Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar. Tue, 27 January 2004 07:08 Go to next message
Who here would like a parts listing and pictures of all the bits needed to complete a St185 group A bumper swap ?

As far as i know i have every piece of the puzzle now Smile

And all of the parts numbers ..
  Send a private message to this user    
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar. Tue, 27 January 2004 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ME! Razz oh wait... I have to have a gt4 do I? oh..

well.. "soon" Very Happy
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar. Tue, 27 January 2004 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hurry up and buy one rob - We all know you want one Wink
spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar. Tue, 27 January 2004 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Here is pics from mine (just putting standard bumper back on for now)....

The difference in FMIC area and weight is huge.

http://www.amberaspley.com/gt4/pics/frontbar

BTW: Thanks to Justen for this support bar. It fits great thanks mate Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 27 January 2004 11:35]

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar. Tue, 27 January 2004 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the mesh inserts and the top mounting bar are needed if you plan to do it correctly .. ( theres one left in canberra spectral - if you need one! and you will ! )

( worth the extra few hundred IMHO cause they are impossible to get second hand. )

otherwise alot of fiddly shit involved lining things up ..

Mesh in particular .. home made stuff doenst look as good as the factory bits .. trusteth me!

now just to figure out the waterspray kit Smile

Main parts so far are

The plastic bumper itself

The main Mounting bar - The one in spectorals pics

The secondary mounting bar ( hard as fuck to get ) this holds the top of the bumper solidly , stops it sagging

Mesh insert for the large mouth

Mesh insert for the top opening ( which i couldnt find available in Vic so i made it )

Brake duct mesh inserts

Indicators carry over ..

Waterspray kit IF you can find one

Only other if that i mgiht encounter are the buits that attach bumper to fenders .. its a plastic bracket thing that so far looks identical..

I can get pics of each item IF wanted + relevant part numbers

Everything bar the one mesh - and the main mounting bar ive bought new - so i have a realistic cost of what it takes to buy , fit and paint ( mines being painted professionally so the metallic blends in )..

[Updated on: Tue, 27 January 2004 11:51]

spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar. Tue, 27 January 2004 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
doesn't the GrpA bumper bolt to the support panel like the standard ST185 one does?

if so, isn't this good enough for support for the top of the bumper?

EDIT: This bar (maroon one) http://www.amberaspley.com/gt4/pics/frontbar/remov ing-old-bar.jpg

Is this different on the Grp A?

[Updated on: Tue, 27 January 2004 12:21]

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar. Tue, 27 January 2004 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
theres a secondary mount you would have found taking the other off - that the centre pillar bolts to - the group A one is different .. Only slightly - but enough for me to fo HMMM ..

it has more bolt holts to attach the plastic cover on, and i believe it aligns the centre carbon fiber thingy a little better also, otherwise it sags ..

you can - i believe use the top mount off the standard and flip it - then redrill the holes and hope it all lines up - but from every report ive read it doent feel as strong OR look as neat as using the proper mount #2 ..

I want my bumper to look PERFECT .. Very fussy about how it will look at jobs end and ill still search the world for the proper factory top mesh insert to replace my bodge effort..

Ill get a pic for you tomorrow of the one involved .. and how it lines up .. though i cant as yet get a pic of them " side by side "

spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar. Tue, 27 January 2004 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
erk... have I put the main mounting bar on upside down? Just looking at the pics, maybe its meant to go the other way (ie. so the bar sits lower)... can anyone advise?

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar. Tue, 27 January 2004 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cant tell - i ahvent got my bumper off yet !

Dreadign that job !

How long did it take you to strip it ?

spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar. Tue, 27 January 2004 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
about a 2 hour job including reinstallation. Not that hard at all.

