Toymods » General Car Talk » ST162 dedicated thread

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 21 January 2005 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djcougar wrote on Fri, 21 January 2005 12:10

i will not be attending that cruise purely for the fact team dream will be attending and i couldnt stand being there with them

who are team dream?

Anyway I have been in Katoomba for the whole week (hence my absence here), but things have not been idle!

Karl, looking great mate *almost* as good as mine will look. I give the "GT-Four" sticker on the grill 10 points Very Happy

Certainly a very impressive conversion there Karl.

My GT-Four front bar has been put on this week and I should have the car back by friday. Hopefully my ST165 front-bar pieces from the UK will arrive by Friday too. The front of the car looks amazing. Better than brand new.

I will be very keen for a cruise.

Anyway, just checkin' in, saying 'hi!' and nice to be back with y'all

http://homepage.mac.com/andrewlincolne/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2005-01-21%2000.46.16%20-0800/Image-9A2E2B8E6B8811D9.jpg
  Send a private message to this user    
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 22 January 2005 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob mate, i can still see your numbers from the drags, just a thought maybe the guys fixing your car probably know away of washing away the numbers off if your getting annoyed with it..
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 22 January 2005 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heehee yeah man I will get them off with some carby clean or something this coming week.

anyway bro, what's the deal with YOUR CAR! MAN so crazy
kenevill
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 23 January 2005 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone have a front lip spare that they can sell? i know rob and karl do but theyre both in sydney (i think).. i would prefer one up sunny coast/ brisbane way. anyway i don't think i've posted here before so my name's dave and i have an ST162 that's getting a new zorst tomorrow. c ya's later
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 23 January 2005 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcome Dave. I'm Karl.

hey Rob..welcome back to civilization you must be breathing a lot better with that mountain air in your lungs now Eye Spin

the car looks great mate. I see he fixed the guard too. Surprised
I still haven't driven my car yet Crying or Very Sad its been sitting there for almost a week now.

I knew you would notice the gt-four badge..... Very Happy

I'm up for a cruise...definitely have to et one up very very soon.

Karl Cool
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 23 January 2005 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mountain air... mmm I feel like a new man! Smile

Yeah, but I gotta pay for the guard fixing, and a fractional chassis straghtening that he said was prior damage... so I will still be up for near $400 for the job

and then I have the bits from the UK too.. so not a cheap job unfortunately.
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 23 January 2005 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Sun, 23 January 2005 22:20

mmm I feel like a new man! Smile

ROB Shocked Confused I never knew you were that way Confused Shocked

what was wrong with to the old one?
just kidding.

you are going to get the panel beater to paint the sides before u put them on I hope. and how was the chassis bent
kenevill
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 23 January 2005 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i know you're karl cos i sent you like 4 pm's haha.... i should prob take some pics but i cbf cos its dead stock and has ugly stock wheels... so until i can afford $2000 for trd suspenion and some nice rims i think i'll let it go
Rabsy86
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 23 January 2005 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bad News... Blow my engine last might Sad
djcougar
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 23 January 2005 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rabsy86 wrote on Sun, 23 January 2005 23:38

Bad News... Blow my engine last might Sad

thats not so much a bad thing
it only means its 3sgte time Very Happy Razz

and rob ive heard bad shit about them, they are low life wankers.
my friend (pulsar die-hard) had a friend with a highly modified puslar, the wank from teamdream calls this guy up asks him what stuff he had done to his car, steals all his ideas and comes out in hot4's
the wanker even fakes that he has a turbo and won an award at the autosalon for a frontmount intercooler that doesnt go anywhere
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 23 January 2005 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Sat, 22 January 2005 11:34

heehee yeah man I will get them off with some carby clean or something this coming week.

anyway bro, what's the deal with YOUR CAR! MAN so crazy

Still in the dark about it, i'll find out hopefully this week sometime as they were on holidays last week, gee, seems like a 3 month holiday more like it.
Rabsy86
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 24 January 2005 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah cant offerd a 3sgte.. Sad... But im gonna get a 3sge engine with a manual gearbox Smile
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 24 January 2005 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey man... so sorry to hear about the engine... far bro... your car was going way good a few nights back.... i wonder what happened... was it overheating?

You've got a quote for the 3sge + Manual gearbox already have you?
Rabsy86
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 24 January 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alliance_22 wrote on Mon, 24 January 2005 16:59

Hey man... so sorry to hear about the engine... far bro... your car was going way good a few nights back.... i wonder what happened... was it overheating?

