Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
AuthorTopic
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
w58 strength Tue, 29 April 2003 12:14 Go to next message
How much flat changing will a w58 handle behind a 302? Only on the odd occasion...like a run at willowbank raceway...would it hold together?
  Send a private message to this user  
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: w58 strength Tue, 29 April 2003 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugman, classic dude!
OK, jokes aside, I have a friend with a 302Windosr and W58 in a Ford Capri, which is used for alot of organised motorsport. He states a figure of 400hp from the new motor, which I don't doubt is far off given it's build and componetry. He has not had any problems with his driveline aside from blowing the standard V6 diffs (can anyone say "the weakest link"). This will soon be rectified with a Borg Warner 28 spline diff he got from me.
If you really want to beat up on it, go the Toploader route and 9", as I have seen you propose in other threads. Advantageous to this route is the fact you will not need a custom bellhousing, and you can still source new parts for both units. I have three spare toploaders, and two 9"s at the moment, however freight to Brisbane would be the killer!
If you want to stay IRS, go for a Commodore Borg Warner unit, but be careful - there are several different types, and the only way to tell externally is to read the ratio numbers on their ID tag - they differ marginally between series.
Now, you sure I can't interest you in a MoFo sized bottle of NOS sitting in the back seat, or under the front one???!!! Shocked Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
DannyGT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member

May 2002

Re: w58 strength Wed, 30 April 2003 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guys

after an decrease in the standards of behaviour in these forums we are toughening our stance on personal attacks and ridicule

please refrain from posting such comments

if you do not think a question is worth responding to then do not post a reply - under no circumstances will ridicule or other imflammatory comments be tolerated

if you have problems with a person or thread then please report it to a moderator or email board@toymods.org.au

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: w58 strength Wed, 30 April 2003 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks like Robbo can't get a clean answer from ANYONE can he!

Anyways, my suggestion would be to go with the W58, for a mild to moderate 302 it should probably be fine. If that breaks, and you feel suitably cashed up, slap a Tremec behind it - just don't go using a BW T5...
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: w58 strength Wed, 30 April 2003 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks mrshin and clint.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: w58 strength Thu, 01 May 2003 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What I don't get is why the hell you'd want to be flat shifting it. Its not going to be the be all and end all in drag times, its going to make SFA.
Your car as you claim is a street car and not a drag car, why risk breaking something by being stupid when its not going to reflect much on your timeslips just more on your wallet.
E30-323ti
Regular

June 2002
Re: w58 strength Thu, 01 May 2003 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
more a case of "how much flat shifting the 302 can take" before it bends a pushrod!!!

If you've got you heart set on flat shifting get a flat shift kit!!
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: w58 strength Thu, 01 May 2003 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just out of interest, how many people here have ever even DRIVEN anything with a 302 in it?? Shocked
1G-GE KE35
Occasional Poster

July 2002
Re: w58 strength Thu, 01 May 2003 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can't say I've ever driven anything with one in it, but I have seen a few in museums and scrap yards.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: w58 strength Thu, 01 May 2003 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*takes out notebook, starts taking tally of those who speak from trying something, and 'others'* Very Happy
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: w58 strength Thu, 01 May 2003 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, 253s (owned 2), 302s, 308s, 351s...Driven all of 'em at various times.

When I was 17-18 (and it was a while ago! Shocked ) these kind of engines were "all the rage". Jap cars were considered "buzz-boxes" which, to be fair, they were back then. (At least the ones we got here in Australia, anyway!)

How times change!!! As a young bloke I was "Holden this and Holden that..." Embarassed Now look at me; 2 modified Toyotas in the garage and, apart from some "conversion-related" teething issues Mad I wouldn't consider going back to an Australian car...They just seem inferior, now that I'm familiar with what is available. Smile
E30-323ti
Regular

June 2002
Re: w58 strength Thu, 01 May 2003 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've driven and old Falcon 500 station wagon and a vs SS Commowhore. The holden was much better given its age in all.

They did't like to rev much, nor did they want rev!!
Anything over 4000rpm felt like I was going to break something.