- Put headlights up. Remove headlights (4 small screws removed on chrome trim)
- Remove plastic trim between radiator support panel and top bumper mount
- Remove parker lights and indicators
- Remove fake carbon fibre trim piece
- Remove all 5 bolts on the top bumper mount
- Remove 1 bolts on both sides of the bumper mount
- Remove screwbolts from underside of bumper attaching the underbody tray
- Remove the 8 (?) plastic clips attaching the bumper to the underside of the main support bar
- At the sides of the bumper pull out (it clips onto the fender, pull straight out from the side)
- Remove the bumper
- Undo the main bumper support bolts and feed them out thru the top (this is why you need to remove headlights).

Installation is the reverse of removal Very Happy (always wanted to say that).

beanzo
Newcomer

May 2003
icon8.gif  Re: Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar. Thu, 29 January 2004 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique i would love the details re the front bar replacement and the part numbers if you have em. that would save heaps of fu@#ing around with toyota dealers. Confused

Would also love to know your total outlay for all the parts you mentioned- break it to me slowly, Shocked

[Updated on: Thu, 29 January 2004 06:02]

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar. Thu, 29 January 2004 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reinforcement #1 52021-20210
Reinforcement #2 52029-20020
Fascia 52119-20929
Grille LH 53104-20030
Grille RH 5 53103-20030
Grille Lower 53102-20030
Grille Center 53101-20450

Pretty sure thats all of them ..

Havent got a part number for the waterspray kit

And cost to purchase all the parts needed + have it installed and painted + have my rear bumper painted at the same time + repaired .. Prepare yourself...

$1300 or there abouts Embarassed

Its not cheap - thats for sure - mind you ive bought all the parts genuine toyota bar for the Reinforcment number 1 which i picked up second hand - and i made the small centre grill myself

You can do it cheaper by making your own mesh sections and by dodgying the reinforcment #2 , by using the one you have , and modifying it to fit - but everyone ive asked and everywhere ive read says it looks cheap if the parts arent genuine.

Im also getting a car resprayer to paint and fit the bumper correctly + get it baked. you just cant paint over the bumper - theres a special plastic primer needed so the paint adheres and remains semi flexible - otherwise it will just peel off

For informations purpose heres the part numbers for the Group A bonnet - If you cant find one second hand

Bonnet Panel (hood) 53301-20400
Guide #1 76182-20020
Guide #2 76191-20900
Retainer 76188-20010
Bulge (scoop insert) 76181-20901
Plate 76192-20010
Cushion 76186-20010
Ornament LH 75033-20020
Ornament RH 75034-20020

Cushion 76183-12030 x 7
Retaining Nut 90179-05081 x 6 For Ornaments
Retaining Nut 90179-05042 x 4 For Guide #2
Hood Scoop Bolt 90164-50033 x 3
Retaining Washer 90183-06009 x 3 For Guide #1
Scoop to hood bolt 90109-06241 x 8
Cushion 90540-06032 x 8 Hood Scoop
Retaining Nut 90179-06007

(parts numbers sourced from alltrac.net)
spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar. Thu, 29 January 2004 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well done stuart. This thread will prove handy for a lot of people.

Could you please do us all a favour and take a pic of that hard to find top reinforcement bar?

Also I note you had a lot of trouble with making your own mesh? What gauge steel did you use? Would it be a lot easier if you used a finer mesh?

I've played with some ricer mesh before and it was quite easy to bend into shape.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar. Thu, 29 January 2004 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much did you pay for the big center piece of mesh classique??? (53101-20450)

Mines a bit flucked!
beanzo
Newcomer

May 2003
Re: Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar. Fri, 30 January 2004 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks classique....

Thats orsm. I'm finding that all toyota dealers differ in the prices quoted. Weird. I'll just shop round i guess till I find the best price.

Have you found a secondhand grp a bonnet? If so was it hard to source?

Anyway, thanks heaps for the part numbers, major help... Very Happy
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar. Fri, 30 January 2004 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pic will be up by tonight of the reo number 2 - youll notice it curves a little more and has a heap more holes in it where the group a bumper mounts up ..

by memory i think i payed 160 ish for the main mesh toobs - most of the parts o got on mates rates - so it may vary if you go thru toyota up there - let me know though i might be able to stretch the friendship with the guy down here..

