight line... Go the 3T-GTE Very Happy

It all comes back to the 2 questions though:

1. What is your desired rear wheel horsepower?
2. What is your budget?

freakincage_com, can you answer these?

[Updated on: Tue, 11 May 2004 01:04]

Ganjasaur
Occasional Poster

April 2003
Re: ta22 engine conversion.??..help Tue, 11 May 2004 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing
i love how engine conversions are soo easy
was once told that if i turned my mounts upsidedown that i could just bolt in a 13b and wham conversion complete

Hahaha

go for a 12a turbo if u want the cheapest and easiest conversion as its running carbs so u wont need to muck around with ecu and wiring etc etc.

Anything with efi will end up costing you buckets (but if u got $$ to spend go with the 1uz)
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ta22 engine conversion.??..help Tue, 11 May 2004 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What planet are you from? 12A turbo is EFI.

As for EFI costing "buckets", I don't know how many EFI conversions you've done but the only extra expense is the installation of an in-tank EFI pump (or surge tank and external pumps) and new fuel hoses. Not a big deal really and certainly not what I'd call "buckets".
YOGI8U
Regular

May 2002

Re: ta22 engine conversion.??..help Tue, 11 May 2004 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
having played with my 22 for some time now, if i had my time all over again i would of just brought a bike and be done with it Very Happy

But seriously you can push the 4a a fair way. hehehehehehehe
and the weight setup is awesome, great all round package with a very neat fit.

p.s. if your after power the drive train and chassis HAVE to be up graded, nothing worst then doors not closing and boot lids getting jambed

[Updated on: Tue, 11 May 2004 03:31]

freakincage_com
Regular

September 2003
Re: ta22 engine conversion.??..help Thu, 13 May 2004 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yer thx for the response, i think i'm just goin to get a 3T-GTE for now...but i heard that adding a 2TG head increases flow because the 2TG haz a better flow design?????anyone herd about this...i kno there is the 2TG/3T hybrid..so would the trubo hybrid b the same...? and is it really worth it??
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: ta22 engine conversion.??..help Thu, 13 May 2004 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm with yogi although my missus won't let me have a bike. Evil or Very Mad

yogi - interesting comment on the 22 and doors/boots not closing. thought as much. can anyone say rollcage? toby...?
freakincage_com
Regular

September 2003
Re: ta22 engine conversion.??..help Sat, 15 May 2004 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ROLLCAGE:D
vin91
Regular

August 2003
Re: ta22 engine conversion.??..help Sun, 16 May 2004 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why Not a 2S-c bolt on a 3S-GE head Straight Bolt in as I Believe it has the same block as a 3S-GE and the Bonus is it has a W5x Gearbox already. Saves mucking around with Gearboxes and other stuff. You may need to change the Pistons and timing belt?

Then Turbo IT.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ta22 engine conversion.??..help Sun, 16 May 2004 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And what will that prove? You'll still have issues with the manifolding, which is most of the reason it's difficult to put a 3S in a RWD engine bay. Using a 2S block won't make anything easier at all, but it will introduce other minor difficulties like pistons hitting valves. This is generally not desirable.
freakincage_com
Regular

September 2003
Re: ta22 engine conversion.??..help Wed, 19 May 2004 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guys a friend of mines cuz crashed her silvia...(rear end damage)she will sell me engine, gearbox and loom,ect for 2000...she said its a sr20 det "freak motor"..anyone heard of this FREAK MOTOR??? and who has done the ta22 sr20det conversion???like has anyone got a webpage on the conversion????
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ta22 engine conversion.??..help Wed, 19 May 2004 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Answers
I haven't, search here and here
TA22
Regular

June 2003
Re: ta22 engine conversion.??..help Wed, 19 May 2004 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
freak motors are just really good engines which have for some reason or another outperformed all others of the same make.
say for example a mates tx3 1.6 was a freak motor. it was stock, and it just went absolutely hard, better than wat theyre meant to. theyre known as freaks..
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ta22 engine conversion.??..help Wed, 19 May 2004 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You don't *SERIOUSLY* believe that Razz
TA22
Regular

June 2003
Re: ta22 engine conversion.??..help Thu, 20 May 2004 13:36 Go to previous message
of course i do. theres many like that. u cant say that all engines will behave the same
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4AG TA22 Engine Mounts
Next Topic:3S-GTE fitted to St162 in QLD would i need a mod plate??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 29 03:45:11 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0072989463806152 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.