Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Sat, 09 August 2003 06:18 Go to next message
I've got a contact that is willing to make up a custom inlet manifold for the 1jz if we can find at least 10 buyers. These things make significant power gains above standard, but it's in big hp applications that they're especially useful.

this is a pro job by a big company. it's not welded or anything mesy like that. it's made using a CNC machine

anyhow, approx price will be in the vicinity of $1000 (or a bit under - obviously the more people interested the cheaper it will be)

just wanted to get an idea of interest before approaching the guy - please mention if you're a definite or "maybe if I'm feeling rich" type of interest Smile

edit: mr shin's wisdom

[Updated on: Sat, 09 August 2003 06:45]

Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Sat, 09 August 2003 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CNC machine Evil or Very Mad
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Sat, 09 August 2003 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that'd be it Smile
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Sat, 09 August 2003 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd be a maybe!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Sat, 09 August 2003 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well that's 2 Razz

for those of you doubting the quality, I'll add that these guys are not heard of much in australia, but do a massive trade in america and europe. top quality stuff

[Updated on: Sat, 09 August 2003 07:39]

7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Sat, 09 August 2003 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't mean to be a doubting Thomas, but I'd suggest that there are much better things you could do with $1000, such as putting it towards an aftermarket ECU or a better turbocharger arrangement.

A custom plenum will be an improvement... but it's probably one of the last things you should look at. Only time I would look at it before other mods is if you purchased for example, a 7MGTE, and wanted to avoid intercooler piping difficulties.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Sat, 09 August 2003 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you'd be suprised at the differences it can make to a lightly modded 1jz (~350bhp).

that said, I was just seeing if there was any interest on the forums, as it's something I wouldn't mind getting done.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Sat, 09 August 2003 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not that im in a position to buy one or anything, but wouldnt you be better off getting a plenum made up with induction trumpets?

any pics of what they turn out like?

a little off topic, but would fixing the "T-joint" in the turbo dumps be more be benificial?
JAZE
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Sat, 09 August 2003 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
....... yes indeed, induction trumpets on a turbocharged engine....... a smashing idea, why didnt i think of that?

yeh greg, id be down for one, however if you cant get ur group buy happening i can get one made up by a friend of mine, and as ill be doing plenum asap we can get two done the same at perhaps a saving.
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Sat, 09 August 2003 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

a little off topic, but would fixing the "T-joint" in the turbo dumps be more be benificial?

Yes.

That is one of the first mods you should do on any car - arrange the largest exhaust (practically) that you can, straight off the back of the turbos.

There are a few exceptions, such as the 2JZGTE on which you cannot do this due to the way the turbos are actuated. The 1JZGTE is not a problem though - but it's pretty expensive. You'd be looking around the $500-$600 mark just for the turbo-to-cat section.

Still, cheaper than an inlet manifold - and it's drive in, drive out for that price.

If you already have a full 3" exhaust off the bottom of that t-piece... it mayn't be THAT much of an increase... but the best thing to do is make the most of what you have before you start doing anything major like changing inlet manifolds.

[Updated on: Sat, 09 August 2003 14:03]

Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Sat, 09 August 2003 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We shall soon see, as the biggest HP stock turbo 1j is about to hit the rollers!!
Heaps of HKS gear ( and no I'm not talking gauges and boost controllers), huge 'cooler, autronic, and custom large volume plenum.

I would be interested if I knew the specs of the new design, as a stock item can be made to flow quite well for 1/2 that cost.

Matt

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Sun, 10 August 2003 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, I haven't got the guy to design it yet... as it's not worth it unless we can get a group buy going.
My thoughts would be a guy with an advanced engineering degree working for a big international performance company could probably do it better than any re-machining. He's already made up a custom plenum for wrx and rb26. the wrx ones were on cars set up for racing. the gtrs are street spec

Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Sun, 10 August 2003 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To improve on the inlet manifold on a stock 1j is a great way to go though..

apparently there is up to 30% flow difference between runners in any 1j manifold, and no two 1j manifolds ever flowed the same, which might explain some of those freaky 1j's that just seem to go a little better than others.

Keep in mind if there is a flow differnce then only the least efficient cylinder will be in perfect tune all the rest will be rich, and when power tuning maybe that cylinder will be heaps LEAN !!!

I am in favour of improving the manifold but i will probably go for the ported stocky item and rely on boost to make my power.

