Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Uhh, a little help?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Uhh, a little help? Sat, 14 June 2003 08:39 Go to next message
Yeah I'm a newbie.. big deal.

Anyone know of some good places to pick up a good (and cheap) reco'ed 3s-ge in victoria.

The joys of owning a st162... bad choice, and it's not like I can put a 3s-gte in it yet. Damn p's and the total lack of money.

thanks for any help you can offer.

Charlie.
  Send a private message to this user    
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Uhh, a little help? Sat, 14 June 2003 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charlie - Dont underestimate the 3sge AND the st162- its REALLY good motor, and car - one of the best 2 litre's out there and renouned for being one of the best FWD cars ever produced in handling aspects .. They respond very well to things like exhaust upgrades, suspension tweaks and so on - which in my oppinion would be a good bet for you to persue till your off your P plates ( insurance sucks ass - believe me ! )

Any of the good jap dismantlers like toyrolla SHOULD have replacement motors you can drop in - though asking the melbourne guys would be best - seeing im a country bumpkin ( who owns the big brother 3sgte Gt4 ! )

Save your dollars - track down a reco or low KM 3s-ge that bolts in - and when insurance is alot cheaper for you - hold off the full hog 3sgte swap OR if you your wise - Buy a Gt4.

They are cheap now - and are good machines .. They might not be as lively as a FWD 3sgte in a car like yours, but the grip side of things cannot be matched with a FWD car - and are really a GT of name and nature ..
Having been in a st184 ( CeLiCa's Coupe, group A St185 motor) i was mightily impressed by the way it accellerates, It would Kill my car "as is" over a quarter mile - but to be honest for a few milliseconds difference in accelleration and a slight reduction of power to wheels figures - Id much prefer that power delivered thru all 4's - not just the fronts. I can happily drive my car in the wet and have minimal issues with slippage ( unless full boost kicks in and it decides to play crabwalks on me ) whereas a front wheel drive turbo would require a VERY gentle hand to control it in wet conditions.

If you want mad FWD traction issues - got the front wheel drive 3sgte swap - if you want the boost AND the grip to back it up - go the Gt4 !

If you have any questions re the Gt4 - ill be happy to share oppinions - as im sure CeLicCa will on his Front WD celica.

Cheers !
LiL_MiC
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Uhh, a little help? Sun, 15 June 2003 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i remember reading a site about changing the bottom end bearings every 150,000kms?

other than that, they're pretty good actually!

Just make sure it's got oil and maybe look up that bearing thing.. Coz i've had 2 friends with the same car who've both spun a bearing and had to swap the engine.

My gen 2 3sge spun a bearing as well! And so did my sister's 3sfe from her camry! [darno how my sister's one did.. Probably previous owner coz this car was definitely well taken care of]

hmm../me sees a pattern with 3s ..
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Uhh, a little help? Sun, 15 June 2003 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know of No 3sgtes going Spun bearings - every one i know of is still running strong - probably cause the internals are beefier for boost
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: Uhh, a little help? Sun, 15 June 2003 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah.. well that's not an issue here. The reason for changing is it still seems to be leaking oil, even after replacing all the seals etc, and the piston rings are also gone. I asked toyota how much for a set of rings, 200 and 100 for each piston (I decided I might as well change the pistons too) so I figure that I might as well buy a reco or low km engine and just replace it to save the trouble of finding the leak and changing the rings.

other then that the cars in kind of top nick hehe needs some paint but the rests fine. Anyone know where I could get a sampler colour of ferrari enzo red? Smile
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Uhh, a little help? Sun, 15 June 2003 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ask at a local paint shop - they should be able to make you up a tin - thugh im not 100% on ferarri giving outy tint formualas Smile

LiL_MiC
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Uhh, a little help? Sun, 15 June 2003 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh i've heard the bottom ends on 3sgte's r pretty tuff
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: Uhh, a little help? Mon, 16 June 2003 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You still haven't really answered my question, hehe. Confused

toyrolla is one, but that's on the other side of the city and a bit more. I live near Frankston, would there be any in dandenong etc to go and dig around at? And what would you estimate the price to be? because i've been told around 1000 for a low km engine
Aussie_Turbo
Regular

April 2003

Re: Uhh, a little help? Tue, 17 June 2003 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahhh im right near Frankston too buddy :)Smile

Give HM Gem engines a call, they are in Dandenong, not too far from Greens Rd. And there's another Toyota place in Cheltenham i also have the number for somewhere. PM me if u need anymore help Smile
LiL_MiC
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Uhh, a little help? Tue, 17 June 2003 15:56 Go to previous message
here is a list i stole of MR.Emil's post [old post]

AUTO JAP PARTS PLUS _______ 9336 3355 _______
BEST JAP _______ 9870 0472 _______ RINGWOOD
BIP TOYOTA _______ 9364 4868 _______ SUNSHINE
DANDENONG CAR WRECKERS _______ 9792 9321 _______ DANDENONG
EKW _______ 9336 4555 _______
JAP IMPORT WRECKERS _______ 9357 0955 _______ CAMPBELFIELD
JAPWRECK _______ 9798 7166 _______ KEYSBOROUGH
JUST JAP _______ 9359 6644 _______ THOMASTOWN
JUST TOYOTA _______ 9532 0100 _______
TOTAL AUTO WRECK _______ 9793 4022 _______ DANDENONG
TOYABAND _______ 9706 7822 _______ DANDENONG
TOYAPARTS _______ 9551 7111 _______ CLAYTON
TOYAVIC _______ 9357 1111 _______ CAMPBELFIELD
TOYJAP _______ 9798 7599 _______ KEYSBOROUGH
TOYONLY _______ 9873 5011 _______ NUNAWADING
TOYORA _______ 9792 1566 _______ DANDENONG
TOYOSPARES _______ 9720 3177 _______ BAYSWATER
TOYOTOWRECK _______ 9462 1788 _______
TOYROLLA _______ 9401 4366 _______ EPPING

There were more, but I wasn't sure if I'd find many toyota stuff in the others
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:TA22 Respray Price
Next Topic:which 2TG model to use to TURBO ?! ATTN - ROD TRY ?!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Jun 11 07:25:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0038290023803711 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.