Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
7MGTE leaking oil Wed, 18 June 2003 10:11 Go to next message
The hydraulic pump is called an oil pump in the service manual, does that mean, that it is driven by oil? or is it driven mechanically, as we are trying to find out why there is oil leaking and not transmision fluid leaking out of the torque converter area. Were hoping it's not leaking out of the crankshaft.

Thanxs
  Send a private message to this user    
BansheeBuzz
Regular

January 2003
Re: 7MGTE leaking oil Wed, 18 June 2003 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
??? that sounds totally confusing. can you clarify?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 7MGTE leaking oil Wed, 18 June 2003 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ditto - wtf are you talking about??
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 7MGTE leaking oil Wed, 18 June 2003 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The bottom line is, oil is leaking out of the torque converter from half way down, not out of the bottom drain hole, it's confusing us too. definetly not transmission fluid. So we can't work it out.
BansheeBuzz
Regular

January 2003
Re: 7MGTE leaking oil Wed, 18 June 2003 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
back of head or rockercover. Rear main. Best bet is to degrease properly and then source the leak. We cannot tell you exactly where its leaking from over the forum.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 7MGTE leaking oil Wed, 18 June 2003 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rear oil seal?

Cheers
Wilbo
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: 7MGTE leaking oil Wed, 18 June 2003 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what colour is the oil that is leaking, is it red or is it black???
that may help answer you question!!!
either way it sounds like the gearbox will have to come out!!!
i did a rear main on a 7mge the other day, in and out in about 3 hours!!!
justin
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 7MGTE leaking oil Thu, 19 June 2003 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanx for the advice.
I cleaned as much oil off the engine as I could, especially at the bottom of the engine. I could feel alot of oil coming out at the back of the head/valve cover, so I tightened the valve/cam cover as all the screws were only thumb tight and. so far no oil has leaked onto the ground, i hope that has fixed it.
I still have leaking steering fluid, i'm still trying to pin point where that is leaking from. The coolant level is extremely low (1-2cm). Can i just top it up? or do i have to drain the old coolant first? By the way the car is a Supra 87 which I picked up for $2.5k has done around 150,000km's
It needs an oil change real bad, but i had to fix the oil leaks before i could change the oil.

Thanx,Chris
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 7MGTE leaking oil Thu, 19 June 2003 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you could top it up with distilled water, but it'd probably be wise to set aside some time to give it a proper service, change the plugs and filters, aloing with the oil and coolant.
7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: 7MGTE leaking oil Thu, 19 June 2003 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$2500! hell thats cheap

Does it leak oil all the time or just when your driving?
Because the gasket went on my turbo oil pipe spraying oil EVERYWHERE every time I hit boost!
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 7MGTE leaking oil Fri, 20 June 2003 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7mgte83, It seems to just leak oil when the car is off and parked. So far i've tightened the oil filter (very loose) and also the cam cover (screws were only thumb tight)

it has slowed down the amount of motor oil leaking, but it still does leak abit, and also i can't for the life of me find where the steering fluid is leaking from. I think I will have to remove all the piping one day and check for bummed pipes.

Any more tips would be dam appreciated.

P.S. Yeah it was very cheap, plenty of power still, the guy i buaght it off wanted $3500 becuase it had a few dents in the front. And when i saw the oil leakes underneath he ended up dropping the price to $2.5k, not bad at all :)- it's the GT3.0 turbo, imported from japan with 150,000km's,all the luxury options and the digital dash all in excellent condition:)-

By the way, does anyone else have the digital dash? i have some questions about that aswell, there is always this red light, with "!" in a circle icon, it never goes away, maybe it means brake pads need replacing ??

anyway cheers everyone for the support.

[Updated on: Fri, 20 June 2003 09:32]

wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 7MGTE leaking oil Fri, 20 June 2003 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

By the way, does anyone else have the digital dash? i have some questions about that aswell, there is always this red light, with "!" in a circle icon, it never goes away, maybe it means brake pads need replacing ??

anyway cheers everyone for the support.

Hmm I doubt it's smart enough to check you brake pads for you Razz , it prbly mean you have low fluid or a bulb out?

Cheers
Wilbo
inferno6688
Occasional Poster

March 2003

Re: 7MGTE leaking oil Fri, 20 June 2003 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ur oil leaks sounds like it might be comming from the cam covers.
u will need to replace the cam cover seals. i had that problem on my 7M-GE it looked like it was coming from the transmission or somewhere there. but it turned out to be coming out from the back of the cam covers. just replace the seals and done. its not that hard or takes that long. and not that expensive!
also if u deicde to clean/wash the engine. DOn't hose it down!!. with the 7M's water gets trapped in the spark plug sockets. then u gotta manually dry out each one!!. i found out the hard way!! Cool
7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: 7MGTE leaking oil Sat, 21 June 2003 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The red (!) is usually the handbrake isn't it?
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 7MGTE leaking oil Sat, 21 June 2003 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wilbo666: Yeah maybe it's low fluid level, i do know that the rear pads need to be replaced tho. If i could find info on what the icons mean with the digital dash that'd be great. Also the tape player is "anti theft" and so it doesn't work at all, is there a way to get it working again? i heard i need a code or something?

inferno6688: Where can i get a replacement cam cover seal from? Also the screws that hold the cam cover on are pathetic, they loosen easily over time. I wonder if i can get bolts from a hardware store that i can really tighten down? thanx for the tip, i won't wash the engine down with a hose. I've been cleaning the oil with cold power in warm water and a rag. is that ok to do? what is the best way to source steering fluid leaks?

7mgte83: Hmmm it could be the handbrake, altho there is an orage kind of icon that pops up when the handbrake is applied, so i'm not sure. The red icon as i said before has "!" inside a red circle, and also it has 2 curved lines on the side, it's hard to explian, let me draw a pic hang on.

http://members.dodo.net.au/~urantiacjd/icon.jpg

do you know what this icon means?

[Updated on: Sat, 21 June 2003 03:02]

inferno6688
Occasional Poster

March 2003

Re: 7MGTE leaking oil Sat, 21 June 2003 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u can get the cam cover seal from toyota. my mechanic got it and did it. from memory its around the $100-200 mark. yeah the bolts are pretty hopeless, but i haven't had them losen on me before. they were only tighten by hand as well. i am guessing with a fresh rubber seal, it will keep it from losening as well.
u can always use degreaser to clean the oil off, it might be easier than ur cold power method. hope that helps! Smile
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 7MGTE leaking oil Sat, 21 June 2003 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shit! that's pretty expensive for a seal. Toyota sure charge alot. Is there anywhere else to get them cheaper?
if not then i guess i'll just have to pay the big bucks from Toyota.

thanx, Chris
1ndecent
Regular

January 2003
Re: 7MGTE leaking oil Sat, 21 June 2003 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
He means including labour!
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 7MGTE leaking oil Sun, 22 June 2003 03:47 Go to previous message
oops i didn't notice that included labour. Dam ADD.

So nobody knows what that red icon with the "!" means? i've heard a few answers but they have different icons on the dash, so i still dunno what it means.
anyway thanx for all the support.
Cheers, Chris
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4AGE probs
Next Topic:toyota modifications in Tasmania?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Jun 1 03:11:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005486011505127 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.