Matt

slylux
Regular

January 2003
    nup
Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Sun, 10 August 2003 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what throttle body would be used .. not the factory one.. ? u would gain greatly from bigger thottle body to ... maybe 65mm or bigger ..but put me down for a maybe . depends on fitment too .
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Sun, 10 August 2003 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, it'll be made specially for the 1jz, so it'll fit perfectly
slylux
Regular

January 2003
    nup
Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Sun, 10 August 2003 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes i know it will fit good .. but i have a 1jz in a hilux and i cant have the throttle body to far forward .. further back ther better .. as it is im running a ef falcon throttle body cause they are shorter ( and bigger )
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Sun, 10 August 2003 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chances are that this one will be shorter and fatter. not much shorter, but a decent bit fatter - with a flawless inside, so it actually flows nicely
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Mon, 11 August 2003 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hey Jaze, I am definitely interested! Can;t give a firm financial committemnt until I add up the going expenses of my 1JZ conversion.

Well done.

cheers,,
Justin
JZA-61 ... still on thr production line.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Mon, 11 August 2003 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yojimbo wrote on Sun, 10 August 2003 14:30

apparently there is up to 30% flow difference between runners in any 1j manifold,

Positive pressure will equalise the flow differences. This is one of the reasons supercharging was introduced on radial engined plane engines - to attempt to equalize pressures and flow across vastly different length runners.

JAZE wrote on Sat, 09 August 2003 22:51

....... yes indeed, induction trumpets on a turbocharged engine....... a smashing idea, why didnt i think of that?

Induction trumpets will increase flow and velocity thru the runner. Turbocharged engines respond in exactly the same way to this modification as a naturally aspirated engine. Given that modifying the intake manifold is the lowest bang for buck mod you could do and the only reason you might consider doing it is to pick up the very last bits of power (there are quite a few healthy 1 and 2JZs running big numbers on the standard manifold), why not use induction trumpets?

Good luck. Sounds interesting.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Mon, 11 August 2003 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Mon, 11 August 2003 13:03

Given that modifying the intake manifold is the lowest bang for buck mod you could do...

Once again GT has hit the nail on the head. While a custom manifold is a good thing, I can't see it being cost-effective unless you have already explored all other avenues for increasing hp. Will a $1000 manifold yield the same power gain as, for example, a $1000 cam re-grind? I doubt it.

Having said that, don't let me stop you - extra shiny bits are always fun.

[Updated on: Mon, 11 August 2003 04:48]

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Mon, 11 August 2003 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Mon, 11 August 2003 13:03

Given that modifying the intake manifold is the lowest bang for buck mod you could do

right after the multi thousand dollar digital MSD ignition systems...
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Mon, 11 August 2003 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JAZE wrote on Sat, 09 August 2003 22:51

....... yes indeed, induction trumpets on a turbocharged engine....... a smashing idea, why didnt i think of that

care to explain exactly why that'd be a bad idea???

now how does any of the following NOT apply to forced induction? once again, the turbo crowd turns a blind eye to inteligent engineering, and reaches for the bleed valve...

Quote:

a bellmouth serves three main purposes;

1) To convert the pressure difference between bore and mouth into air speed with the minimum of energy loss.
2) To act as the interface between the induction system and the atmosphere, i.e. the point at which pressure waves change sign and direction.
3) To complete the system to the required overal length.

For ease of description the air horn may be considered in two parts; the 'flare' and the 'tube'.

The main job of the flare is to spread the low pressure zone over the largest possible area - to reduce local pressure reduction - whilst guiding incoming air into the tube with minimum disruption or induced vortices. The flare should be shaped to encourage air to enter from the sides, but not from the rear, of the mouth. This is acheved by either finishing the mouth with a sharp edge when the arc is a little beyond 90 degrees from the air horn axis or by folding material back, parallel to the axis, when the arc is at, or just below, 90 degrees to the axis.

The main job of the tube is to accelerate the airflow smoothly and progressively. This is best achieved by an exponential shape - i.e. one where the radius of curvature is increasing constantly until the angle of the sides matches the next part of the system, usually the throttle body. At the intake end this should blend smoothly with the flare.

YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Mon, 11 August 2003 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mmmm - here's a hot topic and my 2c worth.

A local car picked up 76 rear wheel HP (up to over 410rwhp in a 2.0L turbo) from a smarter intake manifold, and made no less than 15 HP over previous at the mid-range. The vehicle is not yet completely tuned with this arrangement and is expected to gain even more through the mid range.

