Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
neat 20valve
Regular

March 2003
20 valve turbo Thu, 01 May 2003 03:42 Go to next message
Hi all
What are your thoughts on a 4age 20 valve silver top runing a 1.5MM shimmer in the head to lower comp, 10psi boost and all on standard computer. How long will this last? what are your thoughts?
  Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 20 valve turbo Thu, 01 May 2003 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone here good at maths?

20v 4ag+standard computer+standard injectors+10psi=horrendous crunching sounds Evil or Very Mad
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 20 valve turbo Thu, 01 May 2003 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin wrote on Thu, 01 May 2003 15:15

Anyone here good at maths?

20v 4ag+standard computer+standard injectors+10psi=horrendous crunching sounds Evil or Very Mad

Very Happy hehe

Yeah bad idea..... if you want a turbo 20V do it right and with a GZE block!

If this is not possible .... well like Tony SOPRANO would say...

"FO'GEHRABOUIT!"
neat 20valve
Regular

March 2003
Re: 20 valve turbo Thu, 01 May 2003 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hahaha well weah that was my reaction to, but i know of someone who is running it, for about 2 days now so i guess well see what happens, and on the comment about using a gze bottem end what is wrong with a 20v bottom end if only running low boost (15psi) i know sam ran 35psi on a gze, so a 20v should handle 15psi no probs, it is semi forged is it not.
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 20 valve turbo Thu, 01 May 2003 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
15psi is generally not considered low boost. Low boost is more like 6-7psi.
Out of interest a guy from my work has a 20V with low comp forged pistons, in a rolla but set up with the standard 20v induction (to temporarily have it running) in an AE82, which also has a few other goodies in it, with a bunch of spares, & is looking to sell it for around 3 grand.

This is what you need to boost a 20v.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 20 valve turbo Thu, 01 May 2003 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL if low boost is 15psi WTF is high boost! Shocked Smile

On a Pretty damm highly tuned NA motor to start with 15psi (ok i know its got a decomp plate but still!) on the stock ECU sounds like trouble to me!

Cheers
Wilbo
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 20 valve turbo Thu, 01 May 2003 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Covered many times before, so frankly i cant be arsed.

Just build it properly (4AGZE basis) and leave the well made N/A motor to someone who wont destroy it with hairbrain plans.

neat 20valve
Regular

March 2003
Re: 20 valve turbo Thu, 01 May 2003 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok for starters, if i was doing it i world run an after market ecu, and i was refering to 15psi being low boost as aposed to 35psi, i know its not low but it is a farly strong motor and should take it.
also in relation to BigWorm, i would be looking at turboing it over a period of time, so i didnt have a lump sum if u know what i mean, im going to start by making the headers, if they work then i'll go from there, if not i'll start saving.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 20 valve turbo Thu, 01 May 2003 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd say that a 20v would survive, say, 10psi boost from a moderate sized turbo and record a good increase from doing so, but NOT with factory mapping/fuel system!
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 20 valve turbo Thu, 01 May 2003 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, I just reckon that turboing a 20v without a properly setup system could end up costing more than the average lump sum. Better to take your time & do it half decently & never have to find out how much it might cost if things go BANG.
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 20 valve turbo Thu, 01 May 2003 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
neat 20valve wrote on Thu, 01 May 2003 19:28

Ok for starters, if i was doing it i world run an after market ecu, and i was refering to 15psi being low boost as aposed to 35psi, i know its not low but it is a farly strong motor and should take it.
also in relation to BigWorm, i would be looking at turboing it over a period of time, so i didnt have a lump sum if u know what i mean, im going to start by making the headers, if they work then i'll go from there, if not i'll start saving.

Dude this is just my opinion ok so don't take offence, if you are on the build of a turbo 20V "over a period of time" why waste time and more importantly money building a package that in my eyes is still a TIMEBOMB even with aftermarket management??

I still think that the bottom end of a 20V is not strong enough for PROLONGED forced induction at the mentioned 10psi!!

