Toymods » Tech & Conversions » TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Fri, 05 March 2004 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://images5.fotki.com/v54/photos/1/12090/508174/01180005-vi.jpg

Hey look, I found the triplet Smile

*edit* BTW, it is the jack on the right Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 05 March 2004 21:46]

Send a private message to this user    
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Fri, 05 March 2004 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
T APLUS 22 wrote on Fri, 05 March 2004 23:52

SeptemberSquallIndustries wrote on Fri, 05 March 2004 22:27

Quote:

what they are basically selling you is a rt132/xt130 strut!
the sumitomo twin pot caliper is what comes with the strut STOCK!

RT132 front strut
TA22 upper...

This'd give you twin piston 266mm front brakes.
But is the RT132 disc ventilated? =?

I will possibly be using this now, thanks to a fellow toymods user.

I'd be interested to see how this goes as it'd probably be an intermediate improvement well within my means.
peewee
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Sat, 06 March 2004 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, would this be about an equal improvement as the upgrade to RA60 brakes? cos this would be a lot easier
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Sat, 06 March 2004 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think we should start a JACK thread Smile

i have a small problem. i got my discs on and bearings ect done up no issues there re-packed new grease all good goes together sweet.

BUT

the ln130 caliper fouls on the steering arm. yup.
i can go back and get the rt132 steering arms from the wrecker no issues there, but will i suffer the same fate, any ideas?
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Sat, 06 March 2004 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's... interesting... I have no idea about the steering arms, sorry Sad What about mounting your calipers on the opposite sides (as in, running them on the front instead of the back of the strut)?
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Sat, 06 March 2004 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats an interesting idea fook. stay tuned.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Sat, 06 March 2004 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is probably fairly obvious, but make sure your calipers are still the correct way around (bleed valve on top) when you reverse the struts.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Sat, 06 March 2004 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The bleed nipple will be in the same place, cause all you are doing is swapping the complete strut assembly from left to right Smile
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Sat, 06 March 2004 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
am doing this, this morning.

and yes the bleed nipple is up top fook (in the stock location with the caliper at the back yes - it still fouls)

i'll post some piccies when done. i had a good look lastnight and it should cure all my woes.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Sun, 07 March 2004 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no longer fouls. no longer nothing. need shorter caliper to strut bolts though. also the pads seem to be no good for my needs as the low pad indicators rub on the centre of the rotor.

http://www.ta22.com/images/brakes/struts019.jpg

be interesting to see what camber/caster/toe settings i end up with out of this mess!

(and theres that cool jack again)

[Updated on: Fri, 01 April 2005 21:24]

demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Sun, 07 March 2004 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have camber Smile

http://images4.fotki.com/v50/photos/1/12090/417152/12240014-vi.jpg

ps: that's a different jack though Sad
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Sun, 07 March 2004 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i definately got camber no issues there. pic to follow...

um, you're letting the side down with that jack, fook!!! Very Happy
TheGecko
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Sun, 07 March 2004 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grega wrote on Sun, 07 March 2004 11:33

um, you're letting the side down with that jack, fook!!! Very Happy

Hey that looks like my jack.... wait a minute, that IS my jack Smile

When you're done with it Fook, no rush Smile

D.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Sun, 07 March 2004 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Considering I how have 4 trolley jacks in my garage (3 that work, 1 that doesn't) I think I can quite safely return yours Smile But many thanks, it came into much handiness when figuring out my suspension travel and clearances to my disc...

Next time I come round I'll bring it along. I'm still using your jackstands, but if you need them back I'll bring them along too.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Mon, 08 March 2004 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cmon fook super cheap are even having a sale mate, $20 can't go wrong Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

well, one down, one to go.

http://www.ta22.com/images/brakes/struts021.jpg

http://www.ta22.com/images/brakes/struts022.jpg

[Updated on: Fri, 01 April 2005 21:25]

demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Mon, 08 March 2004 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The other two jacks under my car are mine Smile

Looking purtee Smile Mmm, big brakes Smile I like your fancy red swaybar bushes too, I don't have any and can't get any unless I cut my swaybar off (all the bolts and brackets etc are all rusted shut) Sad
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Mon, 08 March 2004 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks very attractive there grega!
peewee
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Mon, 08 March 2004 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes, the ability to brake and not just lock it up.... that would be nice....
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Mon, 08 March 2004 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fook the bushes are all mackay gear. the swaybar is a whiteline 22mm job.

