Toymods » Tech & Conversions » ra23 conversion

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: ra23 conversion Sat, 04 June 2005 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here this what they look like.

http://img222.echo.cx/img222/4967/toyotaclub007b5w c.jpg
http://img222.echo.cx/img222/757/toyotaclub007a6rn .jpg

Not sure on the off set I think its 40 on the front and 45 on rear but I know its pre AU Falcon the rear and Au on the front.
  Send a private message to this user    
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ra23 conversion Sat, 04 June 2005 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hickoz_bro

This conversion kit is available in smooth, slotted, x drilled, slotted/x drilled, and i know 5 and 4 stud patterns are available. You have to swap the passenger side strut to the drivers side and vice versa, so that the caliper sits on the front of the strut rather than the rear so it clears the steering knuckle. Comparison to the peugeot hilux conversion, well it cost more but you get a bigger disc, i really dont even think that you can get the peugeot disc from dba anymore (?) your caliper is made from alloy not steel so its lighter and can disperse heat better, not to mention that the caliper is bigger so you will get a better spread of heat throughout the pad and not to mention that you have a way better selection of performance brake pads available for a falcon 2 piston caliper than you do hilux.
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: ra23 conversion Sat, 04 June 2005 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cost? .. roughly?
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ra23 conversion Sat, 04 June 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you say you used the AU caliper, 2 piston? is that a matter of one piston each side of the rotor? from what you've said it sounds like it'd be a better idea to combine the AU rotors with the hilux cailpers... 'cause they're 4 piston...

you still use the corona strut for the foulcoon conversion?

sounds like it'd be worth a look... rough damage estimate on the wallet?
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ra23 conversion Sat, 04 June 2005 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1300 odd for the kit, the pistons on the falcon caliper are on the same side. The 4 piston hilux job does not have the size caliper that the falcon does so hence it could not do the same job. If you want to know more call Hoppers stopers on
(03)9486950
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ra23 conversion Sat, 04 June 2005 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fattony wrote on Sat, 04 June 2005 19:08

not to mention that you have a way better selection of performance brake pads available for a falcon 2 piston caliper than you do hilux.

Youll be wrong on that one.
The hilux calipers take the same pads as Nissan 300ZX, Mitsu GTO and WRX's.
So there will be lots of pads to choose from.

[edit]
Oh, and apparently Nissan Skyline's too.

[Updated on: Sat, 04 June 2005 16:30]

M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ra23 conversion Sat, 04 June 2005 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra_28...

What is the hub-to-hub width of your diff housing?
Have you had it shortened, or are you using the 1410/1420mm?
benen
Regular

August 2003
Re: ra23 conversion Sat, 04 June 2005 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey, i have an 18r-g ra28 at the moment. It has more guts than my previous magna Razz but i wouldnt exactly call it nice to drive. It's fun but after going in a mate's 1g-gte ra28 and hearing how much he spent on a 2tg-3tg hyrbid to get under 100rwkw i quickly purchased a 1g-gte to drop into my car. They're so much smoother to drive and from what i've read you will spend more turboing an old 4cyl 18rg than u would dropping in a much newer 1g. I love my 18rg but the option was clear to me.

Cheers
Benen
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: ra23 conversion Sat, 04 June 2005 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M.W.P. wrote on Sun, 05 June 2005 02:02

ra_28...

What is the hub-to-hub width of your diff housing?
Have you had it shortened, or are you using the 1410/1420mm?

Not sure it has been shortened but to what width unsure can't remember off the top of my head. Will check it out when I get a chance.
badboybubby
Regular

On Probation

March 2004
Re: ra23 conversion Sun, 05 June 2005 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 2wds are 5 stud
barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: ra23 conversion Sun, 05 June 2005 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
knowing that ford MUST maake a 4 piston version of the caliper, would it be a safe bet then to assume you could just upgrade the caliper at a later date to the 4 piston version, or would all the mounting points change (although i can't see why they would.)
barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: ra23 conversion Sun, 05 June 2005 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh and what about the 18rgeu with a SC14 supercharger attached.
this is the route i am thinking of.
engine...whatever has been decided on the going rate of one of these (i personally would have thought unde 600)
supercharger 250-350
intercooler piping, same costings as 1ggte on this i would think.
fuel pump...again same cost as 1ggte conversion

could use your existing gearbox for a little while, your existing diff for a little while,
still by driving the 18rgeu while you suss out bracketing and belts and other associated ancilliaries.
modifying the throttle body position, (throttle body from the wreckers and cost of integrating it into the system as part of the intercooler piping cost)
the hard thing with this though is working out a suitable belt pully sytem on the cheap, but that's why wreckers exist.
to me it doesn't seem that much different in cost to a 1g. except that the fitment of the engine is a zero fuss affair
ra_28
Regular

April 2004
Re: ra23 conversion Sun, 05 June 2005 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah do it i want to see a supercharged 18rg. I did think of doing this myself but a turbo kit came up before I had chance to do something about it.
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: ra23 conversion Sun, 05 June 2005 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$20 on fattony! with me driving!

i cant believe anyone is comparing a 18rg to a 1g! 2 different kettle of fish!

