Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
1JZGTE budget upgrade path Wed, 23 July 2003 02:33 Go to next message

Hey folks,

I'm really just day-dreaming at this stage - of making my 1J go faster, given a tight budget and power restrictions imposed by:

stock injectors
stock turbos
auto slush-box, and its dependency upon
stock ECU

I will have a 3" exhaust, big FMIC, and Apexi SAFC-II. And was wondering how this combo would go:

Hi-flow the ct12's and replace ceramic with steel wheels
Use JDM JZA-80 440cc injectors
Apexi ITC
Up the stall speed on the auto & add a transmission cooler

This works out a whole lot cheaper than new turbo(s), manual conversion, aftermarket ecu, and Saard injectors! What I'm wondering is what sort of power gains it would bring and what the 'managibility' of the set-up would be like using the two piggy-back units?

Any and all comments, advice, etc. welcomed!

Thanks in advance,

Justin
JZA-61 on the way

Send a private message to this user    
E30-323ti
Regular

June 2002
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Wed, 23 July 2003 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 2 Apexi piggyback computers will cost almost as much as a standalone ECU (eg Microtech) and won't be as flexible.
A standalone will still have to be wired in with the stock ECU to control the auto trans probably.

You should be able to make around 300rwhp with high flowed turbos, exhaust, FMIC and ECU. Just a guess though, too many variables to take into account.

My 2c
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Wed, 23 July 2003 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you mentioned stock injectors, then mention the jdm 440cc units?

before you start modding, work out how much power you want.

if it's more than ~270rwkw, then save up for new turbos. otherwise, mod the stockers.

to give you an idea on standalone computers, my microtech ltx12 cost me around $1100 all up
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Wed, 23 July 2003 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you actually priced high-flowed CT12A's? It's by no means cheap...
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Wed, 23 July 2003 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd assume they're cheaper than new turbo/manifold/exhaust work though?
wastegate
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Wed, 23 July 2003 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I priced up getting the CT12A's modded and it was $1200 per turbo.

For the same price is the retail on a Garrett GT35R.

Yes a exhaust manafold and wastegate would be an extra $1600 but I know which one I would want more, so I'm now saving for the single.

ECU I would chuck out the HKS STD, Apexi HIV and all the other piggy back crap. I've chosen a Power FC for the 1JZ due to price and the fact that it plugs right into the stock loom and is fairly programable.

Injectors would be 540cc SARD injectors, seen some of these go for about 50,000yen in Japan for the set of 6 for the 1JZ/2JZ.

Fuel System, well I am using a Walbro.

Personaly I wouldn't bother with the hiflowed CT12A's unless you really want it.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Wed, 23 July 2003 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow
in that case you'd never consider it, unless you wanted your 1j looking stock.
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Wed, 23 July 2003 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would not bother increasing the stall speed on a 1JZGTE auto... do you even know what the stall converter does?

I assume that the stall point is very similar to that in the 7MGTE auto, being effectively the same gearbox (even if it's a late model 1JZ). I think the 7M was approx 2200rpm, and that was fine for the factory single, I'd say that the twin turbo setup would make it even better.

I would instead be modifying the valve body (fairly cheap if you can take the auto to someone) and leaving the rest of it alone. Then run a good quality fluid and a top-notch cooler and the auto should give you very few (if any) troubles.

They are fairly strong, but once they start to slip they flog out in no time. If you up the line pressures they don't slip therefore they don't wear as much therefore they're unlikely to give out Smile

Your other option is a JZA80 W58, fairly cheap all considered.
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Wed, 23 July 2003 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Even with basic upgrades like exhaust/cooler/14psi should get a Mk2 into the 12's. If not you're doing something very, very wrong.

Don't waste your money on Apexi Sards, HKS TRDs, JUN FCONs and HIV Nismos, if you're straying from the stock ECU, get a full management system and be done with it. I don't like Microtechs that much but I'd take one over any combination of those stupid rice things. Believe me, I have a friend with a stack of the things and he wishes he just bought a new ECU in the first place. All you do is fix one limitation and then run into another down the track. They're good in theory but in practice they're never what you want.

