Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ae86er
Occasional Poster

July 2002

4age Questions Thu, 17 April 2003 09:42 Go to next message
I have a 86kW 4age (ae86), which now has a stuffed crankshaft keyway due to the fan/alternator pulley loosening. A mechanic has told me this cannot be repaired. (Apparently this is a common problem with the first gen 4age due to the 'integrated' bolt/washer design). I have had no luck sourcing a crankshaft from a wreckers, so ive given up on that.

Anyway... I've decided to buy a 100kW 4age and swap the bottom end over and use my head. Then I can use all the RWD bits of my engine and get an 86kW motor but with stronger block etc. I've noticed other people have done this, my question is whether there are any issued involved with doing this?

Other thing, I'll prob buy the motor from SSS in Sydney. Anyone had any experience with them (good/bad).

Cheers,
Grant
  Send a private message to this user    
Bazooka
Regular

April 2003

Re: 4age Questions Thu, 17 April 2003 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The biggest difference is probably that the 100kw 4A has a higher compression ratio. You could use your 86kw pistons to retain the same CR. I personally think SSS are a little pricey, especially for what you intend to do. Pity I had an 86kw bottom end sitting on the workshop floor just 2 days ago. Its already gone.
ae86er
Occasional Poster

July 2002

Re: 4age Questions Thu, 17 April 2003 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if I used my pistons, the gudgeon pins wouldnt fit though would they? or are they the same size?

Cheers

SSS have got them for $750 (i think). I'll grab a cheaper one if i can find it.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: 4age Questions Thu, 17 April 2003 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a big port bottom end that has about 60k on it. its sitting at the workshop. you can have it for $200.
mick
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 4age Questions Thu, 17 April 2003 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would've just gone out & bought another 86kw 4AGE ... from experience, I know that any FWD 4AGE can be bought (less loom, computer what not) for $400 or so. You can then spend $500 to get someone to just install it where your old one used to be.

How do I know? Cuz that's what happened to me engine conversion first time round. Still, I now know that I can cane my engine until it's driven to the grave as long as I have a spare grand or so in me pocket ...

If you do buy a 100kw, you might as well just spend that little bit extra fitting the whole thing. It'd probably be cheaper than using some existing 86kw parts. It'll also pull harder and have better acceleration ...
ae86er
Occasional Poster

July 2002

Re: 4age Questions Thu, 17 April 2003 14:04 Go to previous message
I think the $200 bottom end is the winner. I'll email you kingmick.

Remember that 100kW motor price is with no computer, plus have to modify inlet etc. I've been out on the lookout for cheap 4age's but they go quick. Fitting is no drama, I'm doing all that myself.

All I need now is an engine manual...anyone got one, or know where to get one?

Cheers guys!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Crank Scraper for Toyota 4A-FE / 4A-GE engine
Next Topic:T50 variants
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Jun 11 13:42:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0041079521179199 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.