Re the mesh i made myself - it wasnt the fact of cutting it - i just got some of that 40 dollar mesh with the bad supra pic on it from autobarn - the guage is nearly identical to the genuine stuff - a little smaller by memory ..

My problem was how to attach it ..

Ended up attempting to rivit some 1/2 inch copper saddles over the points - then drilling them out + painting them all satin black.. Looks a bit dodgy - as some of the holes dont 100% line up with the rivits + aralditing the ones that i couldnt rivit - but it was my first effort .. Ill take a pic of that too if you like to show you my dodgyness VS genuine mesh

as per before ill still try to get the genuine one IF i can find it - but theres no great hurry for that
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar. Fri, 30 January 2004 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes i have found a secnd hand bonnet and YES it was bloody hard to find Smile ( its a black one so ill have the fulsic dorifto look till its painted )

Also found a complete Water to Air intercoler setup - both should be arriving from japan any day now ( was told late january - and you cant get much later in january then now )!

The importer who got it is aware that i know of others wanting this sort of setup + group A / RC body panels / parts - so hes trying to get them as soon as they become available.

ive already helped out spectral get his main reo bar ( thanks justen too ) And Anthony (72 ta22) get a new bumper skin + a second hand bumper with the mesh from the same front cut i sourced my bonnet off - so if theres anything i dont need - that i find - ill refer others to them .

now if i can only sell My spare Gt4 parts to help fund the aquisitions !

[Updated on: Fri, 30 January 2004 01:46]

CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar. Fri, 30 January 2004 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm when we did ours we just bolted it on, i didnt know about any of the other crap, it just mounted straight up
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar. Fri, 30 January 2004 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im going by what was said on alltrac.net ..

theres 10fold the guys on there who have done the swap - so i thought their info was pretty credibile -

But as per before - some have used the top re no 2 with no dramas - but some have also then swapped to the proper reo bar - and found it to be alot more solid ..

Ive just been a slave to expensive parts and bought every damn thing i can think of to make the job easier - without the need for modifying anything Smile

Where theres a will , theres a way, when it comes to car mods - if you have the time patience and tooling - by all means go mad and do it - sadly i dont have A: the time - B nor the space to play funs anymore Smile

PS - heres a pic of the reo bar in question in all its boring black glory :

http://home.iprimus.com.au/utahraptor/gt4_pics/reobar2.jpg

cant see much but it is different to the normal one on the st185 .. it seems to be a little curvier , and has more drill holes for starters .. i cant fit the minor details in the picture very well

On a secondary note - my bonnet and intercooler setup arrived today at the importers ( yay Very Happy ) minus the heat exchanger , half the brackets , and piping ( boo Sad ) which i wasnt very happy about Mad ..

Luckily justen came to the rescue yet again and had the heat exchanger and brackets i needed - but i still will need to do the hosing myself ..

Shouldnt be all that hard to fabricate up something but it means im stuck at 15 odd PSI till it goes in

[Updated on: Fri, 30 January 2004 10:21]

spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar. Fri, 30 January 2004 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
at the risk of burning out your digital camera, can we get a photo from front on? Smile

It certainly doesn't look too different. Besides the bolt holes, but thats easily fixed.

I love your no compromise approach thou Smile I'm the reverse of you, I don't have the cash, but I have the time and patience and tooling facilites etc.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar. Fri, 30 January 2004 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trust me - i dont have the cash either but the banks happy to help me there while sucking my body dry of life..

the bumper swap was budgeted in the loan - because it needed respraying anyway - was my first priority of repair .

Ill take a front on now - but alas it really isnt that much different ..

http://home.iprimus.com.au/utahraptor/gt4_pics/reobar3.jpg

though for $70 dollars and a phone call- i was willing to save an afternoons farting about makign the other one fit

Shit pic again - i cant get it in frame very well - noticed the side brackets - the bits that point up - seem a little longer on this one compared to the one on the car ..

