Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon5.gif  Space Saver Wheel Mon, 12 May 2003 09:52 Go to next message
I've been thinking, I heard about somebody binning their S13 Silvia over here into a wall.

My XX currently has no spare wheel, and I'm trying to keep its weight down, so I don't really want a full sized spare.

How much you reckon one of these is worth?
  Send a private message to this user    
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Space Saver Wheel Mon, 12 May 2003 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just get tyre foam, so you only need the can in your car and is fine for repairing tyres with puntures just to get home, although pointless in a blow out,

some Merc's come with it instead of a spare tyre or space saver so it must be legal to have it in your car and not have a spair.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Space Saver Wheel Mon, 12 May 2003 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, considering the XX came with a spare wheel from the factory, I don't reckon that I'd get away with not having a spare at all, thats why my idea of the space saver from a Silvia would fit in. Going to buy it for $40.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Space Saver Wheel Mon, 12 May 2003 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just remember that if you do get a flat and use the can of foam, a tire place will charge you about $500 to fix! That foam shit sticks to the rim and makes a fuckin mess.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Space Saver Wheel Mon, 12 May 2003 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, you guys are making my decision to use the space saver seem better and better Razz
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Space Saver Wheel Mon, 12 May 2003 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Mon, 12 May 2003 20:58

Thanks, you guys are making my decision to use the space saver seem better and better Razz

Laughing Laughing
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Space Saver Wheel Mon, 12 May 2003 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate why dont you try and get the narrowest steel wheel possible and get a real narrow tire fitted! Or even a wheelbarrow tire Confused
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Space Saver Wheel Mon, 12 May 2003 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cos a decent sized wheel barrow wheel in 4x114.3 PCD isn't as easy to find Razz Whereas a space saver wheel from a binned Silvia is a piece of cake Laughing
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Space Saver Wheel Mon, 12 May 2003 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I didnt mean the whole wheel barrow wheel, I just meant the tire!
Also just to note, some space savers have a solid rubber "tire".
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Space Saver Wheel Mon, 12 May 2003 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll check it out when i get it, should be all good.
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Space Saver Wheel Mon, 12 May 2003 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry to point out the obvious but the rolling diameter needs toi be the same right ?

How are u gonna find a tyre to fit a wheel arrow wheel with a big enough profile ?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Space Saver Wheel Mon, 12 May 2003 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forget the damm wheel barrow wheel! I was just talking about the tire Confused Those things come in some really big sizes!
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Space Saver Wheel Mon, 12 May 2003 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Really big sizes ???

Dude the wheels are tiny.....its usually the tyres that come huge
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Space Saver Wheel Mon, 12 May 2003 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go down to your local tractor shop, you'll see what I mean by really big sizes Smile
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Space Saver Wheel Mon, 12 May 2003 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mani, read Shane's posts properly dude... He was talking about the tyre all along dude...
suprav8
Regular

May 2002
Re: Space Saver Wheel Mon, 12 May 2003 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Space saver wheels are crap.....there`s no way i`d want to be driving my car with 1 on.....Don`t you have any respect for your vehicle franky??...How much weight are you going to be saving anyway??....FARK ALL!!!!!!!.........your sounding as bad as nark(weight issues) Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Space Saver Wheel Mon, 12 May 2003 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not going to save a huge amount, its not the whole reason I'm doing it, by that token I wouldn't have power steering or AC either!

Theres nothing wrong with a space saver wheel if you are using them for the purpose they were designed for, theres no other reason that pretty much all new cars come with one.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Space Saver Wheel Mon, 12 May 2003 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ummm, whats wrong with a space saver? Its only going to get used if you get a flat and then you will/should be driving as slow as possible! Its not like someone would put them on and drive around town Rolling Eyes
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Space Saver Wheel Mon, 12 May 2003 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thankyou Cool1, my point exactly.
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Space Saver Wheel Mon, 12 May 2003 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolla Boy wrote on Mon, 12 May 2003 21:52

Mani, read Shane's posts properly dude... He was talking about the tyre all along dude...

He edited it
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Space Saver Wheel Mon, 12 May 2003 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
manipulate wrote on Mon, 12 May 2003 21:58

Rolla Boy wrote on Mon, 12 May 2003 21:52

He edited it

Huh? Confused
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Space Saver Wheel Mon, 12 May 2003 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
U netcoder
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Space Saver Wheel Mon, 12 May 2003 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
/me scratches his head Rolling Eyes
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Space Saver Wheel Mon, 12 May 2003 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heh

"is he being serious"
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Space Saver Wheel Mon, 12 May 2003 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
manipulate wrote on Mon, 12 May 2003 22:05

Heh

"is he being serious"

I think I should get some sleep Sad
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Space Saver Wheel Mon, 12 May 2003 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah just lick the frog again.....youl;l be up again for another few hours
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Space Saver Wheel Mon, 12 May 2003 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahhhh the frog. Froggy loves me http://www.kirupa.com/forums/smileys_files/facelick.gif

Welp this thread has turned to shit Laughing
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Space Saver Wheel Mon, 12 May 2003 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
At least I got a valid comments out of it, thanks guys Razz
rdraginrolla
Regular

July 2002
Re: Space Saver Wheel Tue, 13 May 2003 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another point is that a normal sized spare, sitting in the tyre well of your boot, increases rear impact safety.