Can anyone prove me other wise??

Man do things right the first time round!! GZE bottom end!

I don't wanna hear you say the old classic
"Money is not an issue!" If moeny isn't an issue go get yourself a Stutgart Special!

B-side ya!

SPEEDCORE!
neat 20valve
Regular

March 2003
Re: 20 valve turbo Thu, 01 May 2003 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for all your help guys, i would build it proply, but like i said, over a period of time, meaning, buying things here and there and putting it all in at once, i think bigwork miss understood me there. if u all say a 20v bottom end will not hold up to it than i will have to be sure it will, other wise it will be a gze bottom end and box with 20v head.
once again thanks to all of ya for help,

Craig.
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 20 valve turbo Thu, 01 May 2003 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
O.K, bearing in mind that I'm a layman at this, (particularly turbos etc Razz ), how about the following combo...

GZE Block and crank.
GZE Con-rods
20V pistons
20V head with spacer (for, say, an 8.5-9.0 static compression ratio)
ITBs
*insert appropriately large single turbo here* Very Happy
Autronic ECU (some bias showing thru here!)
Oh, and a W58 box...(Providing it is "strong" enough - You know what I mean! Laughing )

Would that "make" a decent 20V turbo, or have I missed something? (FMIC, perhaps?)

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 20 valve turbo Fri, 02 May 2003 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would you be able to get away with using just the whole GZE block and pistons (being ceramic coated and forged), or will it have issues with clearance.
Personally, I'm of the belief you can get a lot done even with higher compression providing your tuning is good and you have the right support systems. There is a Honda S2000 here in Perth with Lancer Evo 5 intercooler and TD06 turbo, its making a whack of power and is reliable as because its tuned well, something to think about.
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 20 valve turbo Fri, 02 May 2003 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there wouldnt be a problem with clearance cause the gze pistons are dished,

biased99: ya wouldnt use the pistons from a 20v cause ya compression ratio would be to high and plus they aren`t as strong as the gze no ceramic coating etc!

with all the stuffing around with the 20v head wouldnt it be more feasable in just using the bigport 86kw head? if set up correctly is capable of 200rwkw if that aint enuff simple just build a 3sgte!
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
icon10.gif  Re: 20 valve turbo Fri, 02 May 2003 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.toyspeed.org.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6 088

Turbo 20v in the build with pictures for those interested, using GZE internals.

Callum
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 20 valve turbo Fri, 02 May 2003 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Errr...won't there be issues with the valve-cutouts using a GZE piston with 20-valve head?
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 20 valve turbo Fri, 02 May 2003 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not as far as i know cause they are dished ill try find a picture to show ya
-blown20v-
Regular

January 2003
Re: 20 valve turbo Thu, 21 August 2003 11:05 Go to previous message
hey..
well its time time to add my two cents worth..
anyone who knows the purple crolla "DROOLN" knows the car... and if u dont well u dont.. anyways.. i am very good friends with the guy who built that engine.. its a blacktop 20v turbo.. now its runnin... 6psi(i think or maybe 10) but anyways its got completely stock... yes read COMPLETELY STOCK!!! well anyways.. yea/... it also only has a microtech digi1 Rolling Eyes .. front mount three inch exhaust and a custom intake manifold thingy:P anyways.. that thing makes over 200 hp at the wheels easy and has ran a mid 13 quarter mile on street tires whilst wheelspinning through completely through 1st 2nd and 3rd gears... and yea.. oh and over the 3 years that he has had the engine in the car only 1 thing has gone bang.... and wait for it ... wait for it.. who can guess wat it was??? the turbo blew.. bet you's didnt expect thatt answer hey.. Very Happy
well anyways.. all you ppl who doubt 20v turbos.. here's somthing to think about Smile Smile anyways catch yas all later...
chris
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:288 Degree Cams for 4AGE
Next Topic:Whiteline or Koni
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jun 3 13:02:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0043590068817139 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.