Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Don't work on cars after midnight Sun, 04 May 2003 08:15 Go to next message
Don't work on cars after midnight - you forget to put in the bolts on the bottom mount of your rear shocks, and leave them that way for nearly three months until some fanta loving person notices their absence while helping you replace your diff centre in dubbo cos you felt like it needed changing.

And clean fuel filters help. Spare filters also help when your filter in use blocks up with crap on your way back to sydney from dubbo.

I think its time i rethink my "work late into the night" policy.
  Send a private message to this user    
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Don't work on cars after midnight Sun, 04 May 2003 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hahaha... Nice one Karl...
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Don't work on cars after midnight Sun, 04 May 2003 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cant agree more... also, dont work on something, go eat pizza, and not work on the car for the next fortnight... i lost 2 bolts that holds up my fuel tank.. HAHA

goddam...

who has 2 spare bolts for RA65 fuel tank straps ?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon13.gif  Re: Don't work on cars after midnight Mon, 05 May 2003 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try working on the car at 2am in the middle of winter...

You forget to tighten important things like the bolts on the sump pickup... Then your engine dies from oil startvation in two weeks..... Confused
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Don't work on cars after midnight Mon, 05 May 2003 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heehee... i heard about that one max... Razz

remember - its not tight unless its Mos-Tight
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon14.gif  Re: Don't work on cars after midnight Mon, 05 May 2003 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha Yes, that's a very good saying. Very Happy
katsuchiyo
Regular

December 2002

Re: Don't work on cars after midnight Mon, 05 May 2003 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or you could be tired, driving at night with mates.. who are in a hurry to get back on the pub crawl.. after you have a flat tyre... so they jump out to help..and you only screw on one of the nuts... you would have thought they would have checked.. seeing as you're tired, and dont notice till it comes off 10 metres down the road and you almost rip your car up on the curb/road.

this is not fun... we had to chase the tyre down the hill too...
>.<
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Don't work on cars after midnight Mon, 05 May 2003 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
katsuchiyo wrote on Mon, 05 May 2003 18:01

we had to chase the tyre down the hill too

Nice one buddy... Funny shit but didn't you have a spare???
SupraBOY
Regular

September 2002

Re: Don't work on cars after midnight Mon, 05 May 2003 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well. i don't know what i was thinking one time.

i was having overheating problems with my car. I changed everything. radiator, thermostat, pipes. but did i even think about the water pump.. NO.

driving on the highway at night i hear a noise like driving ofer debre (leave and shit). i thought nothing of it.. but noticed my lightes dimmed, thought 'shit'. then noticed my charge light came on 'oh crap'. 200m further up the road 'what teh fuck' my temp guage was rising, and rising quick.

stupid bloody water pump blew up on me. only resulted in haveing to get a new engine.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Don't work on cars after midnight Mon, 05 May 2003 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you read the post, he had just put the spare on.
not a good idea to drive on a flat for any distance

edit: sorry, that sounded bitchy
only just got home after leaving at 6am ... it's been a long day

[Updated on: Mon, 05 May 2003 11:47]

katsuchiyo
Regular

December 2002

Re: Don't work on cars after midnight Mon, 05 May 2003 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah Smile, ill explain better..

we took the flat off, threw it in the boot, and put the new one on.. but it wasnt bolted back on properly.. only had one of the nuts in as far as i knew.. so we got about 10 metres and then the bastard tyre decided to leave the car as we started to turn back onto the main road (we were in one of those slip-road parking bays) so the tyres goes bye bye, and we all had to stop the car, and run back down the hill after the tyre Smile

it also threaded the one nut we had on there.. so even now it only has 3 nuts on.. lol

Peace
Katsuchiyo
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Don't work on cars after midnight Tue, 06 May 2003 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahhh, k, Now I getcha...

I had tired eyes last night...
thunderbird1
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Don't work on cars after midnight Fri, 09 May 2003 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah u know when mos has done up your engine mount bolts when u need to weld a spanner to the nut, tie the spanner to a crane, lift the car by the crane and dangle the car till the nut comes undone!
Mx73_LuXoBarge
Regular

October 2002
Re: Don't work on cars after midnight Sun, 11 May 2003 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A guy I used to work with came in on a Friday telling me how he had just taken delivery of a GTR32 shell and an RB25/6 (not important) to go with.

Needless to say he rushed the job and left two tiny bolts in the intake for the first turbo Laughing Shocked Laughing

Well, a few days after this thing hit the road he found that it was time to buy a new motor! So much for all his crap about "saving a fortune by doin' it himself" last I heard the bill had hit $35,000 Skull - Blink Crying or Very Sad
_Rivmasta_
Regular

April 2003
Re: Don't work on cars after midnight Wed, 14 May 2003 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm... Once did a engine rebuild late on a Friday night before a race meeting. Get to the track on Sat Morn to find the skid plate full of oil.

Forgot the rear main seal. oops. Mad dash to the nearest repco and managed to get back and get it in before the first race - we had only missed qualifying!

Started from R.O.G. finished 3rd in class by the next afternoon! the best result we had in 2002!!!!!
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: Don't work on cars after midnight Fri, 16 May 2003 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a friend told me that he put a gsr td04 turbo on his tp magna in one night, him and a friend started at 8pm on the friday and were welding the last parts of the exhaust manifold ad 10am on saturday

needless to say he did't get up to much on the saturday night
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Don't work on cars after midnight Sat, 17 May 2003 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Sun, 04 May 2003 18:15

Don't work on cars after midnight - you forget to put in the bolts on the bottom mount of your rear shocks, and leave them that way for nearly three months until some fanta loving person notices their absence while helping you replace your diff centre in dubbo cos you felt like it needed changing.

