Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » How to remove an engine from the back of a truck?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
How to remove an engine from the back of a truck? Thu, 10 July 2003 10:54 Go to next message
How does one remove an engine from the back of a truck(2jzge), above waist height? its on a pallet.

ta. Cool
  Send a private message to this user    
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How to remove an engine from the back of a truck? Thu, 10 July 2003 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hahahaha! Laughing

Funny you should say that. Andrew V and I did this when he dropped a 2JZGE off at my place.

The easiest and least risky would be to hire an engine crane. They're ordinarily about $20/day. Failing that stack a pile of tyres up and get some mates around to lift it off.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How to remove an engine from the back of a truck? Thu, 10 July 2003 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob and i had the same prob with a 7mge we delivered to his folks place. we decided to simply 'drop' it off the back of the ute onto the soft lawn.

we lowered it a 'little' from the ute tray with ropes etc, and then just let it fall, maybe 2.5 feet or so?

anyway, it was ok.

not ideal, but it worked just fine Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

cheers
ed
sleeka73
Regular

April 2003

Re: How to remove an engine from the back of a truck? Thu, 10 July 2003 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe you could rope it to the pallet so it doesnt roll off and then slide it down some planks off wood, or u could rope it to a solid tree branch if u got one handy and drive the ute from under it and then SLOWLY release the rope.just some thoughts
mr spears
Regular

May 2002
Re: How to remove an engine from the back of a truck? Thu, 10 July 2003 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you just need enough manpower Smile when my brother brought his nissan VG30DET home on the ute we got 5 guys to "lift" it off onto a tyre (more like drop) damn those things are heavy, only took 2 people to lift the SR20DE. then use an engine crane as someone suggested, they are very handy
silverfox
Regular

November 2002

Re: How to remove an engine from the back of a truck? Fri, 11 July 2003 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when we got my 18R-G i just took 4 friends along we all grabbed a corner and lifted it was pretty easy

i just reckon get a few mates around and use the manpower to lift it
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How to remove an engine from the back of a truck? Fri, 11 July 2003 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Clearly you've never had to lift a JZ engine. They're goddamn heavy!
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How to remove an engine from the back of a truck? Fri, 11 July 2003 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Thu, 10 July 2003 21:45

rob and i had the same prob with a 7mge we delivered to his folks place. we decided to simply 'drop' it off the back of the ute onto the soft lawn.

we lowered it a 'little' from the ute tray with ropes etc, and then just let it fall, maybe 2.5 feet or so?

anyway, it was ok.

not ideal, but it worked just fine Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

cheers
ed

hehe i forgot all about that, i think that method fared better than the 7M we took to the 'tip' Very Happy
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How to remove an engine from the back of a truck? Fri, 11 July 2003 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beg the freight company to put it on a truck with a hydraulic tray for the back. How else would we get a 1GGTE and W58, on a palette straight onto a little trailer with just two guys Wink
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How to remove an engine from the back of a truck? Fri, 11 July 2003 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This reminds of how we got my jza-70 half cut down from the truck bed is was delivered.. It was my mates bosses' truck (an ISUZU maaate) with the tray about 1.5 meters from the ground. I thought it would fit next to the shed (with a crossmember beam specially strengthed for motor removal!)and I'd get it off with a block and tackle but it was miles too high. Luckily the truck had a long set of ramps that connect to the tray (because it doubles as a transporter for his drag car), so we put some wheels on the front cut and slid some long steel pipes into the lower sill channels (nicely cut open). Then, wheeling it like wheelbarrow to the edge of the ramp, with the back of the front cut facing out the back of the truck we gently pushed/pulled it over the edge and jumped out the way as it;
Sped down the ramp, Shocked
Slid across the concrete apron in front of the shed with the poles gouging a couple of lines in the concrete, Shocked
Slid off the end of concrete, plowed the poles into the mud - stopping them dead, Shocked
Lifted the front wheels of the front cut 1 meter into the air,
Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad
before bouncing down a few times and coming to a rest with NOT 1 PANEL DAMAGED AND NO DAMAGE TO MOTOR, GEARBOX ETC!!!

I did not want to get the half-cut off the truck in this manner, and was not happy when it happened but still couldn't believe nothing was broken, scratched or damaged (except the insides of the sill panels).
My Dad still thinks he is a genius for doing it.... Rolling Eyes

Good Luck with moving the 2j - the engine cranne is gonna be your best and safest bet!
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: How to remove an engine from the back of a truck? Fri, 11 July 2003 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
me and bugman lifted the 800cc mightyboy engine out of the tray no worries Very Happy Very Happy
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How to remove an engine from the back of a truck? Fri, 11 July 2003 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah we got that out of the back of the celica and put it in the back of the mightyboy..

BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: How to remove an engine from the back of a truck? Fri, 11 July 2003 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 2j is farkin heavy boys!

just testing the waters i could barely lift the pallet 2inches on one side.

I have a engine hoist in my possesion thankfully
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How to remove an engine from the back of a truck? Fri, 11 July 2003 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Fri, 11 July 2003 14:48

i think that method fared better than the 7M we took to the 'tip' Very Happy

whats that? the...
"drop-the-ute-tray-sides-untie-the-block-and- go-around-a-corner"
technique ?? ....

yeah, it worked, whats your point?

wich reminds me, i have to o back to the 'tip' and salvage some rod bearings for the dummy build

ed
Stenno
Regular

March 2003

Re: How to remove an engine from the back of a truck? Fri, 11 July 2003 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Fri, 11 July 2003 14:31

Clearly you've never had to lift a JZ engine. They're goddamn heavy!

They're lighter than a 7m Smile
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How to remove an engine from the back of a truck? Sat, 12 July 2003 01:42 Go to previous message
That's only because 7M's are constructed of depleted uranium. Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Extra extra read all about it
Next Topic:First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Jun 1 07:31:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058529376983643 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.