Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TerryOBeirne
Forums Junkie

May 2002
vented 4 pot brakes Tue, 21 May 2002 22:53 Go to next message
As a result of a prior posting , I'm making up a few sets of big brakes for Sprinters. These are 266 x 24mm vented discs with 4 piston calipers, modelled off my race car. I now have a pattern for the adaptors for the RA40 struts, and can do these if anyone wants. Kit prices vary from $500-$750 depending on exact specs you want. If you want them for SA60,Supra etc, I may be able to help there also. call me on 0417-687161 for info. alternatively, weekend only 07-38143762. If you want to fit these on a road car, you should get a modification plate from relevant State transport authority. Terry
  Send a private message to this user    
egg man
Occasional Poster

July 2002
Re: vented 4 pot brakes Mon, 01 July 2002 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How is it going just aquick question? Can you make the struts for a ta 22 strut or will a ra 40 be the same also what calipers do you use. thanks .
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: vented 4 pot brakes Mon, 01 July 2002 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm also interested in the TA22 setup! I might give him a call tomorrow.
TerryOBeirne
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: vented 4 pot brakes Tue, 02 July 2002 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guys, I've sold most of the stuff I had. I'm still trying to sort prior orders so I dont want any more today. Basically, I can fit them to any Toyota strut. The ones I offered were based around welded brackets as used for +10 years on my race cars. If you want 1 piece brackets to pass a RTA or Qld T'port test,, then the price goes up a lot as there is 4-5 hours machine time /bracket. I can make with bigger discs but 26mm is fine for fast road cars and even did a few bathurst stints. The fitment on the RA 40 /ST141 struts with the bigger stub axle is easier/cheaper. call me when you have cash waiting to spend on brakes.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: vented 4 pot brakes Tue, 02 July 2002 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well put Very Happy
I'll be giving you some cash for some bigger brakes in the near future!
By the way i was the dude that rand you today! Shane.
egg man
Occasional Poster

July 2002
Re: vented 4 pot brakes Tue, 02 July 2002 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the info i m in townsville at the moment if you have any pics could you send the to me at waynetheegg@optusnet.com.auI will doun at the goldcoast at christmas so Iwould like to come arround and have a look if that is ok. All i am worried about is getting the into a KE25 corolla. Grin

[Updated on: Tue, 02 July 2002 11:38]

TerryOBeirne
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: vented 4 pot brakes Wed, 03 July 2002 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have no ideas about big brakes on early corollas. will have to look. i cannot imagine it to be good idea unless you change the tiny strut legs and stub axle they have. I am getting more caliper brackets made now for fitting Nissan alloy 4 pot calipers onto my 266mm discs & later Sprinter strut legs. Any takers??
Assailant
Regular

"Cørønå ƒreåk"

May 2002

Re: vented 4 pot brakes Wed, 03 July 2002 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool... sounds like I will be talking to you soon....

I would like to fit these upgardes to my corona RT132 and RT142, would the upgrades just bolt on pretty much?
TerryOBeirne
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: vented 4 pot brakes Wed, 03 July 2002 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry guys, but I dont know the intimate details of each model. Basically there are 3 different stub axle sixes. The sprinter uses the middle size, 85 on coronas & celicas use larger ones. The large stub axle ones also have a different bolt pattern holding the caliper bracket to the strut. I have patterns for the 2 "big" sizes. The easiest/cheapest is adding brakes to the latter corona/celica/cressida strut. I suggest you guys with older cars look at the wreckers for a suitable "big axle" strut, and we'll go from there. I suggest you mostly look at RA40 celicas & others of this vintage, and make sure the strut has a bolt on (not integral) caliper bracket. Take care and make sure the ball joint bolts are the same. Also, make sure stut is same length as what you now have ,give or take a few mm. See technical article on Toymods for info.!!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: vented 4 pot brakes Wed, 03 July 2002 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Terry, Are you able to modify diffs? Say a borg warner type? I would like to fit one of these items to my TA22 with big brakes of corse!
TerryOBeirne
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: vented 4 pot brakes Wed, 03 July 2002 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes, but I dont want any more work today. email me in a few weeks once current load of mods are finished. I already have designed a big-brake kit for rear of sprinter and it wont take much work to convert to BW axle. The only likely snag is handbrake cable and I wont know about this till I look at the car involved.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: vented 4 pot brakes Thu, 04 July 2002 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No worries mate! Whats your email address? I guess it would be easier if I source a Diff first?
MRTA22
Regular

May 2002
Re: vented 4 pot brakes Thu, 04 July 2002 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
COOL1 why dont you get a TRX series 3 diff. They are the same width as a celica diff, 8 3.4in with discs and same stud pattern.(borg warner with pull out centre) The 720 Nissan utes have the same diffs and some have lsd as well. Just have to change the mounts over. I got one last week and im changing the mounts on saturday. stronger than the commonmodore ones aswell.

Jamie.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: vented 4 pot brakes Thu, 04 July 2002 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your kidding me?
What size ar the disks? Same brakes on the TRX and the 720?
So if I got one of these, I can grab an LSD out of a dunnydoor and fit it in the TRX item?
MRTA22
Regular

May 2002
Re: vented 4 pot brakes Thu, 04 July 2002 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The TRX has pretty big discs but i think the 720 has drums. Some 720's have the lsd not all. The TRX diff had banjo type centre not like the commodore ones so they are not interchangeable. Ill post some pics next week of mine. They are the best option for a TA22 in my opinion its justthe $1000 most wreckers ask for them is a bit steep

Jamie
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: vented 4 pot brakes Thu, 04 July 2002 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a $1000 ouch!
Can ya get an LSD for the Banjo?
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: vented 4 pot brakes Thu, 04 July 2002 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats a banjo center?