Only one worth considering is a PowerFC, and they're hard to come by at a good price.

Same with the turbo.. don't waste money on hiflows - they were a compromise from the factory, so they're still a compromise in a modified car. Save up for a real one or you'll just disappoint yourself.

[Updated on: Wed, 23 July 2003 08:32]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Wed, 23 July 2003 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hell, I'd guess mine'd be under 13, and I'm using the stock cooler
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Wed, 23 July 2003 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven: Did you ever have the stock computer in your car? If so, how did it compare to the microtech? Is your car a manual?

also, The powerFC is only made to suit manual 1jz's as far as I know so rule that out if you have an auto.

For my car, (1jz Corona) I was thinking

-3" exhaust
-FMIC
-celicamad boost controller set at around 13psi to be safe.

then

-either 440cc or 550cc injectors (pick up while in Japan Smile)
-Microtech LTX12 or Wolf 3D v4 (price is similar if not cheaper than PowerFC and lots of tunability)
-t04e rated to about 550hp and a custom exhaust and inlet manifold.

I already have upgraded diff and tailshaft and I hope the auto will last a bit with these mods. This is a fair bit down the track anyway Smile
Pricing: about $300 to $500 for injectors (from Japan), about $1500 for cpu, turbo and ext. wastegate is about $1500 to $2000 and manifold can be had for about $700 from my mechanic. so that is about $4000 to $4700 for about 450 to 500hp!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Wed, 23 July 2003 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeps, I ran the stock ecu for a while.
To be honest, I've forgotten how it felt.

best tbing to do is compare the dyno figures.

I've got a 3" exhaust, microtech, and that's it in terms of mods.

I made 185 rwkw, and other 1js with similar mods but no cpu made less. Of course, the aftermarket ecu really comes into it's own once you go for different turbos/big boost etc etc
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Wed, 23 July 2003 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7M-Brisbane wrote on Wed, 23 July 2003 18:26

Don't waste your money on Apexi Sards, HKS TRDs, JUN FCONs and HIV Nismos,

Damn. I was looking at a HIV Nismo for my 5MTE.

Piggy backs are a distraction from the main game....they take away money you could otherwise be putting towards decent aftermarket management.

Flashing green lights might be pretty at night but what good is knowing that the air fuel mixture is close to accurate in real time if the system used to set it is so inflexible that you can't correct it? I'd much rather be 100% confident that my fuel MAP has been accurately set and controlled by a decent and discrete ECU.
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Wed, 23 July 2003 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

also, The powerFC is only made to suit manual 1jz's as far as I know so rule that out if you have an auto.

Sorry I wasn't more clear. It is true that they are not available for the auto 1JZ's. I was more speaking generallywith that comment - should have qualified it a bit.

Quote:

Damn. I was looking at a HIV Nismo for my 5MTE.

Don't get me wrong gianttomato, with modern advances you can live with HIV. I just feel that you're better off not getting it in the first place. Laughing

[Updated on: Wed, 23 July 2003 11:22]

Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Wed, 23 July 2003 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If a genuine 210-220 rwkw is enough then stay with the stock turbos, ecu, injectors and everything. All you need is twin dump pipes a 3+ inch exhaust system and a decent intercooler + fcd + boost controller.

Injectors are only half the problem with power over 250rwkw. Ignition systems break down and a CDI is required to provide spark under extreme conditions.

My advice dont muck around if you want to make 250 + and run 20psi then get autronic + cdi.

Many people have told me to replace the standard turbs with a single will cost $10G to do it properly. And these guys are no fools who have done it themselves.

Dont stuff around with microshit, untill you have seen an autronic idle and warm up without fouling plugs or coughing and vibrating etc.

a certain 2j i know tried everything only to throw it all away, now runs autronic with cdi, plugs are standard heat rating and 1.4 mm gap !!!! it runs like a factory computer !

moral of the story dont start chasing the big numbers without serious cash.