jacob, looks nice, just hope they work well Smile

and yeah, agree the stock brakes, just didn't kind of cut it (at all) - they were horrible.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Mon, 08 March 2004 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok question for all you brake nutters.

if i get one piece of braided line that goes b/w the caliper and the body, but, route it thru the strut leg hole (with a rubber grommet) would this be legal?

or am i better off just running the braided line b/w the body and the strut leg and then having a solid piece b/w the caliper and the strut leg?

anyone?
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Mon, 08 March 2004 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would it work? I can't see why not. Would it be legal? I have no idea, time to give the friendly engineer a call Smile

Besides, why wouldn't you run the solid front section of the pipe? That way you can run shorter braided lines (i think braided lines aren't cheap and even though they do bulge less than normal rubber lines they still DO bulge).
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Tue, 09 March 2004 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WTF 80 posts aren't your brakes finished yet Grega?
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Tue, 09 March 2004 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it will be a million at the rate i'm going Smile hey whats the rush anyway. waiting on caliper kits (again)
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Tue, 09 March 2004 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm, I actually have a spare caliper kit (for the landcruiser calipers - two big pistons and two small) if that'll help you at all...
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Tue, 09 March 2004 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
45.5mm pistons fook dude...
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Tue, 09 March 2004 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grega wrote on Tue, 09 March 2004 16:54

it will be a million at the rate i'm going Smile hey whats the rush anyway. waiting on caliper kits (again)

No rush, just stirring and watching with interest.

Peace.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Tue, 09 March 2004 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grega: Sounds like yours are the Hilux ones (4 same sized pistons?)
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Tue, 09 March 2004 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grega are you sure that you have 45.5mm pistons. Just asking this because I did measure mine today and they were 42.795mm exactly.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Tue, 09 March 2004 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup. 45.5mm exactly measured on the verniers.
and they're all the exact same diameter too FWIW.
they're LN130 hilux calipers (surf diesel turbo) if that helps.

um, anyone know what 15" toyota rims will fit?
ideally i want a set of performance rims, but, my budget is lacking now given my tax BILL i have to pay.

[Updated on: Tue, 09 March 2004 22:12]

demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Tue, 09 March 2004 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cressida 15's would probably fit. They're pretty darn heavy though. I'm running 14's on mine.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Tue, 09 March 2004 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have 14" corona alloys (same as the corolla 13" ones) and they are too small they foul on the caliper thats the only issue Sad

cressida mx73 or previous hay...oh well...will do until i can afford something better...
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Wed, 10 March 2004 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where do they foul? They should clear on the internal diameter unless they are a strange shape on the inside, I guess I could check mine (if I could find them Razz). I've got 3 other sets of 14" rims (1 x hotwires, 2 x jellybeans) and all of mine clear the inside diameter. Both sets of jellybeans don't clear the spokes though, the inside "hat" isn't enough to clear the outside face of the caliper.

Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Wed, 10 March 2004 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeezus that was clear aye
they foul on the face of the caliper
if i ran a spacer on the front of the hub then i would be OK but they're illegal and dangerous so new rims for me.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Wed, 10 March 2004 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check out some datto rims, they tend to have a reasonable sized hat and therefore tend to clear this setup.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Wed, 10 March 2004 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep as we discussed dude will be doing so.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Wed, 10 March 2004 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scored a mx73 cressi rim - fits fine. 15" x 7" (big)

http://www.ta22.com/images/brakes/cress2.jpg

[Updated on: Fri, 01 April 2005 21:26]

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Wed, 10 March 2004 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grega,
I have the 15x6 Soarer rims on my brake combo - same as yours - and with 9 of these puppies all up only two of them lightly foul the caliper front face - so those suckers are on the rear.
Have you needed to space the caliper out over the rotor by using 1mm thick washers/shims on the caliper mounting bolts ?
Cheers,
Mitch.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Wed, 10 March 2004 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mitch, shit i didn't think of that even when the fucking thing was looking me in the face. 1mm washers to even up the pad wear - i know about a 0.5mm spring washer on there but thats it - i was only looking at the pads and indeed they do need centering somewhat.

that will actually pull the caliper back away from the front of the rim and i might get away with it.

stay tuned (further)

otherwise for those who are interested the mx73 gives you heaps of room from the front of the caliper - all good.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Wed, 10 March 2004 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grega,
Those 1mm spacer/washers can do wonderful things ! I just used them to centralise the calipers over the rotor's but they can have other uses - for sure.
Wonder who gets the magic 100 posts on this thread prize ?!
Smile
Cheers,
Mitch.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Wed, 10 March 2004 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup - its the centralising the caliper bit i don't mind the mx73 wheel actually - i reckon it looks ok.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Wed, 10 March 2004 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok i'm not sure if this has been asked or not, but i'm guessing that the hilux caliper is cast ion?
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Wed, 10 March 2004 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
While on the topic, how's my roadmap to a progressive front brake upgrade for TA22? Am I on the right track?