Mind you I'm biased after owning a few revvy 4's and now a 1JZ.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: w58 strength Fri, 02 May 2003 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep - helped a mate work a 302 windsor, and dropped it in a beautiful 71 capri. not exactly a 'to the shops' car. it either overheated or stalled at the lights, take your pick which came first. but awesome to feel the thing come on song Very Happy

cheers
ed
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: w58 strength Fri, 02 May 2003 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, I'll quite happily admit to driving many a 302 V8, some as daily drivers, some as tow vehicles, some in autokhana/motorkhana events. No they don't rev to 7500rpm, but nor do they have to to produce useable power and more importantly torque. My ute quite happily cruises on 100Km/h at around 2500rpm, while carrying and towing around 2.5-3 tonnes, and will do it all day, every day without getting hot, or stalling at lights. I'd suggest these factors are more a problem of build, tune and accessories than motor (ie, head gaskets differ by one small hole end to end and are often put on backwards by those who are not aware of the difference)?!
An easy way to determine if the radiator will support such a motor, after the usual cleaning and cooling tricks is to change the coolants used, they all have different thermal carrying characteristics. Water in itself, or with recommended inhibitor is a pretty poor conductor thermal wise, try a straight inhibitor/anti freeze/boil, or use a name brand such as "Redline Water Wetter". The latter I have found to be excellent, when used in rally and race car motors. I've had no need to use this in any of my street V8's, or turboed 4Cylinders either, so food for thought.
Will also admit that an old 1970'2 style Falcon 500 won't perform as a VS SS Commodore either, they're two completely different eras with the Falcon really showing it's age, but again that relates to design features of the time.
So, what would I prefer to drive? The answer is: The best car for the purpose! Not willing to dismiss one from the other, rather appreciate something different, something well maintained, and something I've not thought of doing nor have the incling too. Who really cares what car makers badge adorns the bonnet or the block, look past it, you may even learn something every now and again!?! Smile
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: w58 strength Fri, 02 May 2003 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well done clint!! Ed, i think if you actually built the 302 properly, and did everything the way it is supposed to be done, the thing wouldnt overheat..perhaps you did put the gaskets on wrong? Easy mistake for a minor Rolling Eyes ...Perhaps you didnt run them in on water to begin with then add coolant after 10k? Shocked Did you torque the bolts to the correct value in the correct sequence?? Confused in future read a manual before building an engine...a bit of advice for when you're doing your 7mge! A lot more can go wrong in those hi-tech pieces of machinery! Here ill even give you a name and author of a small block ford rebuilder's guide... "HOW TO REBUILD SMALL-BLOCK FORD ENGINES, by TOM MONROE"

HAPPY READING !!! Very Happy

[Updated on: Fri, 02 May 2003 11:48]

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: w58 strength Fri, 02 May 2003 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
youre not even worth the fucking effort

[Updated on: Fri, 02 May 2003 15:10]

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: w58 strength Fri, 02 May 2003 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
youre not even worth the fucking effort

[Updated on: Fri, 02 May 2003 15:10]

ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: w58 strength Sat, 03 May 2003 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aww now now dont be like that...im just offering some advice... Smile It might save you a lot of money while you're building the 7mge.

[Updated on: Sat, 03 May 2003 02:35]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: w58 strength Sat, 03 May 2003 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope, you're just shit stirring Twisted Evil
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: w58 strength Sat, 03 May 2003 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why would anyone listen to a 19 year old when it comes to building a V8? http://www.kirupa.com/forums/smileys_files/silly.gif
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: w58 strength Sat, 03 May 2003 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
who says im 19?
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: w58 strength Sat, 03 May 2003 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
obviously not your maturity level.
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: w58 strength Sat, 03 May 2003 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you're one to talk...but hey didnt danny say not to get personal?
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: w58 strength Sat, 03 May 2003 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sigh
Pete
Regular

May 2002

Re: w58 strength Sat, 03 May 2003 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I pulled a W58 down a couple of weeks ago and i really think you will be asking a lot from it if you run it behind a V8 and drive it hard. I think second gear will be the weak link.

I know Dellow make belhousings to suit but keep in mind that they also make belhousings to suit celica 5 speeds.
DannyGT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member

May 2002

Re: w58 strength Tue, 06 May 2003 05:06 Go to previous message
robbo you just ruined your own thread and got it locked all on your own.

well done.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
Previous Topic:Engine transplant for an MX83 Cressida
Next Topic:Oil filter relocating kit
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Jun 6 07:44:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.1074800491333 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.