Matt

Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Thu, 24 July 2003 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Yeah, all fair comments - as I said above, it's all day-dreaming stuff for the moment. The problem is that, with the set-up I already have (though not all put together yet), I don't see a mod by mod upgrade path. It's kinda (though not entirely) all or nothing. Granted, this is largely because of the set-up I choose to start with. Anyway, I'm going to have to start saving my pocket money if I ever want to go for those big power numbers (not priority one at the moment). Guess I could buy stuff and shelve it piece by piece (insert visions of frustration everytime I see the Garret turbo getting dusty on the shelf above the car, while I save for ecu, injectors, manual conversion parts, etc).

cheers,

Justin
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Thu, 24 July 2003 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm running a MicroTech in my 1JZ with no problems. It works great.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Thu, 24 July 2003 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Of course if you really really want a big single turbo.

http://www.japanesemotorsport.com.au/commingsoon.h tm

The Trust T-67 turbo kit for a 1jz - with wastegate etc. Apparently it came off a jza-70. Last time I heard it was still for sale and they wanted $3,900 for it.

Which is a bit too much for me at the moment....

[Updated on: Thu, 24 July 2003 07:53]

Grant
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Fri, 25 July 2003 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What's the concern with running 1J turbo's over 14psi? Of the many people I know who have 1J's are all running 16psi and have done for years without failure. In fact, other than failures of the shaft due to lack of oil, I have never personally spoken to anyone who has suffered catastrophic wheel failure. As for fitting steel wheels, why would anyone want to fit a heavier wheel in a 1J housing, increasing inertia and spool-up time??

Danish, what other mods have you carried out on the 1J and what boost are you running? Also, what ignition are you running; stock igniter? Not trying to be critical, just curios as I have already had experience with Haltech and Autronic on 1J's but not Microtech.

As for the original discussion I think the question has been answered. Like most things in life you get what you pay for. Small cash = small gain; big cash = big gain.

[Updated on: Fri, 25 July 2003 03:02]

lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Fri, 25 July 2003 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant wrote on Fri, 25 July 2003 12:30

As for the original discussion I think the question has been answered. Like most things in life you get what you pay for. Small cash = small gain; big cash = big gain.

So true! If it was so cheap and easy to get big Hp out of the 1jz everyone would be doing it! My ma70+1jz is dead stock (10 psi), down to the genuine toyota air-filter, and still managed to spank a noisy V8(HSV? Looked like it!) VS Commodore last night - and get pretty close to an STI WRX (he had me for traction - but I was gaining fast in the top end Laughing )

You can get carried away reading all the magazines/posts etc thinking you need to have 300+ RwKw but as long as you're happy and having fun - who really cares what it's got at the wheels? Cool
1JZ.747
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Fri, 25 July 2003 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
micro shit.......

that is a very BIG call

i do remember issue 62 ZOOM mag a white 2j supra that makes 374 rear wheel kilowatt running, yep you guessed it a microshit, sorry microtech computer.. and all with standard internals, a fuel rail and injectors. Amazing

autronic $2500 starting price + CDI $1000 + tune $800 starting price.

microtech, fitted & tuned $2300 goit quoted yesterday.

saving $2000,

interesting..

all depends on whos opinion you listen too i suppose. every one has one.

biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Fri, 25 July 2003 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1JZ.747 wrote on Fri, 25 July 2003 13:54

autronic $2500 starting price + CDI $1000 + tune $800 starting price.

microtech, fitted & tuned $2300 goit quoted yesterday.

saving $2000,

interesting..

all depends on whos opinion you listen too i suppose. every one has one.

Autronic actually starts at ~$1700. (at least mine did!)
Grant
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Fri, 25 July 2003 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You don't HAVE to buy a CDI of course but anyone wanting to run high boost with the stock igniter (irrespective of ecu type) you will run into trouble. Unless someone who knows more about Autronic then me (and I'm no expert) cares to comment, I see no reason why you couldn't use something like commodore twin post coils driven from each ignition output of the Autronic ecu. Not very attractive though. CDI's are the ultimate as they operate at very high voltage and are able to deliver much more spark energy than what a tranistor can.
1JZ.747
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Fri, 25 July 2003 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the price i was quoted for a smc was $2200. supposidly the most basic. and depending on what bells and whistles and whether i wanted it to blow my nose depended on how much extra it cost.

