AuthorTopic
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
really quick one - clutch alignment Tue, 22 April 2003 08:40 Go to next message
Ok, in the latest episode of my clutch changing story,

(standard aus spec AE86)

today i couldn't get another stupid clip thing, because the wreckers just throw them away or something, so hopefully i can get them from toyota pretty soon.

BUT i put the flywheel back on (to torque spec FT with some thread locker even) and started to put the pressure plate/clutch on.

i finger tightened all the pressure plate bolts, and then lined up the clutch plate with a screwdriver by eye against the spigot/pilot bearing.

Is lining it up by eye good enough? i figure my eyes are pretty straight, but i suppose i will fid out when i try to stick the gearbox back on.

if anyone wants to throw me some advice, thanks in advance.

Send a private message to this user    
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: really quick one - clutch alignment Tue, 22 April 2003 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, you can buy spiffy tools, or you can use an old gearbox input shaft ( just cut it off!) but I only ever "use the force", I found that turning the flywheel around and checking where the clutch plate is in relation to the edge of the flywheel/pressure plate was a little than looking down the middle.

Tim.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: really quick one - clutch alignment Tue, 22 April 2003 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i do have a spare t50, but it is in mildura, and it works so i wont be cutting the input shaft off, ive seen a dude do it that way before, definately the best way to go (the shaft only had little bits of first gear left, hence its new job)

ill have a look around the edges, thanks for the tip.

it seems really easy to line it up by the centre, with the pilot bearing and all. (my lining up skills will be proven when i jam it back together)

i think ill continue to use the force.
haggis
Regular

May 2002
Re: really quick one - clutch alignment Tue, 22 April 2003 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use Zen when lining mine up Wink

worked firt time when i changes my last 4A-C.
Fluke ot skill... i'll let you decide...

Craig.
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: really quick one - clutch alignment Wed, 23 April 2003 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cut about 1/2 a foot of you mums best broom and wittle it down to fit in the spiggot bearing hole.

[Updated on: Wed, 23 April 2003 00:15]

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: really quick one - clutch alignment Wed, 23 April 2003 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason wrote on Wed, 23 April 2003 10:15

.... your mum's best broom....

I used an old paint brush.

[Updated on: Wed, 23 April 2003 01:17]

Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: really quick one - clutch alignment Wed, 23 April 2003 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as long as it was your mums best one
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: really quick one - clutch alignment Wed, 23 April 2003 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know of the broom handle trick, and the "liquid nails screw on tip" trick, i don't see how they would work better than lining it up by eye, will find out soon, that frigging clip will get to me soon.
Steve_Reynolds
Regular

May 2002
Re: really quick one - clutch alignment Wed, 23 April 2003 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Head off to your local parts supplier and grab a clutch aligning tool. They also have cheapo ones for each make of car and are made of plastic. About $6 for one. It'll save you heaps of time and effort, and unless you're changing clutches every few months, will probably last you for years.
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: really quick one - clutch alignment Wed, 23 April 2003 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

One more thing before you start (if it aint too late) triple check that the clutch plate slides easily onto the input shaft, I usually take a little off the corners just to be safe. One time, at band camp, I was putting a box back onto a 202 in a torana, took us 5 hours just to get it in, cause the new clutch plate had little burs on the tips and wouldn't go in, after cleaning it up got it in 10 mins.

Tim.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: really quick one - clutch alignment Wed, 23 April 2003 11:50 Go to previous message
i might as well check this, i haven't bolted it down yet (still need the clips) i checked the pilot bearing already, but not the clutch plate. ill do that tomorrow.

i left the gearbox in gear too, so i can wiggle the output shaft to move the input shaft (or i can just turn over the engine)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Celica T50 to Sprinter Bellhousing
Next Topic:Need info ASAP
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 9 02:41:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.14482688903809 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.