Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Where to get polishing attachments Mon, 09 June 2003 11:14 Go to next message
I have a few things(mags, cam cover, etc etc) here that I want to polish up but I dont have any attachments Sad So where do I get them? I guess I would just be wanting to use them in a power drill Confused

Any help?
  Send a private message to this user    
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Where to get polishing attachments Tue, 10 June 2003 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When you find one either get me one as well (and i'll fix you up) or let me know where you got yours from! Very Happy

Where abouts in brissy are you? I wouldn't mind a "polishing" day or something one day.

Cheers
Wilbo
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Where to get polishing attachments Tue, 10 June 2003 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, stick it up what it is called when you get one, and I will take myself on a little shopping trip...
earlyrolla
Regular

May 2003
Re: Where to get polishing attachments Tue, 10 June 2003 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can buy polishing gear from any big hardware (eg Bunnings) or tool shops (eg Toolmart). The best option is to find somewhere cheap and go back and price match it at Bunnings to get it cheaper again (not that I would do that Very Happy )

It is best to have a large bench grinder to use with the polishing attacments (around $250) as the smaller ones will labour too much. You will need at least two wheels as there are two basic compounds that you can buy for polishing (course and fine) and you dont want to use the same pad for both for obvious reasons. Expect the compounds and pads to set you back around $150 to $200.

Total cost is still cheaper than paying to get things polished all the time Smile

Hope this helps.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Where to get polishing attachments Tue, 10 June 2003 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

you can get 3M scotchbrite discs from Blackwoods

fine (polishing) 25x6mmx3mm hole = 00909891
med (grind/smoothing) 25x3mmx3mm hole = 00909738
price of these are about $2-2.50 each (with trade acc)

these are 1" diameter that i use for head work with a dremel.

you can get various sizes up to bench grinder size. with a variety of hole sizes, so dremel, drill, angle grinder, bench grinder, petrol powered angle grinder Wink

these things are fantastic for shaping and polishing of aluminium. They won't get you to a perfect mirror finish but at least 98-99% there, and you'll need a cloth wheel and buffing compound to go any higher. these should be available at any decent hardware store.

Cya, Stewart
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Where to get polishing attachments Tue, 10 June 2003 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey that's excellent thanks. I actually have a rather under-used Dremel here I can use. So for the cam cover with the dremel you just leave it on?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Where to get polishing attachments Tue, 10 June 2003 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok I went down to Trade Tools at Geebung and picked up some wheels and compound there! I just got the type that goes into a power drill. No point tyring to use a bench grinder/polisher for doing mags Confused
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Where to get polishing attachments Tue, 10 June 2003 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Tue, 10 June 2003 13:09

hey that's excellent thanks. I actually have a rather under-used Dremel here I can use. So for the cam cover with the dremel you just leave it on?

It will be a f#@# easier with it off! But you prbly could manage it on there.

Cheers
Wilbo
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Where to get polishing attachments Tue, 10 June 2003 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I just had a thought, "with a dremel, being so small and all..."
but actually I take that back. WAY to much fiddling around.

Well bunnings here I come! Smile
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Where to get polishing attachments Wed, 11 June 2003 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Using a dremel would be great for the small tight areas! I will most likely go and buy one for doing in the edges of the mags i'm polishing.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Where to get polishing attachments Wed, 11 June 2003 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm, wish I had a dremel Razz

I've been putting in the ol elbow grease into my mags, and they're coming out quite nice Smile

http://images3.fotki.com/v27/photos/1/12090/202142/06090002-vi.jpg

Right one polished, left one where I started.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Where to get polishing attachments Wed, 11 June 2003 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shit yeah they look good. Shocked
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Where to get polishing attachments Wed, 11 June 2003 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey, at least they look easy to polish
I've been looking at my stock ma61 rims, and they'll be a HUGE pita to polish I'm guessing
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Where to get polishing attachments Wed, 11 June 2003 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm going to be polishing these shitters Confused

http://members.iinet.net.au/~shanej/wheel.jpg
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Where to get polishing attachments Wed, 11 June 2003 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wilbo666 wrote on Tue, 10 June 2003 10:45

Where abouts in brissy are you?

I'm on the northside. Boondall/Deagon area Smile
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Where to get polishing attachments Wed, 11 June 2003 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, jelly's are easy enough to polish being all flat and all. A lot of metal to polish though!

Shane: Heh, looks like fun, those things will come out really nice esp around the spokes. Have fun polishing them though, esp in the inside corners of spokes... Smile

What is everyone using?

I'm using 400, 1200, brasso with the powerdrill, cotton wadding and brasso again by hand. I've heard Autosol is really good, but I've got like a litre of brasso so...
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Where to get polishing attachments Wed, 11 June 2003 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On that mag in the picture, I used autosol and the buffing wheel. I also like brasso which is bassicly the same as autosol anyway.
I'll most probely take the wheels down to the tyre shop and have the tyres removed just to make things a little easier.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Where to get polishing attachments Wed, 11 June 2003 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OT: Umm, does anyone know anyone in Brissy would would swap tyres on rims for less than $10 each? One of my jellybeans has a tyre on it (would also like to take it off before polishing it up) and then I want to put the tyres that I have on my car at the moment on them...
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Where to get polishing attachments Wed, 11 June 2003 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool1 those look like a MAJOR pain in the arse! Coming up well tho form the looks!

I wanna do the wheels on mine one day but atm I'd rather go over the tappet cover again with a proper attachment, make it come up super nice. Very Happy

Boondal ain't that far out of the city.
I'm still keen as for a day of fun, but am busy as hell till about mid July. Will see if anyone is keen then I guess (seems like a bit of brissy intrest).

Cheers
Wilbo
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Where to get polishing attachments Wed, 11 June 2003 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool1 those look like a MAJOR pain in the arse! Coming up well tho form the looks!

I wanna do the wheels on mine one day but atm I'd rather go over the tappet cover again with a proper attachment, make it come up super nice. Very Happy

Boondal ain't that far out of the city.
I'm still keen as for a day of fun, but am busy as hell till about mid July. Will see if anyone is keen then I guess (seems like a bit of brissy intrest).

Cheers
Wilbo
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Where to get polishing attachments Wed, 11 June 2003 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It will probably take me that long to do these mags, so i'm interested Confused
hydro
Regular

October 2002
Re: Where to get polishing attachments Fri, 13 June 2003 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Demuire, let me know when you need tyres removed, I've got a tyre machine at work. I'm on the north side.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Where to get polishing attachments Fri, 13 June 2003 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I need tyres removed Very Happy
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Where to get polishing attachments Sat, 14 June 2003 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hydro: THANK YOU! Do you mount tyres as well? As soon as I get some wheel lugs and centercaps to suit (do you sell them?), I'd be ready to swap the tyres over...

Thanks

ps: I ended up polishing the rim with the tyre on anyway, got impatient Razz

[Updated on: Sat, 14 June 2003 01:10]

hydro
Regular

October 2002
Re: Where to get polishing attachments Sat, 14 June 2003 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool & Demuire, when you're ready let me know and I'll take em off for you. I can re-fit and balance, but I can't sell you any centre caps or similar. We aren't a retail outlet, we just go through a lot of tyres.

Dave
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Where to get polishing attachments Sat, 14 June 2003 04:17 Go to previous message
How much would it cost to remove the tyres and refit them later on?
Thanks
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:UFO 1.5 of 4 cyls firing
Next Topic:diff for hi powered sprinter?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Jun 7 06:34:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.1087429523468 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.