Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ILUSZN
Regular

April 2003

New to forums - AE86/4AGE questions Thu, 24 April 2003 07:38 Go to next message
Hey peoples,

Well as it says i am new to these forums. I am hoping to pick up my AE86 next week some time.

I have a few questions though.

What do you guys with AE86's run in regards to wheel size? Any recommendations IE no larger then 16"?
What is involved in a 4AGE conversion?
What is involved in the disk read end conversion and LSD?

Anything i should know about these cars at all or any tips?

Regards
Denis

[Updated on: Thu, 24 April 2003 07:53] by Moderator

Send a private message to this user    
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: New to forums - AE86/4AGE questions Thu, 24 April 2003 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi there & welcome to the forums ...

To answer your questions quickly:

1) Wheelsize - I run 15" x 6.5" which suit the car fine. You can go bigger for looks but I believe it detracts in functionality somewhat. Most JDM AE86's I see tend to run 14" x 7" at least though for that aggressive fat rubber look.

2) 4AGE conversion - lots is involved however it is the same as any other conversion. Check out this link if you haven't already:

http://www.geocities.com/project_post/

Other things to consider are actually getting the parts, fuel system upgrade etc etc

3) LSD - Well ... the first obstacle is getting one - Bill's got one for sale at $2k ATM. Don't even think of trying to adapt the Oz spec drum rear for brake rears + LSD. It'd cost more and be harder than sourcing an AE86 rear disc brake diff.

4) Anything else ... these are 20 year cars so expect what you would from such an old car. Also, parts aren't so easy to find but if you're prepared to put up with all this, it is a rewarding car to own and drive. Check out this thread more:

http://forums.club4ag.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4432

Good luck ... & don't ask any AE86 owner here if they 'drift' Smile

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/magneticrose/Sig2.JPG
LiL_MiC
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New to forums - AE86/4AGE questions Thu, 24 April 2003 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Welcome! Does that mean your gsr has been sold?

I'd say 16's r okay .. they look nice, plus I think the drift king has 16's Wink

But I personally have 15x7's er which came with the car. I had 15x6.5's on my old sprinter.
17's usually look overkill for a sprinter.

Your question's have seemed to be all answered tho Smile
If the Sprinter comes with a 4ac, drive it with that for a lil while if u have a 4age lined up. It might teach u a few things and u'll appreciate the 4age more.

And also the 4age might not be that quick, but it feels quick and is very fun to drive.

O, and I have a non-reclining racing seat for ae86 for sale Smile
Widowmaker
Regular

November 2002
Re: New to forums - AE86/4AGE questions Fri, 25 April 2003 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah drift ... opps i mean D*&^% is a very hush hush word around here when talking about ae86's ... as with any forum there are some weirdo's ans stereotypes.

Anyway for the sprinter i wouldnt go anybigger then 14 inch wheels , you guy 15? what where you thinking Laughing im trying to find some 13x6~7 for mine.

And keep in mind that if you want to build up a nice ae86 with the goods your looking at $10,000 for a minimum and youll have to look far and wide to find parts and have the money when they do show up.

hmm other then that welcome to the ae86 brotherhood , i now knight you a MAN Very Happy
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New to forums - AE86/4AGE questions Fri, 25 April 2003 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And most importantly..........

Don't mention the I word followed by the D!! LMFAO!

There is always someone! Very Happy
LiL_MiC
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New to forums - AE86/4AGE questions Fri, 25 April 2003 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also my friend has seen your car, visiting a friend across the street in a court in rowville? Well I live around the corner sorta, so when I get my car back feel free to drop by.

Even better when you've done a few interesting mods unless it came with them already Smile

I've now got a Sprinter with a few interesting mods and for some reason it feels cool not to say wat it is on the net Wink

I wouldn't worry about asking people if they drift Shocked
Or u could ask "Do you paddock bash, but not in a paddock, but on track [or private roads Wink ] with great precise control, sliding before, thru, after, and into the next corner?" Very Happy
Sprinter
Regular

September 2002
Re: New to forums - AE86/4AGE questions Sat, 26 April 2003 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are lots of resources available on the web. Other than here make sure you go to

www.club4ag.com
www.4agze.com

and links from their sites and forums.

WRT wheels, I run all sizes through to 16x7.5 I can safely say its personal preference Smile. The size I have settled on for all round comfort and performance is 15inch. I have some 14x7's for sale if your interested.

If you have the money I would highly recommend the rear axle Bill has for sale. It is probably the best of the AE86 size axles (larger axles, 6.7 4pinion LSD).

Just my 0.02$
Denis (another one Smile)

P.s: I also wouldn't buy into the drift/Initial D debate. Just understand that everyone has different reasons for their choices and leave it at that.
ILUSZN
Regular

April 2003

Re: New to forums - AE86/4AGE questions Sat, 26 April 2003 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for all the info guys. I might look at a set of 16" wheels just for the look. The car i am looking at has the Toyota cressida 15" wheels on it at the moment. and they are very ugly.