Subtle differences here and there

[Updated on: Fri, 30 January 2004 11:28]

spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar. Fri, 30 January 2004 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhh.. that angle helps Smile

I haven't got a pic of my one with the #2 support off... but you can see it in this pic. (attached to the bumper skin)
http://www.amberaspley.com/gt4/pics/frontbar/bits- and-pieces.jpg

Surely it can be modded... (crosses fingers ) Smile
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar. Fri, 30 January 2004 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you want one i know where theres one Smile

Shouldnt be any dearer Wink
spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar. Fri, 30 January 2004 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hahah.. you'll be the death of me (financially) Razz

You'll have a PM shortly Smile
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar. Tue, 03 February 2004 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And heres what it looks like on !!

http://home.iprimus.com.au/utahraptor/gt4_pics/grpAnose1.jpg
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar. Mon, 08 March 2004 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump

* forum moderators - can we make this a sticky thread please - or at least the parts number *
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar. Mon, 08 March 2004 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey what do the "Ornaments" in your part number list referring to??? is it the eyebrows for the headlights???? if not does anyone happen to know where to get replacements?

Ornament LH 75033-20020
Ornament RH 75034-20020
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar. Mon, 08 March 2004 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
those are the numbers for the brake duct mesh - as far as i know

* edit * for the bonnet ? i have no idea !!

[Updated on: Mon, 08 March 2004 05:34]

spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar. Tue, 09 March 2004 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stuart,

do you mind telling us how much the bumper was to paint?

I've got mine now (thanks to Anthony and yourself) and rather than drive around looking uber cool with a black front bar, i've decided to get it painted straight away.

Oh.. and the mesh making starts soon Twisted Evil
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar. Wed, 10 March 2004 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to spray the front bumper - and fit , And repair my rear bumper ans respray it cost me 495 dollars all up

As for mesh making - sudffer the pain and get the genuine ones ! it makes life ALOT easier ..

even if you do try to make the middle ones - buy the outers - you wont make it loko right - without them - they are moulded - not flat pieces of mesh + stronger too ..
net nazi
Regular

Forum Moderator

February 2004
Re: Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar. Wed, 10 March 2004 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Mon, 08 March 2004 12:35

bump

* forum moderators - can we make this a sticky thread please - or at least the parts number *

we currently dont want to clutter sections with too many stickys

however... a faq section is being planned so stay tuned

Hawk
Regular

August 2003
Re: Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar. Tue, 16 March 2004 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had my front bumper on my ST184 cut back and resprayed a couple of months ago and it cost about $250 I think. That included removal/install, and repairing some curb scraping damage. Looks brand new now. I'm getting my Grp A front bumper done next Wednesday - which I'm taking off myself and dropping it in to the shop (I think leaving my car with them might be too tempting for some young idiot in their employ). I forgot to pick up the quote but it should be about $200. A full hood (ST184) will cost about the same. This is south Brisbane so prices may differ depending on where you are.

This weekend I will get to tackle the task of removing my first ever bumper! I've taken some parts off just to see what's involved and it seems(?) straight forward. No doubt there will be some problem that will take an extra few hours and bruising to my forehead ie. banging head against wall in frustration.

Any tips from those with experience are welcome.
BlackGT4
Regular

February 2005
Re: Whats needed for Grp A Gt4 Bar. Fri, 16 September 2005 03:45 Go to previous message
ok i just was able to get the main reinforcement bar (52021-20219), the other one was not available and they said it would take about 6weeks to get. he said the other one acts more like a stiffener. so i will try to install it onto the existing one.
hopefully it turns out ok.

[Updated on: Fri, 16 September 2005 06:30]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:what clutch good for sprinter?
Next Topic:wiring up elec ignition
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Jun 13 01:53:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.019243955612183 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.