You've got a quote for the 3sge + Manual gearbox already have you?

nah wasnt overheating... Nah Karl is helpping me out with the motor... I hope i can convert it to manual... Ill keep it den Wink
kenevill
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 24 January 2005 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.boostcruising.com/forums/index.php?show topic=60632

3sge motor and gearbox for sale.... $350
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 24 January 2005 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Theres also a gen2(from mr2),gbox,loom,ECU for sale on these forums for 500bux. Its done 210,000 kms and is a bit "schnicky" going into third. Also needs a few oil seals replaced.Would make a good place to start for a conversion.

Finally got my second amp and sub in today. So i now have a
-2ch Coustic running my blaupunkt 6*9s in MDF shelf
-4 ch Avalanche running kicker 4" splits
MTX 10" sub in sealed box.

Its sounding pretty good but i need to fiddle with all of the settings to get it right.I seem to be washing out the rears heaps, any ideas???I'll get some pics up tomorrow
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 24 January 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is how i tune a new setup (pretty agricultural, but hey Smile ) Best done with your favourite song or a track with good balance of high mid and low ranges. I can recommend 'Up' by Shania Twain as a good starter. Rolling Eyes

1. Turn gain on both channels to 0 on the amp and the EQ to flat.
2. Turn up the volume on the headunit until the speakers running from it begin to distort then back off a tiny bit to allow for dodgy recordings with low volume.
3. Slowly turn up the gain on the speaker channel until a good balance is found with the other speakers. Adjust the high pass filter to suit. Its better to cut out the lower frequencies and let the sub handle them - then you can put more power through the speakers without getting distortion.
4. Slowly turn up the gain on the sub channel till you get a good level of bass - not to loud, not too soft. Adjust the low pass filter and bass boost (if applicable) to suit your taste.

Thats the basic method, then I just fiddle with the equaliser settings to fine tune. Usually I get a nice result from it - check out the sound from my bargain bin setup if u dont believe. Very Happy
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 25 January 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ello,
Would anyone here know if the seating rail of a st162 would fit one on a sw20 mr2. I have a Bride seat coming but the closest he has to a rail was a sw20. just wondering if by any chance someone would know
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 26 January 2005 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Finally got the suspension into the car - its unbelievable! After driving around with no shocks and soft springs for so long it feels like a go-kart in comparison. Can't wait to get the new sway bar in! Evil or Very Mad
kenevill
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 26 January 2005 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice man... what setup do you have? i got the same problem... also i killed my rear swaybar last night drifting in the industrial area cos of one super slippery corner haha.... my car has bout +20 degress of toe out Sad.... funny looking at it now... anyways its undriveable and im getting a new one... any recommendations from anyone? thanks

[Updated on: Wed, 26 January 2005 06:12]

kenevill
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 26 January 2005 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey has anyone use whiteline swaybars here? i have heard good things about them and Ii can get one delivered within 1-3 days for $185... thanks
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 26 January 2005 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey peoples'.....

warrior that swap is SWEET MAN....top job...i did mean in about a month!

http://www.boostcruising.com/readersrides/entry/6/ 6448.html

That a link to my car i'm not sure most of ya's see it before as is and all that.....

So yeah making a fiberglass ram air CAI for the pod filter so the turbo suck in forced cold air, ummmmmm COLD!

anyways seeya's

Nezza Cool
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 26 January 2005 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kenevil-Get whiteline mate,they're the best bang for buck.I think most of us on this forum have one in the rear at least, so yep, get one!

Jonchai-Im not sure about the SW20 rail fitting into a 162.Im looking into this atm, as ive found a nice pair of SW20 seats which i wanna stick in the car.I'll probs have to weld adapter plates up so the 162 rails will fit.I think this might have to be the go with your Bride's as well. Good luck

Oh, another Question, im 99% sure that the SW20 deats are reclineable, can anyone confirm this?

Cheers
SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 28 January 2005 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey alliance, by any chance do you drive around blacktown, sunny holt road a fair bit? i keep seeing a car which looks exactly like yours, white with the same kit. can never get the plate number tho?

