Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Oil filters?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Oil filters? Mon, 28 July 2003 12:41 Go to next message
Seeing as I'm going to be using a remote oil filter kit on my engine and I wont be limited to a particular filter type, I'm wondering what is the best filter to use? I'm not talking about brand either, I'm talking about size!
Anyone have any suggestions?
  Send a private message to this user    
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Oil filters? Mon, 28 July 2003 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok don't quote me on this, maybe someone else can have better input than me....

Anyhooooo.... oil filters today are supposed to be quite good at filtering oil regardless of their size, ie. a bigger filter will not offer better filtration. This being said one would imagine that a larger filter could be kept on the car for longer between changes as it would take longer to clog up and have reduced filtration efficiency.

My advice.... take it for what its worth...... would be to use a filter the same size as what is usually used on the 3S-GTE and change it every oil change. Hope this helps!!

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Oil filters? Mon, 28 July 2003 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I was pretty much thinking the same thing. Although the type/size of the filter does have a lot to do with the price. I mean if I just used a common ol Falcon type I would be saving a lot of the plastic folding stuff every time I did an oil change Rolling Eyes
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Oil filters? Mon, 28 July 2003 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but brand may be important too?

i recall a couple of folks (off & on list) saying/commenting that some of the factory filters (toyota for instance) were designed to retain a lot of oil when engine was off so there was more fluid in the system/filter when you next started the engine and it took less time to pressurise all the oil galleys (as opposed to the cheapo brands)?

also, i think there would be differences in back-pressure, volume thru-put of oil, down-stream line-pressure etc depending on model/make/design of filter?

... tho as you've gone remote filter you've probably improved on the factory oil pump anyway so this is all academic? Wink

but if you're running a factory oil pump, then the filter should be close to factory specs/design?

Charles.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Oil filters? Mon, 28 July 2003 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shane my 4AGE is running a remote mount oil filter and cooler. the mount is an earls type and you can use a std z9 on it or the original toyota 2T filter on it (quite exxy though $19 vs $4 for the different filters)

and yes stick with original filters.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Oil filters? Tue, 29 July 2003 01:39 Go to previous message
Ok original it is. Thanks for the input people Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:URGENT!!! 2JZ-GE O2 Sensor wiring color codes