1g all the way, i used to heavy on the right foot and still got 9.5l 100km plus i had 145rwkw on 11psi

i say stick to the 18rg so there are less 1g celicas around so the current owners get a higher $$ if they ever sell them
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ra23 conversion Sun, 05 June 2005 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe my stock 18R-Geu with pacemakers and K&N filter free-flowing exhaust shitted all over my mates fairly standard GZ20 manual soarer with exhaust/W58 tranny. All the way from 0 to 100 easy. I think it ate him from hi/low speed rolling starts aswell.

power to weight makes a big difference, and the stock soarer 1G only comes on boost around ~4k RPM, the 18Rgeu has torque the whole rev band and just keeps revving off its tits if your intake and exhaust flow well!

if u have a couple of ppl in the 18RG-powered vehicle it makes a big difference, but i was well happy seeing my car+coversion cost less than a stock GZ20 soarer, and had way more pimp factor.

i cant wait to see his face when the 3T-Gte powered car is running, it will eat 1G celicas/soarers with its mighty 8-valve twin-plug technology. Very Happy ..

hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ra23 conversion Sun, 05 June 2005 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
me thinks we need a good ol' fashioned motokhana 'n' drag to settle this score... i would never have though a 18RG could stand up to a 1G... not in a million years... (even if it wasn't a level playing field)

i'm going with the 1G after going for a ride in a mates 1G ra23... that was awesome! and so smooth, just so nice... a real velvet sledge
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ra23 conversion Sun, 05 June 2005 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A lot of big talk in this thread. Rolling Eyes

There's really no point comparing a 1G with an 18R-G. In terms of bang for your buck, the 1G wins hands down - this is well established. You'd only go with an 18R-G if you had a specific reason to do so. In my case, I just like the idea of having a sort-of original powerplant in my Celica. Yes it will cost me a lot more money to get 300hp out of it, but that's a price I'm willing to pay.

Oh yeah, that and I want to spank Witzl's 18R-G. Razz
badboybubby
Regular

On Probation

March 2004
Re: ra23 conversion Sun, 05 June 2005 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

i reckon would be the fact the rear end is different (obviously)

Good work with that "obvious" answer /me shakes head
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ra23 conversion Sun, 05 June 2005 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if ya want something a little different, try going for a 1GZ-FE... that'd show up all the locals!
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: ra23 conversion Mon, 06 June 2005 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how about a 1g-gtze, 450hp it would be mayhem from idle upwards

something different too Wink
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ra23 conversion Mon, 06 June 2005 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm seriously considering supercharging mine... but that'll be a while down the track have to make it brethe a bit better...

and dude... the 1GZ-FE would shit all over a 1G-GTZE....

1GZ-FE = 5L v12!
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ra23 conversion Mon, 06 June 2005 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It would also require the removal of most of the engine bay / or mounting the engine in the back seat/boot area.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: ra23 conversion Mon, 06 June 2005 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hickoz_bro wrote on Mon, 06 June 2005 15:10

i'm seriously considering supercharging mine... but that'll be a while down the track have to make it brethe a bit better...

and dude... the 1GZ-FE would shit all over a 1G-GTZE....

1GZ-FE = 5L v12!

i know its a V12 but its only got about 280hp (net) but it would have a shitload of torque - 478nm

1ggtze on the other hand, 450hp Evil or Very Mad

see for yourself - http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/9975/dataBy Subject/GasolineEngines.html

id put my money on the 1ggtze Wink
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: ra23 conversion Mon, 06 June 2005 22:41 Go to previous message
yeah.... i acctually thought about that as soon as i wrote it... but look at it on a level playing field... compound charge the 1GZ-FE and i think you'd have a recipe for insanity, madness, and maybe even a fast car!

so what if you gotta remove a bit of body work to make it fit Very Happy
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Stubborn Inner tie rod ends
Next Topic:Grab parts off high model AE102 for my AE102
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Sep 28 21:17:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0077049732208252 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.