79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 28 January 2005 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SOMEBODY BUY MY CAR!!! ITS FOR SALE FOR $3000!!
Rabsy86
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 28 January 2005 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good news guys.. Wink just bought a new engine... Its a jap spec one.. And its getten put in right know Wink... So my car lives.. But guys whats the diffrence between a jap spec engine and a aus spec engine... Wink
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 28 January 2005 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the big difference I think is really the ECU.. be nice if they swap that.

it's more agressively mapped and so, while you have to use 98RON petrol you get a faster car Smile
kenevill
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 28 January 2005 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaha.... HAVE to buy 98 ron petrol oh no Razz aus-spec engines run way better on bp ultimate and optimax (98 ron) fuel i find anyways...
Rabsy86
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 28 January 2005 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OH yeahh thanks robb... Yeah if u didnt know rob.. My engine blow up.. lol its getting a new engine put in right know.. Ill have it in by monday or tuesday.. Wink
RP_st162
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 31 January 2005 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How is everyone, i got a quick question for all the 162 drivers out there. When going down the 1/4 mile or when your dragging ( legally of course Razz) where do u shift? I can rev it all the way past 7 to about 7500! . i gather its not healthy though. The dash is a bit confusing as at 6800 the lines turn red until 7200 ish then it goes completely red. So eyah where to you guys shift to get the best times and so.

oh one more thing about shifting, after redlining second gear, what rev are you doing when in thrid, it seems like mine drops off at about 4800 which i think is out of the powerband!

thanks for listening to my shit
djcougar
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 31 January 2005 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well its not good at all that you are redlining
for 2 reason:
1) stress on engine (its a 15year old car, give it some slack)
2) you begin to loose power on the much higher rpms
Rabsy86
Regular

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 31 January 2005 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can never rev my car to 7200 in 1st.. I cant do it you lose so much power... The highest ive reved it to is 6500 6800 rpm... I hit 65 k's easy Wink but ove dat no way wont do it Smile
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 31 January 2005 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im pretty sure that max power is at 6200, or is it 6800?mm, maybe 7200 as well?Anyway, check your stats and you'll find it.You should be shifting at max power and not max revs as there's plenty of revs after the power band, but are pointless. I usually shift at 6200 if revving the absolute crap outta it. I think the figures are earlier on in this thread.
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 31 January 2005 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Max power for the 1st gen 3SGE is at 6600 (103kw). 2nd gen is at 6800 (121kw), 3rd gen (132kw) and 4th gen (Beams) (147kw) are at 7000rpm.
kenevill
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 31 January 2005 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what model does the 2nd gen 3sge come with? i have an '88 celica and thought that was a 2nd gen 3sge but i dont think they have a 121kw.

stuC - the max power also depends on what kind of breathing you have. a stock exhaust is boggy up top (or so i've found), also extractors would help as the rpm's went up as well as a bigger exhaust.
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 31 January 2005 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 2nd gen came in the SW20 MR2's and the Japanese ST182.
kenevill
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 31 January 2005 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is there any difference between the jap spec and aus spec motors, or is it basically just the ecu that gives it the extra power.
djcougar
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 31 January 2005 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kenevill, you have a 4th generation celica
but your engine is a gen1 3sge
which have a stock 103kw at the flywheel.

the gen2 3sge came from the mr2, which has 112kw at the flywheel.

as yes the difference between the aus spec and jap spec is the ecu as explained above they had 98ron fuel in 88
we didnt
RP_st162
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 31 January 2005 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well thanks for the replies. considering my engine has a few breather mods, pod, cai, extractors, hi flo cat and 2 and a quarter exhaust, the revs after 5 grand are bloody quick, and once it gets going, it cycles through gears like a type R Razz. oh well i guess ill try shifting it around 6.5 to 7 and see how it goes.

well in my experience the jap engine is a better performer. i can telly ou this as i have owned both types. There is at least 5kw in difference as it is noticable in the seat of the pants power meter!
cheers for reading
Edwin 3S-GTE
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 31 January 2005 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry to get off-topic, but my friend just e-mailed me this pic he took of my car. Unfortunately not as sharp as the previous pic, but still worth showing I guess!

http://www.tccn.nl/st162/deel70/DSC05757%20copy.jpg
djcougar
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 31 January 2005 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not off topic at all
such a good repesentation of a 162!
im envy your car edwin!
Toy_Leeka
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 31 January 2005 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, just joined this place and wow, 25 pages of st162 talk??? thats mean... cant get ANYONE over here in NZ to talk about 162's like that....

anyways, il introduce myself...
Im libby, 23 from Hamilton NZ

My cars are:
1986 ST162 3S-GE, used to be auto, been manual now for about 5 months, just blown my 2nd 3s up and its going into the shed for some serious TLC and a rebuilt hybrid motor... aka, thicker head gasket, Motech ECU, fuel system upgrade and a TD04 bolted onto custom manifold... Yes, im nuts, now that we'v established that...