If your hit from behind, a full sized spare can help absorb the impact, whereas if there is a "can" or "space saver" i can't imagine them doing much.

Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Space Saver Wheel Tue, 13 May 2003 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can't imagine the spare having anything to do with impact absorption in any case. Wheels by their structural nature are not given to controlled crumpling.
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Space Saver Wheel Tue, 13 May 2003 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually Youngy, I was reading about it in a magazine today... The spare wheel hepls to minimize damage in a rear ender accident... But now there are new tyres that are being made and are already on some BMW's, Lexus and on the new Mini Cooper S that have tougher sidewalls and some are even solid rubber Shocked Shocked Shocked ... (I hear 1/2 hour non stop burnouts...) This means that you can drive home or to the nearest garage on the flat witout doing damage to the rim...

The manufacturers that are releasing cars with foam in a can or these new tyres have to make up for the lost support in the rear in case of an accident... They have to make the cars stronger in the rear end where the spare wheel was...

I take it this is the reason why removing a spare wheel is illegal...

[Updated on: Tue, 13 May 2003 07:50]

Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Space Saver Wheel Tue, 13 May 2003 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well that is interesting, I still don't buy yet. Have you seen cars that are converted to gas and they use the space the spare wheel once used for the gas cylinders etc?

The spare is then moved to another location, I guess that they must rely on the gas cylinders impact absorption qualities..... Confused
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Space Saver Wheel Tue, 13 May 2003 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well that is interesting, I still don't buy yet. Have you seen cars that are converted to gas and they use the space the spare wheel once used for the gas cylinders etc?

The spare is then moved to another location, I guess that they must rely on the gas cylinders impact absorption qualities..... Confused
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Space Saver Wheel Tue, 13 May 2003 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you get hit hard enough in the arse to have your spare have an effect, then your crumpling is going to be the least of your worries.
the cracked vertebrae and compacion of the rest of the car will be much more pressing issues.

besides, that's what my tow-bar is for... discouraging rear-end collisions Smile

so frank.. silvia rims are same offset and stud pattern, or just stud pattern?
I'm assuming the offset is wildly different, otherwise all us supra owners would have easy to come by silvia mags on our cars Smile
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Space Saver Wheel Tue, 13 May 2003 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the offset on space savers is 0!
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Space Saver Wheel Tue, 13 May 2003 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rdraginrolla wrote on Tue, 13 May 2003 11:53

Another point is that a normal sized spare, sitting in the tyre well of your boot, increases rear impact safety.

If your hit from behind, a full sized spare can help absorb the impact, whereas if there is a "can" or "space saver" i can't imagine them doing much.

Maybe he can hang some off his rear bumper like a barge lol
TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: Space Saver Wheel Tue, 13 May 2003 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One thing to watch with the space saver is to make sure that it is flat on the inside edge. You don't want the rim to foul on your calipars.

I'm also looking into one for the wagon. Need to save some space so i can fit the cd stacker with ppl knowing it is there

Also without pointing fingers can people PLEASE stop filling these forums with crap. This one is chock a block with it just decent comments please.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Space Saver Wheel Tue, 13 May 2003 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TheStitt wrote on Wed, 14 May 2003 08:09

Also without pointing fingers can people PLEASE stop filling these forums with crap. This one is chock a block with it just decent comments please.

Why? There has been no insults and the orignal thread starter isn't complaining Confused
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Space Saver Wheel Wed, 14 May 2003 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silvia rims are the same PCD as the Supra rims, but they are a bigger offset. I think thats what the rims on my car atm. The problem is once you get towards 7"+ they are sitting really far in and right up against the strut. Also, it looks funny on the Supra because of the flares.

I figured that the Silvia Space saver should be fine, considering they have the same size factory tyre as what I do, and the SR20DET versions have 280mm discs, so I hopefully wouldn't have a problem if I get stuck.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Space Saver Wheel Wed, 14 May 2003 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow, didn't realise there had been 38 replies to this thread!

I bought it, its not really any lighter than the spare in the Celica (14x5.5" celica alloy with 195/60R14 tyre). It is exactly the same diamater as the other one so thats good.

I test fitted it to my Celica wheel well, and unlike the Celica wheel, it actually fits flush or just below the sides. That way I can mount an amp or something under the false floor in the XX no probs.

Anyways, thats all, thought I'd just relay it to those that helped me.
Tank
Regular

June 2002

Re: Space Saver Wheel Thu, 15 May 2003 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is this one of those yellow looking thin space saver wheels?

Because if it is there was this TV show (not sure which one) but yeah they went on about how they are unsafe and you can only travel 80 km on it and that only at 80 km/p.

Also it is illegal to put these tires on the front (the obvious reasons). So if one of the fronts go you are up for twice as much work.

Later
Ross
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Space Saver Wheel Thu, 15 May 2003 07:42 Go to previous message
Yeah, I know, but thats all they're designed for. All I want is something as a just in case.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Congrats to Max & Kristy!!!!
Next Topic:RA28 Console top wanted
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 2 04:02:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0072469711303711 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.