Yes my car has been sold and should be picked up next week some time (poor lancer GSR, will feel wierd going from 180kw @ all 4 to something about 1/10th as fast.)

The LSD does sound like a treat. If i do end up getting this sprinter i might see if my funding allows the LSD purchase.

I also have some EVO III seats lined up for the car. Thank god i know some people haha.

I also have a friend sourcing parts for me now from singapore and japan. Getting Front lip/bumper Side skrits, Rear wing.

plan for the sprinter is to fit a purpose built 4age/gze but with custom manifold running a T28 hi flow etc etc. Realistic power figure should be around the 170kw @ wheels mark.

Also how strong are the gear boxes? Are there any issues running the 4ac gearbox with a 4age? Or is it recommended to get a new gearbox?

I am just doing my research to make sure i am going to do the modifications most cost effective.

Regards
Denis
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New to forums - AE86/4AGE questions Sat, 26 April 2003 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well if you are just playing around with 4A-GE the T-50 should be able to handle it even with cams and what not....

Forget about the GZE + T50 they don't mix!!! Sure you can be gentle with it but what is the fun in that then eh??? Your diff will also be not a happy camper in a short amount of time... correct me if I am wrong but even the one that Bill has for sale
will not withstand the power of a GZE with mods or a 4A-GTE!!

To me it is SCARILAGE to try to use a rearend like bill's with such motors. If I had not gone a bit crazy with the sprinter and stuck with a 20V or nicely modded 16V then I would have snapped up bill's diff already for sure!!!!

Blown86
Regular

July 2002
Re: New to forums - AE86/4AGE questions Sat, 26 April 2003 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The drivetrain won't handle 170 Kw at the wheels too well at all.
Although it does depend on how you drive, if you're into burnouts and don't heal and toe the 'box very well then you'll need much stronger gear.

The gearbox and diff should handle a 4agze at 13 - 14 psi no worries.

Don't worry about these "D" dudes, they've gone to the Dark Side!! Very Happy
ILUSZN
Regular

April 2003

Re: New to forums - AE86/4AGE questions Sun, 27 April 2003 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So what gearbox/diff will handle 150+ kw @ wheels??

what sort of power will Bills diff handle? Is there any way to get stronger parts for these cars?

Regards
Denis
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: New to forums - AE86/4AGE questions Sun, 27 April 2003 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ILUSZN wrote on Sat, 26 April 2003 18:55

poor lancer GSR, will feel wierd going from 180kw @ all 4 to something about 1/10th as fast.)

Hmmm ... I hope you really love Sprinters as a souped up Sprinter in most cases will still never be as good a car as a Lancer GSR with its 4WD capabilities & performance potential ... Confused

Anyway, for a 4AGZE, you will need to run at least a Supra W57 gearbox or something so that it can take the power. I am not sure if the gear ratios are suited to a 4AGZE but its strength would be.

As for the rear diff, I'm not too sure as to whether the Jap spec rear diff can take the power. A Hilux diff adapted to the Sprinter would be ideal then ... this would be the set-up I'd use if I were to go the 4AGZE way - W57 gearbox and Hilux diff.

I will also add that a 4AGZE is a heavy engine and will upset the near 50:50 balance of the car ... you will be fast on straights but your handling will suffer somewhat ... which is perhaps the whole point of owning a Sprinter.

Also, it is recommended that you find some way of strengthening the 20 year old chassis, I have heard many stories of them flexing like a banana under heavy stress ... the fact that when you're cornering hard you can feel the body flexing already.

This strengthening of the chassis idea is then contradictory to what has been put up on the Club4AG forums that the handling of a Sprinter lies in its banana flexibility through the curves.

Hmmmm ... Speedie, I'm sure you'll have the answer to this one for me soon ... ha hah ... Very Happy

FWIW Just watch the Option D1 Grand Prix video that was hosted on someone on these forums ... when Ueo drifts his AE86 sideways, it is bewildering to see from the on-board car cam the passenger door flex enough to actually see a 5cm gap between the door and car mid-drift. Shocked

Provided you plan it properly, you will end up with a good car however the path to attaining this is not often easy.

This probably explains why a 20 valve engine is perhaps a better compromise in terms of both power & handling ... it's not always about power and this explains the AE86's status as an underdog to beating cars with twice the power it has. Cool
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: New to forums - AE86/4AGE questions Sun, 27 April 2003 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ILUSZN wrote on Sat, 26 April 2003 18:55

poor lancer GSR, will feel wierd going from 180kw @ all 4 to something about 1/10th as fast.)