And clean fuel filters help. Spare filters also help when your filter in use blocks up with crap on your way back to sydney from dubbo.

I think its time i rethink my "work late into the night" policy.

Hey, we all know Toyotas only have all those bolts in them just as a secondary backup, you'll be right for ages with missing bolts. Smile
Plus I think that's what they do at TRD for lightening, the stage 3 part involves removing every second bolt, and drilling out all the rest so they are hollow. Good for healthy 5Kg weight loss! Razz
Mk2supraman
Occasional Poster

June 2003
Re: Don't work on cars after midnight Mon, 07 July 2003 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was putting a motor in a Toyota pickup that I had built earlier that day it was about 2 in the morning I had been working on it since 10 in the morning had it in put oil in it went to start it the oil light went off and about 30 seconds later it came back on so i turned it off got out and looked and saw 4.5 quarts of oil on the ground oops I forgot the oil filter. put it on 4 more quarts of oil and it was fine but it made a hell of a mess.
toycelica77
Regular

February 2003
Re: Don't work on cars after midnight Wed, 09 July 2003 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
finished re-bullding engine at 3:30 in the morning, decide to wait till the next day to fill it with oil...

anyways, put about 5 litres in it, checked the dipstick,

"oh, not enough oil"

proceed to pour another 4 litres of oil into the engine

"still not full?!?!"

*looks down*

there was a river of oil at my feet Confused

not to self - always check that the sump plug is in before filling with oil:S
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Don't work on cars after midnight Wed, 09 July 2003 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
didn't happen at midnight, but it was just before bed.

Car was idling down after a nce long thrash last night.
I think to myself "I can pull that last plug while I'm waiting for it to cool down, then the wiring will be finshed"
So me being the smat person he is cuts the wiared to the plug, then watches as they fall down against the engine block.
the 2 power wires then cause a nice big shower of sparks (which looked really cool) and then my engine died.
After racking my brain for a while, I slept on it. turns out it's a blown fuel pump fuse (and hopefully nothing else - the microtech was pretty hot)
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Don't work on cars after midnight Thu, 17 July 2003 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fallen for this one too.
Had to replace my clutch after frying it while reversing a trailer up my driveway (if you see my driveway, you'll understand).
Pulled half the engine bay apart to get the gearbox out (why the hell did Toyota put 3 of the 4 engine mounts on east-west engines on the gearbox?!) Mad
Finally got it all back together, 4 days after starting about 9pm on a Friday night, started the engine up to take it for a spin. Smile
Got to the front of the car to discover a river of oil travelling down the driveway.
Forget to put an oil filter back on. Embarassed On my car, its mounted horizontally on the back of the engine, hidden above the steering rack, and underneath the turbo exhaust manifold.
Got quite a few good looks as I rocked up to Westpoint Woollies at Blacktown covered in grease & oil buying a 5kg bag of Cat litter to soak up my mistake. Rolling Eyes
Had to dump the sump again because didn't know how much oil I'd lost.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 July 2003 05:50]

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Don't work on cars after midnight Sat, 19 July 2003 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or tractors? (ok it's a little OT but ..)
my brother (a few years ago) rebuilt my mums farm's 4cyl diesel tractor outside the work shed (shed was full of cars & shit) in a hurry. Last job was to fill engine (and gearbox/clutch case - they shared the same oil) with lube.
He hadn't put plug in sump and consequently dumped entire large drum of new oil thru the motor into long grass.
If he had used the shed he would have the pool of oil right away, but it was late and under engine was in shadow of the shed's floodlight. Needless to say he temporarily left the tractor oil-less and got drunk for about a day.
I think the oil he wasted cost about a week's wages at the time (he's a lab assistant in Toowoomba)?
Charles.
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Don't work on cars after midnight Sun, 20 July 2003 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe toowoomba,

that place is......... interesting........

i was wiring up a stereo with a friend, the whole lot head unit speakers amp sub,

took ages started about lunch time, finished about 4 am,
it took so long because

1. we didnt really know what we were doing.. but it seemed simple enough.

lol and

2. the head unit was missing its fuse, so nothing worked. it took us about 5 hours of wiring and re wiring to figure it out.

Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Don't work on cars after midnight Mon, 21 July 2003 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hahaha... LOL...

How did you end up finding that the fuse was blown???
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Don't work on cars after midnight Tue, 22 July 2003 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good stories guys Very Happy

I've done stupid things when working on cars late and tired - simple jobs take 3x as long.

Only things I can think of right now are to do with noises... ages ago, for a while I was getting this knocking noise from the right rear of the car when cornering. Couldn't figure it out. A few days later, the car was parked, and I saw that one rear wheel's lug nut was missing, and some ofg the others were loose. I think the noise was the wheel not sitting flush on the hub and shifting when cornering Rolling Eyes

Another time, late at night I heard this faint weird tinkling sound. It was persistant, so 2 blocks later figured I should pull over. Thoguht some kids had tied something to my exhaust or something. Looked around, then noticed the passenger seatbelt was extended and trapped in the door, and I had been dragging
the latch all the way down the street. Broke of the plastic belt guide bar (why do toyota make the latch metal, but the bar above plastic?? Could be one peice) Still works.
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: Don't work on cars after midnight Tue, 22 July 2003 22:29 Go to previous message
Les: what size are the bolts?

think i have some.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:HEY DID ANYONE SEE THE CRESSI AT THE CREEK LAST NIGHT????
Next Topic:Carpark Dorifto
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 28 04:37:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.074761867523193 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.