Confused
1JZ.747
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Fri, 25 July 2003 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats interesting Grant thankyou for that bit of information, the autronic distributor i spoke to yesterday said to me that i would have to because it only has 4 or 8 drivers so the CDI was needed to run a six cylinder engine.

might have a chat to you on the weekend about that.

thanks

shane Smile
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Fri, 25 July 2003 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant wrote on Fri, 25 July 2003 13:00

I think what everyone here is talking about is spending their cash in smarter ways. There are plenty of cars that have had relatively small amounts of cash spent on them and perform quite well. By the sounds of things, Justin is already on the right track by installing the 1JZ. For what his conversion would have cost him, there ain't no way in hell you could get a 5M to come any where near it. The important think to note is that given a certain package, the more you try to get out of it, the more it will cost you and the lower the reliability will become.

My advice is start with the basics, the standard management is pretty good, so up the boost a bit and get the inlet temps and pressure drops down and you will have a great car. If you want much more than this still relatively standard package, be prepared that it will come at a cost.

Don't forget that while a standard 1jz puts out I guess 130-150kw at the wheels it has a pretty fat power curve and there is going to be a lot more useable power than a smaller engine that peaks at 150kw at 8000rpm.
Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Fri, 25 July 2003 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On a side note : They do make a Power FC for 1j autos now.
You can even change the shift points from the hand controler on the fly.
Seen it in HPI a while ago.
Brett.
Grant
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Fri, 25 July 2003 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just checked the Autronic diagram. Should of done that first.......You can certainly run 6 cylinder as wasted spark BUT I forgot you need 3 bosch igniters. In fact, I had that exact set-up on my 1GGZE many years ago but it's a messy arrangement. People go for the CDI bacause by the time you pay for the bosch igniters and then muck around with the coils it's a better option to go for the CDI.

Micotech has the advantage as it can interface with the stock 1J igniter as a true sequential ouput rather than say haltech who attempts (unsucessfully) to run a batch arrangement. The stock igniter does have limitations though. Another option if you do want to use Autronic, but not CDI, may be to use a late model ('96 onwards I think) igniter that runs batchfire rather than sequential. The Autronic may be able to drive this.

[Updated on: Fri, 25 July 2003 04:42]

Grant
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Fri, 25 July 2003 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"130-150kw at the wheels" ?? You must be talking about a stock Soarer? Try 210kw at 16psi with 3" exhaust and aftermarket IC.
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Fri, 25 July 2003 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Helmann wrote on Fri, 25 July 2003 14:28

On a side note : They do make a Power FC for 1j autos now.
You can even change the shift points from the hand controler on the fly.
Seen it in HPI a while ago.
Brett.

I know you can get a PowerFC for the Chaser auto, but no other 1JZ auto (unless something has come out *very* recently). Reasoning for this is that the auto on the Chaser is controlled by a separate ECU for the gearbox. All other 1JZ cars (from memory) have their gearboxes controlled by the main ECU, and APEXi do not cater for autos in the PowerFC.

Bear in mind, I could be wrong, since I haven't read a HPI mag for ages (but the APEXi website doesn't have any info about it anyway).

[Updated on: Fri, 25 July 2003 05:42]

Grant
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Fri, 25 July 2003 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've never seen a Chaser harness with a seperate auto controller but I do know that the Mark 2 always used seperate auto controllers for the 1G engines. They may have carried this on with the 1J.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Fri, 25 July 2003 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I have a chaser jzx90 1jz in my corona and I only have one computer controlling the engine and gearbox? I do know what you mean, as they actually have 3 computers. (don't know what the other one is for)
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Fri, 25 July 2003 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant - The guy said "stock 1j" not "1j modified with an exhaust and an aftermarket intercooler". Even so, your figure seems a little... inflated.

I don't mean to doubt you or the dyno your car has been tested on - and congratulations if the dyno you were tested on is accurate - but please be aware that there are a lot of people out there making a lot less power than you with similar modifications. And I don't think that they did them 'wrong', and I don't think that you did them 'right'. There are many instances where people can drive from one workshop to another and get 20kW more/less at the wheels. I would have said that 190-200kW at the wheels was a pretty fair effort from a 1JZ... 210kW seems a bit ambitions.