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: vented 4 pot brakes Thu, 04 July 2002 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What do you mean?
The center is changable is it not?
TerryOBeirne
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: vented 4 pot brakes Fri, 05 July 2002 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what make sprinter so nice to drive is its light weight and balance. IMHO the entire balance and feel of the car is wrecked by putting overly heavy parts in it. Nissan 720 ute--you have to be joking!!! Even the TRX was a truck in comparison with Sprinter. If you want a nissan diff, look for the works Stanza LSD diffs with the alloy nose cone.
my 7.1" LSD survived several bathurst 1000's + meetings in between. I'll admit the 6.7" is a bit fragile, but mostly they broke in the LSD cross, not the crown wheel.
the celica housing is beteween 10 and 18mm wider depending on model. Also, its much heavier. you neeed different offset rims front and rear if you use a celica diff.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: vented 4 pot brakes Fri, 05 July 2002 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm interested in doing a bit of draaag racing! So i'm going to need a diff that can withstand some reasonable lanches!
So what do you recomend for this application?
TerryOBeirne
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: vented 4 pot brakes Fri, 05 July 2002 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much torque will the engine develop??
put simply, drag cars will never handle on the road well cause of the weight imbalance. light cars with heavy mechanicals simply dont match.
easy fix is buy a bomb falcon for dragging and leave the sprinter alone.
more seriously, the Borg-warner diff in coronas can be altered for a sprinter and fitted with LSD or locker.
A mini-spool (locked diff) is what you need for drags
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: vented 4 pot brakes Fri, 05 July 2002 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good question about the torque!
I'll be using a slightly worked 3S-GTE!
So you recommend a Borg Warner diff out of a Corona?
What model Corona are we talking about?
TerryOBeirne
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: vented 4 pot brakes Fri, 05 July 2002 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IMHO you are wacko!. A worked 3SGTE can develop 400-500hp. you need a shortened hilux 8" with spool centre to live in this environment. refer my earlier comment about stuffing up handling.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: vented 4 pot brakes Fri, 05 July 2002 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL. I was originally going to use a hilux diff but had no idear about fitting disk brakes with the toyota stud patten!
Can you do this?
The Hilux diff does'nt really need to be shortened does it?
TerryOBeirne
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: vented 4 pot brakes Fri, 05 July 2002 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've not found a hilux with correct width. maybe they exist somewhere.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: vented 4 pot brakes Mon, 08 July 2002 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The link to the old forums has gone now I think, but there was a lot of talk on there about using a "G series" hilux diff!
I was told many times that this would fit (using the wheels with the correct offset of course)
TerryOBeirne
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: vented 4 pot brakes Mon, 08 July 2002 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
suggest you go look at one , equipped with a tape and bathroom scales. you see what I mean about heavy!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: vented 4 pot brakes Mon, 08 July 2002 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I understand what your saying about the diff being heavy! But is'nt that the price you pay for something thats going to handle power/torque?
MRTA22
Regular

May 2002
Re: vented 4 pot brakes Mon, 08 July 2002 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Terry do you have any idea or what?? If you looked at Cool1's avatar you would see he owns a TA22 not a Sprinter and if you think a 7.1in will handle any decent power and abuse then you are sorely mistaken.
Are you willing to offer warranty on a 7.1 behind a worked 3TGTEU or 3SGTE??? I dont think so. They may be ok for track work in a sprinter with less than 200hp atw but in no way will they handle any decent power.
I am offering cool1 advice as i have been tossing up over what diff to use in my car for a long time and the TRX is the best all round and will save alot of money in the future. I am not trying to sell him shit like you are. If you took the time to see what car he had and what engine he was going to use before trying to make your shit sound the best you would have realised your option was inadequate and saved making yourself look like a dick!!!
Cool1 a banjo centre is one which is removed from the tailshaft side like a TA22 one. Commodore borg warner diffs have centres which are removed from the rear. That is why the centres arent interchangable.
$1000 is the price people charge if they know how good the diffs are however like anything shop around and you will find one for under $500 complete. You were also correct a G series hilux diff is the correct width for a TA22 however by the time you consider the cost of retrofitting discs and that is isnt as strong as a TRX diff it becomes clear which one is the best choice.
A TRX diff is also the same in weight if not less than a hilux one only much stronger. Its up to you its your car and your money and i have nothing to gain whichever way you go. I am not trying to sell you one or anything. I just think for what you want its the best option.

Jamie.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: vented 4 pot brakes Mon, 08 July 2002 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok so let me clear some things up.
The TRX item has the same center as the Banjo?
If i'm correct, I am guessing you can get aftermarket centers? Say an LSD or maybe even a locker?
MRTA22
Regular

May 2002
Re: vented 4 pot brakes Mon, 08 July 2002 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The TRX does have a banjo centre. correct. You dont need aftermarket centres. The 720's have lsd's which bolt straight in and can be rebuilt to be almost lockers. I dont know of aftermarket centres as the TRX was no spped machine so there was no calling for it.

Jamie.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: vented 4 pot brakes Mon, 08 July 2002 09:02 Go to previous message
I'll have to have a look around sometime and get some prices!
I really dont have time at the moment, damm i'm busy.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3tgt ECU etc
Next Topic:bike helmet 4 sale
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 23 10:15:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068111419677734 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.