1984 GA61 1G-GE with a serious attitude problem towards being pulled apart, that crank pully aint coming off lol.
Just putting it on the road now after blowing the bottom end on the celica... next summer, getting a rebuilt hybrid 1G-GE with a aftermarket turbo style supercharger bolted to it... again, im totally nuts but we established that before lol.

anyways, im happy now, found some people to gab about 162's with since them and mk2 supras are my first loves lol.
Toy_Leeka
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 31 January 2005 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forgot to add this, this is my 162...

http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~grantsmith/Craig/Monterey%20Park%20Cruise/100_0434.JPG
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 31 January 2005 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Libby, i think i've seen your car in a site somewhere, isn't yours a st162 GT-R as well?
Toy_Leeka
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 31 January 2005 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah it is a gt-r

mighta seen it on 4gcelica.net....

otherwise i think its only been pictured in NZ websites
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 31 January 2005 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you know if there are much difference's from the GT-R to our aussie spec ones? cause i have one as well, and can' tfind alot of differences.
Toy_Leeka
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 31 January 2005 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i havent been able to figure any after talking to a few 162 owners from aussie... just we call them a gtr u dont lol.

engines are the same spec, interiors and all are the same...
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 31 January 2005 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, so the gtr is only for NZ and not japan?
Toy_Leeka
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 31 January 2005 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im not sure... i know everywhere else in the world calls the GT-R a GT-S, japan is the only one im not entirely sure about
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 31 January 2005 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh, yeah its just super difficult to find any info's about them, some are probalby misleading, cause i found that theres a 3sgelc and a 3sgelu, not sure the diff. apparantly ones 103kw and the other is 120kw, could be false info.
Toy_Leeka
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 31 January 2005 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a lot of the time the only difference that we'v managed to figure out is that the different letters on the end stand for different emissions controls... due to most countries having different emissions laws, like the states are quite hard on emissions, NZ has only just started to try and bring in emissions testing now but doesnt apply to older cars like my 2...

ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 31 January 2005 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh, thats probably it, cause i know the aussie 3sge has a EGR unit and the other 3sge don't have EGR's on them. thats about it, oh yeah, a 180km/ph speedo, thats it..
Toy_Leeka
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 31 January 2005 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe, i have a tendancy to annoy most 162 owners in NZ, i found a parts car at a mates place that was a AT160, 4AGE powered celica, same body but no electric windows, central locking and had the SX interior... but anyway, back to the point, it was NZ new (exported strait from factory in japan door to NZ in 1986) and it had a 240kph speedo in it which is now sitting happily in my 162 Very Happy

Also, just as a note, my leeka wasnt a factory facelift in case any pick up that its a facelift but facelifts werent produced in 1986... i changed the front on it last year becuase i prefer the facelift front
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 31 January 2005 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A 4AGE factory Celica???!!!! EEEEKKK

do we have to let the rolla boys know about this??

*shhh*

Wink
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 31 January 2005 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh man, so you got a 240 speedo, i got gibbed with a 180speedo and speed limiter.
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 31 January 2005 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Tue, 01 February 2005 10:46

*shhh*

Wink

does that mean we could put a 4agze in ours?? not that i'm keen on that,
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 31 January 2005 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol, 'cause you spend SO much time driving near 180 right Julian? Razz
Toy_Leeka
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 31 January 2005 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i know, i couldnt believe it myself when i got told about it from my mate (who lives in dargaville), until i saw it... it was indeed a blue top 4age... never knew how it went though cause the engine had a blown bottom end so wasnt thrashable lol
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 31 January 2005 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ST162GT-R wrote on Tue, 01 February 2005 10:49

RobST162 wrote on Tue, 01 February 2005 10:46

*shhh*

Wink

does that mean we could put a 4agze in ours?? not that i'm keen on that,

there is an amazing 4AGTE ST162 in Europe - can't remember the link tho'
Toy_Leeka
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 31 January 2005 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
oh, and just to be a real smart arse, the 240kph speedo has no limiter Very Happy
Pages (63): [ «  <  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: '76 Corona MKII
Next Topic:Old photos
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Jun 7 13:30:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.022212982177734 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.