Like I said, well done if you've got that, it's just that I find it a bit hard to believe.

I just feel that dynos are a bit subjective and they shouldn't be spoken as gospel. Feel free to fly off your handle and tell me where I've gone wrong - I don't know anything about these modern engines.
ReQuieM
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Fri, 25 July 2003 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gota Q for you all wise 1jz sage's. what @ the wheels can i expect from:

18psi
twin dumps (2.5inch) all the way through (seperate Smile)
BIG arse IC (inc manderal bent piping)
HK$ super sequ BOV
ajustable cam gears
hiflowed CT12a's
all tuned and run by a stand alone comp (not specified yet)

?? all in a manual jza70 btw. i have current the IC piping and 3" Blitz exaust in 3"dump and the HK$ SS BOV running at 14odd PSI (need a tune tho as i'm geting boost spikes)HK$ EVC and timer. this was tested some time before i purchased it at around 250hp at the wheel (not sure exactly what mods or boost it was running at time tho, i only have the dyno sheet)

what could i expect?

what do i want? really between 2-300kw at the wheels, suggestion?

EDIT: i may also have the ajustable cam gears atm too but i havent confirmed it yet! Wink

[Updated on: Fri, 25 July 2003 10:30]

wastegate
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Fri, 25 July 2003 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do those mods and find out.

I'll throw my dart at the dyno chart now... and the dart has replied with ~250rwkw.

ps. ct12a's are the devils work. Laughing
ReQuieM
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Fri, 25 July 2003 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah thanx for that Razz
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Fri, 25 July 2003 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grant,

Currently my 1JZ has a MicroTech LTX12 which has inbuilt igniters. I have a 3" exhaust from the turbo. HKS Airfilter, custom metal piping on some parts of the intake. Stock GZ20 FMIC. HD Clutch, custom bellhousing to suit W58 gearbox. Custom sump. Trust oil catch can. No boost controller. After putting in new vacuum lines to almost everything, the boost gauge is reading approximately 8-10PSI boost throughout 1,2,3rd. It's also got a Bosch 979 external fuel pump, 2 14" thermo fans and a blitz blow off valve.

I still have my Celicamad boost controller to put in and adjust to 12PSI. It has only had one tune and I've only been driving it for around a week, still running a bit rich and the cooling system needs a good flush. I'd like to go to 14PSI with a bigger front mount intercooler, hopefully soon as the intake gets extremely hot.

I still have everything else stock, wheels are still the 15" stockers, LSD, lowering the car on Tuesday with some kg/mm HD springs. I'm trying to track down a second hand APEXi N1 or JUN B.L muffler and some second hand 17" wheels, I like the KR ones. On another note I got a really good alarm system and attached my $100 pager that works really well with it, that was from KC Electronics.

There is no stepper motor however, so it takes a few minutes to warm up from say 5 degrees cold, as I did tonight, then it idles fine. I'm yet to get a Handset and install my oil pressure and water temp gauges, and put in a new turbo timer. I also have a nice new oil cooler to install.

I don't think I'll be changing the turbo's, i'd like to get 200RWKW when the intercooler and boost gauge is put in and it is tuned correctly. I'm also looking at replacing the y-peice with some bigger twin dumps. Also my 1JZ is the one with traction control, I was trying to work out what model Soarer or Chaser or Supra it came from.

I can't really think of anything else at the moment, but when i pulled out of RPM it was tuned for 7PSI, and after replacing hoses it now rests under 10PSI so maybe a leak?

By the way my MicroTech LTX12 with inbuilt igniters cost me $1900 fitted and tuned.

I'll get some pictures this weekend. RPM Performance Centre did the conversion, really great blokes.

I'd like to see other people's 1JZ engine bays and a list of mods they have done with their results. I'm yet to post my results after the second tune.

[Updated on: Fri, 25 July 2003 18:58]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Sat, 26 July 2003 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rwkw isn't a great indication of the tuning unfortunately. My car is tuned fantastically for full throttle (hence 185rwkw), but unfortunately the rest of the fuel map needs work, which is why it chews through so much fuel.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Sat, 26 July 2003 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I was going to put a picture up of my engine bay but there is no attach file button here? I only have the pic on my computer. Anyone know how I can post a pic from hard drive here?