1. RT132 struts, original and complete, shortened 15mm with TA22 springs and TA22 upper plates. Result: complete and working OEM RT132 setup.

2. Replace RT132 discs with machined-down Peugeot vented discs, washer-space caliper to suit. Result: complete and working RT132 with vented discs.

3. Replace caliper with Hilux caliper, adjust spacer/wheel combo to suit. Result: complete and working RT132 with vented discs and four-piston calipers.

Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Wed, 10 March 2004 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes shane its a dirty great big heavy shitter.

if it don't slow you down, rip it off, throw out window with chain attached and it will definately slow you down Smile

ssi : almost :

Quote:

While on the topic, how's my roadmap to a progressive front brake upgrade for TA22? Am I on the right track?

1. RT132 struts, original and complete, shortened 15mm with TA22 springs and TA22 upper plates. Result: complete and working OEM RT132 setup.

2. Replace RT132 discs with machined-down Peugeot vented discs, washer-space caliper to suit. Result: complete and working RT132 with vented discs.

3. Replace caliper with Hilux caliper, adjust spacer/wheel combo to suit. Result: complete and working RT132 with vented discs and four-piston calipers.

1. are you going to shorten the strut housing? if so, then the rt132 strut will not fit and neither will the ta22 one as the gland nut is different that holds the strut in the strut housing for one, and, the actual housing length is 430mm on the rt132 vs the celica which is 400.

2. yep. f272 dba rotors turned down to 266mm (same OD as rt132 and xt130 rotors) just vented and thicker Smile these rotors FWIW are normally made by brembo if you're interested.

3. yes. LN130, LN106 et al calipers. caliper kit from toyota $85 trade part 04479-60020 - 91-96 hilux type calipers 45.5mm piston diameter.

in saying this you may come across the same problem i did with the brake calipers fouling on the steering arms. i swapped my struts from left to right to mount the calipers at the front and avoid them fouling.

also remember a brake master 15/16" (fook enlighten us on the number jb1762 or something, mitsu triton/pajero master) and new brake lines in the engine bay and to the calipers (as the stock ones are too short, but, FWIW the rt132 flexible ones seem to do the trick ok with custom strut to caliper ones)

HTH in your quest. i'll scan my measurements of struts and post it up too - its a pretty fucked pic but you'll get the idea.

[Updated on: Wed, 10 March 2004 09:17]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Wed, 10 March 2004 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Ok Rolling Eyes I'm not sure about this now as I have already added to much heavy stuff to the car Confused
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Wed, 10 March 2004 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.ta22.com/images/brakes/scan0027.jpg

here is my shit diagram
the measurements are from left to right
rt132
100/20/310

ta22
85/25/290

hope this helps someone in their cause.

[Updated on: Fri, 01 April 2005 21:28]

Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Wed, 10 March 2004 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

1. are you going to shorten the strut housing? if so, then the rt132 strut will not fit and neither will the ta22 one as the gland nut is different that holds the strut in the strut housing for one, and, the actual housing length is 430mm on the rt132 vs the celica which is 400.

I thought the corona strut length was an inch or so too long (the 30mm you describe) so you'd need to shorten the strut below the lower spring seat to lower the seat and correct total strut length when using TA22 springs.

But then what insert to use if the Corona one is longer and the TA22 one can't be physically installed. Basically need a Corona pattern insert, higher rate or around 30mm shorter than standard? Any idea on a donor car?
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Wed, 10 March 2004 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SSI i know fook (demuire) shortened his strut by some 40mm and went the coil over setup with ae92? struts...

otherwise not sure what strut you could use in its place. alternatively you could leave the strut alone, run the rt132 strut and get a 15mm shorter TA22 spring...i'm using a king spring (which is already low) and not sure how i'll go on (car is still on stands will know in a week or so's time if it sits too high/low)
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Wed, 10 March 2004 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK just refreshed and saw your diagram.