Hmmm ... I hope you really love Sprinters as a souped up Sprinter in most cases will still never be as good a car as a Lancer GSR with its 4WD capabilities & performance potential ... Confused

Anyway, for a 4AGZE, you will need to run at least a Supra W57 gearbox or something so that it can take the power. I am not sure if the gear ratios are suited to a 4AGZE but its strength would be.

As for the rear diff, I'm not too sure as to whether the Jap spec rear diff can take the power. A Hilux diff adapted to the Sprinter would be ideal then ... this would be the set-up I'd use if I were to go the 4AGZE way - W57 gearbox and Hilux diff.

I will also add that a 4AGZE is a heavy engine and will upset the near 50:50 balance of the car ... you will be fast on straights but your handling will suffer somewhat ... which is perhaps the whole point of owning a Sprinter.

Also, it is recommended that you find some way of strengthening the 20 year old chassis, I have heard many stories of them flexing like a banana under heavy stress ... the fact that when you're cornering hard you can feel the body flexing already.

This strengthening of the chassis idea is then contradictory to what has been put up on the Club4AG forums that the handling of a Sprinter lies in its banana flexibility through the curves.

Hmmmm ... Speedie, I'm sure you'll have the answer to this one for me soon ... ha hah ... Very Happy

FWIW Just watch the Option D1 Grand Prix video that was hosted on someone on these forums ... when Ueo drifts his AE86 sideways, it is bewildering to see from the on-board car cam the passenger door flex enough to actually see a 5cm gap between the door and car mid-drift. Shocked

Provided you plan it properly, you will end up with a good car however the path to attaining this is not often easy.

This probably explains why a 20 valve engine is perhaps a better compromise in terms of both power & handling ... it's not always about power and this explains the AE86's status as an underdog to beating cars with twice the power it has. Cool
LiL_MiC
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New to forums - AE86/4AGE questions Sun, 27 April 2003 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bills diff, = a jap ae86 spec T series diff.

I've heard GiantTomato? using this diff in his old soarer which has over 200rwkw?

If anyone wants to slap me, I heard it from Alan Smile
But I don't know where Allan is these days, maybe Gianttomato might see this thread.

Right now I have a W58 in my car, and I can say I'm not liking the wide ratios. However it's also coz I have a 3.9 diff ratio and my rolling diameter of my tyres should be slightly smaller.

Apparently it wasn't bad when it had a 4.3 ratio diff. So it should be alright in a turbo car i guess?

Btw, i posted that link to the d1 grand prix drifting. I'm not the one hosting them files. unless u're talking about someone else..
Sprinter
Regular

September 2002
Re: New to forums - AE86/4AGE questions Mon, 28 April 2003 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SPEEDCORE - FWIW I am running a TRD LSD behind a modified 4AGZE. Seems to go fine for me.

Mic - I believe the factory update LSD's are 2 pinion, TRD are 4 pinion (ie stronger).

Denis - We should compare notes some time as I am roughly half way through the same process you are about to begin (GT28, etc etc). The T50 will die eventually so a W5X series gearbox is the logical replacement. Given your timeframes it will be easier to source a hilux rear end and have it modified to suit.

Dodgy - WRT the T50 behind a ZE, it depends on how you drive it. It flat shifting is your thing it'll die fast. Its not my thing and I've only had one fail in 5 years.

Sorry, these are my rapid ramblings cause I want to go home...

Denis
ILUSZN
Regular

April 2003

Re: New to forums - AE86/4AGE questions Mon, 28 April 2003 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys. This is the sort of feedback that i want.

Well.. I ahve been offered two very nice cars.. One being a sprinter with 4age. But i will need to so Sus and wheels, half cage etc..

The other being a S13 silvia with Bigger turbo, cooler, injectors, fuel pump and 1.8L.

Price difference between the cars is about $2k.

At a cross road right now. Sprinter is the car i would love to own and put it onto a race track in turbo form.

But in the long run will cost me 3 times as much as the silvia and i will be able to get more out of a silvia at less of a cost.

Any opinions. some for and against ones perhaps???

Bit off topic but hey.. LOL

Regards
Denis
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: New to forums - AE86/4AGE questions Mon, 28 April 2003 14:41 Go to previous message
Well ... it appears you already know what you're in for either way which is good ...

Ultimately, if performance is what you want, I'd go with the Silvia. However, if you wanted something different, are prepared to put some $$$ into it and love Sprinters to death, then go the AE86. It'd be a longer term project but I'm sure the results will be worth it.

It's your money - I luv Sprinters to death so guess that's why I stuck with mine. You do have moments when you wish you could pull off 11 sec quarter miles at times however there are other times when you feel glad you don't drive any run-of-the-mill S13. Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Ke55 auto to manual conversion
Next Topic:AFM Questions
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jun 10 22:05:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.088584899902344 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.