BTW I will go and take an updated pic this arvo Smile
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Sat, 26 July 2003 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can only attach pix in the for sale section
in other section you have to link it (i.e., host it somethwre)
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Sat, 26 July 2003 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got pics now if anyone wants them.
ReQuieM
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Sun, 27 July 2003 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i wouldn't mind em! requiem@ncable.com.au

Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Sun, 27 July 2003 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Requiem I reckon you'll make about 230 kw at the wheels as that setup you described is almost identical to mine.

At the last dyno day I made 204 rwkw @ 1 barr boost and very rich tuning ( i had fitted an aftermarket fuel pump the week before, a/f's somewhere in the 10's). I also had a very bad boost leak from my intercooler plumbing which we couldnot find leading up to the day ( new intercooler also installed that week). Timing gears were fitted but not dialed in on a dyno.

With a tune I'd hope to make 220rwkw@1 barr ON THAT DYNO, with a little extra boost perhapps some more again.

hope this helps

Matt

ReQuieM
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Sun, 27 July 2003 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah tar that does a bit, i was hopin for more then that tho, seeing as i'm almost gettin 200 any hoo.

might have to look at turbo swaps... really like to get heps of power with the twin smalls. maybe a 2j bottom end
irwige
Occasional Poster

March 2003

Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Sun, 27 July 2003 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe. didnt take you long to reply about the Power FC for autos did it simon...

lol
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Mon, 28 July 2003 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Information & reality check much appreciated folks. As I said at the start - I'm really just daydreaming of big fat power. There's plenty of other stuff that needs my money before I invest in the single turbo (which does seem to be the smart way to go). Guess I was just thinking aloud, looking for a cheap short-cut. My car is a daily driver and I live close to the city. Really, I'll be quite happy with 250+rwhp with a snappy start off the lights to beat those WRX's.

Thanks guys,
Justin

Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Mon, 28 July 2003 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Of cousre it is possible to make more power, however the highest reading on even the most optimisitic reading dyno was only <250rwkw with stock turbo's (untouched). There are other ways to go about making your car faster with the same peak power than just more peak power. Clever Boost control in 1j's can be a very rewarding modification.

Others I have heard of have made more using modified stock turbo's but at a cost approaching that of a big single set up anyway.

200rwkw + is still a shitload of power requiring a pretty serious diff/suspension + tyre combination to make the most of anyway. Not to mention brakes.

230rwkw is only a guess - I would love to make more after a tune as well but how much can you expect out of leaning it out by 1.2 a/f and tuning the timing gears + a litle more boost ???

My figure of 204 seems pretty consistent with other similar 1j's.

At the last dyno day 2 others with virtually the same mods made the same power as I, all 3 cars within 4 kw of each other.

Matt

Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Sat, 24 January 2004 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd just like to add to my previous post and set the record straight now that I have had more people look at my conversion and now that I have more experience and education on the subject.

Unfortunately RPM Performance Centre did an extremely poor job. The electrical wiring was the worst ever constructed and had to be redone. There was lots of rubbish stuck in nooks and crannies of the engine. They forgot to put oil and coolant in the engine when I came to pick it up (which I had to remind them however, I didn't notice the oil level until after I got home). They did a very poor job on constructing intercooler and intake piping. It was very restrictive, full of rust and metal beads (from welds) and has holes in it. The vacuum system was incorrectly hosed. The engine was also mounted on a slight angle.

Finally it took them almost 1 year to complete, even though it looked very rushed and very incomplete. It was a very overpriced and poorly constructed job.

However, I am happy to say that the new mechanic, Brentan at Fours N More (1JZ/Toyota specialist) and the new auto electrician, Gary at Eddies Auto Electrical have done an excellent job so far to fix all the problems. They have been enthusiastic and extremely helpful which has been a refreshing change.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Sat, 24 January 2004 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it always sucks when the initial euphoria of a rocket powered car wears off and you start noticing the niggling problems Smile
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Sat, 24 January 2004 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i want that initial euphoria though Sad

on a side note, who would be interested assisting a first timer in a 1J engine conversion? (greg? Very Happy ) in the silva ma61 beast
for some sort of payment Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Sat, 24 January 2004 12:55]

Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Sat, 24 January 2004 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's exactly what it was Draven. I was trying to come up with those words!