So the Corona strut positions the spring seat 15mm higher than the TA22 strut. Repositioning the spring seat is required to maintain intended ride height with TA22 spring.

Cut and shut 15mm out of the strut body.

Now the whole strut is 15mm shorter, and the springs are shorter-travel items already. What shorte-stroke/high-rate insert is compatible with the Corona pattern strut? The RT132 item would probably be inadequate.
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Wed, 10 March 2004 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn you keep replying while I'm replying and beating me to it just wait goddamnit! *laughs hard* Okay. Thanks for your help!

So AE92 insert will fit the Corona lower strut? How about the TA22 upper plate? Not sure myself as I've actually never had the struts apart.
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Wed, 10 March 2004 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

otherwise not sure what strut you could use in its place. alternatively you could leave the strut alone, run the rt132 strut and get a 15mm shorter TA22 spring...i'm using a king spring (which is already low) and not sure how i'll go on (car is still on stands will know in a week or so's time if it sits too high/low)

Fair enough. I've already got springs, dunno if I'd be keen to shell out for new springs if I can just select appropriate inserts (which I'll have to replace anyway) and maintain as much bump travel as I can.

demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Wed, 10 March 2004 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For shock dimensions:

http://www.garagedori.com/tech/shocks.php

I'm using RT132 struts shortened 40mm, with 25mm spacers. AE92 shocks which provide much shorter stroke.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Wed, 10 March 2004 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For brake master cylinder options:

http://www.fookstar.com/cgi-bin/mods/apage/apage.c gi?f=randomauto.html&apdir=automotive

I'm using the Pajero unit, JB1762.

Cool1: As much as everyone raves on about how heavy the Hilux calipers are, they actually aren't much heavier than the stock Corona ones. And they probably provide at least 200% better stopping power...
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Wed, 10 March 2004 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
True. Maybe I might just come and have a look at your setup and see how it looks in the flesh Wink
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Wed, 10 March 2004 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sure. As long as I'm home Smile
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Wed, 10 March 2004 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just leave them out the front, I wont take em Rolling Eyes But seriously, is this ok?
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Wed, 10 March 2004 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah sure, I don't see why not...?

Let me know when you want to come and I'm sure we can arrange something.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Wed, 10 March 2004 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats not fair i wanna have a look as well Very Happy
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Wed, 10 March 2004 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://toyotacover.50megs.com/Jarrurumba/42.795mmpiston.jpg

Im stunned! Mine are 42.795mm and that is measured with digital micro-meter. I thought that these all share same sized piston. Rolling Eyes
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Wed, 10 March 2004 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have spoken about the weight of the Corona/Pug/Hilux combo in the past and it cheezes me a little to still hear people *complain* about it.....
So, I got some facts.
I weighted my original RA23 stock std struts complete as soon as they came off my car, and got 19kg on the bathroom scales.
I weighted the complete Pug/RT132/LN106 combo (with new Koni shocks and Lovells springs) just before they got bolted back in, and I got 21kg, a whole 2kg increase. (10.5%).
I know that we are not all budding Colin Chapman's here, but if weight (increase to unsprung weight specifically) is a major concern to you - don't modify your car ! Smile
You can look at getting lighter rims to recover the weight difference if you really are concerned by it.
If anyone can come up with a better braking power increase than this mod, for a cheaper price, please do it now. If anyone can find a lighter 4 pot caliper for cheaper than a hilux unit, that bolts in without any modifications to the mounting bracket, send me a pair !
The weight is relative to the rest of your suspension mods. I'm confident that the Koni's and Lovells are up to a 2kg increase.
Yes, Hilux calipers are heavier than two pots or single sliding units, but they would have to be - look at the performance increase you are getting. Modding is a compromise, and I think that this is a fair trade off in light of the better braking you get as a result. One drive of your car after this mod is done and you will wonder why you ever worried about it, and why you did not do it 10 years ago.
Mitch.
Cheezed at not getting post no. 100 !
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA22 Peugeot/LN/XT130 Brake Conversion - started Wed, 10 March 2004 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Hehe, yes Mitch I remember making up my mind on my brake upgrade after the last time you got cheesed at me making a big deal about how "heavy" it all was Smile
Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:driveshaft hub nut HOW?
Next Topic:KE30. 13b bp? sr20det? 3t-gteu?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Jun 6 17:19:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010785818099976 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.