There is a huge list of stuff that they overlooked, ignored, and did inproperly. They also missed a few bolts here and there.

They were extremely lazy about the conversion and ignored some of my requests.

On another happier note though, the former owner of RPM Tim, does an excellent tuning job on my MicroTech.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Sun, 25 January 2004 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is why I refuse to take my cars to a workshop - regardless of their reputation, you just never know how badly they're going to screw it up! Sad
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Sun, 25 January 2004 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unfortunately I can't get my car down the driveway so I have nowhere to work on it safely and securely.
psybic
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Thu, 27 January 2005 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
At the ECU debate...
Where does one purchase a LT12x for less than $1200 let alone have it installed and tuned also... surely its going to end up closer to $2000...
At Apexi add on's not coping....http://www.turbomagazine.com/features/01 10tur_streetsupra/

Stock ECU, Apexi VPC, ITC, AFC, AVC-R help achieve 700hp... i'd be happy with that.
manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Thu, 27 January 2005 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hardcore in Brisbane tuned my 1j.stock computer and turbos.safc to lean it out a tad.my twin dumps and twin system all the way.Good intercooler.Celicamads air bleed style boost controller and a walbro in tank pump. 302 horses at the wheels,approx 225 rwkw.[manual gearbox]at 14psi.
I know many will say its a crap reading etc etc variation on dynos whatever.dynodynamics dyno,4th gear,shootout mode.
All that aside,.for most people with no intention of hitting the track,this is enough power.
Prices over and above stock motor and conversion costs-
SAFC and tune $600
Boost controller $380
Dump pipes $350
Very good twin exhaust with stainless mufflers [three] and 2 cats $2400 [maybe more than required]
intercooler $500 [with mild steel piping]
Walbro pump-keep getting cheaper-try importbitz
More cash if you cant do a little fitting yourself.The prices etc are a guide only but it is pretty accurate and the mods are simple and not overly expensive for the results.I think many would be better off taking this path before going single turbo.Many end up with an expensive car with too much power for drivers of average ability.400 horses coming on boost is pure pleasure for some and overkill for the majority.My 20 cents.
Cheers.Pete. Smile

[Updated on: Thu, 27 January 2005 17:37]

KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Fri, 28 January 2005 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Sun, 25 January 2004 12:43

This is why I refuse to take my cars to a workshop - regardless of their reputation, you just never know how badly they're going to screw it up! Sad

So true! My car is having dramas now, screws and bolts missing everywhere! But anyways:

manmx83, are they the dumps in the avatar? For $350? Where did you get them from? I hear it is a big improvment.

My list of mods include:
Supra TT Fuel Pump
Stock 380's
Steel Wheels (Using Starlet Wheel)
FMIC
3" exhaust after the front pipe (Stck front pipe)
10 psi (no boost controller yet)
Haltech E6X
Made 180rwkw, i would like to have over 200rwkw, once it is boosted, and I have the front pipe.

My car is built mainly for the track, so 200rwkw, should be enough, but it is a little bit laggier than the stock twins.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v102/EGG80X/Meet/charity%20cruise%20Jan%2005/meetshane.jpg

Anyone know who can build a box around the air filter, and ECU (The black garbage bag in the pic!!)??
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Fri, 28 January 2005 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any sort of aluminium place could do it.

ALternatively, measure it up, by some 1mm thick aluminium and some tin snips. Cut the pieces you need and get someone with a TIG to weld it up Smile
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZGTE budget upgrade path Fri, 28 January 2005 02:40 Go to previous message
Jeez, this thread's only 18 months old??

Suffice to say, I ended-up doing this quite differently (eg, W58 & Haltech E6X) and learnt quite a bit on the way ( Embarassed )
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:swapping 1g injector plugs to fit 7m injectors?
Next Topic:T50's Suck!!!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 23 23:04:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0083489418029785 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.