My car runs the factory throttle body (50mm) and picked up some 32 rwKw by changing the plenum chamber and revising the lower half of the stock manifold. This 32 kw was picked up with upping the boost by approx. 2psi since the last dyno day. It lost nothing at all down low and gained all thru the mid range.

I know of a 3S GTE with revised manifold, 50mm T/B that makes over 213 rwKw with 12psi boost. Hard to believe, but even harder to ignore.

Still believe that the potential gains are not worthwhile?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Mon, 11 August 2003 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As has been said, it's a mod that one would consider after other avenues have been explored.

A 550 rwhp 2 litre is hardly standard and is exactly what I am talking about when chasing the last bits of big power.

Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Mon, 11 August 2003 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[/quote]
Once again GT has hit the nail on the head. While a custom manifold is a good thing, I can't see it being cost-effective unless you have already explored all other avenues for increasing hp. Will a $1000 manifold yield the same power gain as, for example, a $1000 cam re-grind? I doubt it.[/quote]

Or if the head has been ported and pollished. Of course, you could also P&P the manifold, but this one will look purdier Smile

Power & performance Cool

- JUSTIN
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Mon, 11 August 2003 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was going to jump up and down and defend myself over the "stupid" intake trumpets idea, but all you guys have done it for me already, thanks!

All i was trying to say, is that maybeye it would be better (or at least cheaper)to get a new plenum fabricated, rather than machined. That said, id like to know what the final design will be like.

the 1JZGTE is a great engine, and i am interested in what they are capable of.

YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Mon, 11 August 2003 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That is 410rwhp;) and yes, while it is not standard it shows 22% gain.

Now when looking at this, (and knowing Draven's car a little) I automatically (not necessarily correctly) assume that most of us with turbo cars have already turned the wick up, fitted a better intercooler etc so other avenues have already been explored.

My car picked up 20%, and actually gained more than it did when I changed to a bigger turbo. It has stock 3T GTE factory cams, factory T/B, and no head work. Turbos tend to cost more than $1000 (for a fuck for your buck comparison). On dyno day, my car was not even spun to 6000rpm and showed over 250hp for more than a 1500rpm spread.

The 3S example shows that big power can be made without the big boost + RPM.

What good is having a ported head and then killing it with the restriction in front of it? (if it is a restriction)
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Mon, 11 August 2003 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7M-Brisbane wrote on Sat, 09 August 2003 18:04

I don't mean to be a doubting Thomas, but I'd suggest that there are much better things you could do with $1000, such as putting it towards an aftermarket ECU or a better turbocharger arrangement.

A custom plenum will be an improvement... but it's probably one of the last things you should look at. Only time I would look at it before other mods is if you purchased for example, a 7MGTE, and wanted to avoid intercooler piping difficulties.

not to be a smart ass but maybe other ppl have already done other work, draven didn't say this was only good for stock engines

$1000 cam grind, that'd be fooly seeeeek, rice boys'd pay this cause the more expensive the better Laughing

[Updated on: Mon, 11 August 2003 09:10]

speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Mon, 11 August 2003 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would be interested, but ive got some other things to spend money on before going for this. if it was around december i would be more likely to join the group buy
Pete
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Mon, 11 August 2003 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For about $100 more than that manifold you can buy a NOS kit. Mmmm Nos...
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Mon, 11 August 2003 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philmelvin wrote on Mon, 11 August 2003 19:09

$1000 cam grind, that'd be fooly seeeeek, rice boys'd pay this cause the more expensive the better Laughing

how much do you think a cam grind costs ??
Confused Confused
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Mon, 11 August 2003 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I stand by my belief that an upgraded manifold on a near-stock 1JZ isn't a cost-effective mod, especially if those teeny little factory turbos are still wheezing away on the exhaust side. Of course I don't have any solid proof that this is true, so go ahead and prove me wrong - it's your money after all! Smile

Of course if it was a highly tuned 250hp/litre monster (as per YelloRolla's example) that's a different story entirely, but quite obviously such an engine would already have significant modifications (read: TURBOS) to take advantage of the extra flow potential.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Mon, 11 August 2003 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bingo.
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Tue, 12 August 2003 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes indeedy, I go with that (I can't call BINGO cos GT won it already).
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Tue, 12 August 2003 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
opened the proverbial can of worms Razz
no I wont make huge gains immediately (even with 1 bar boost on the the stockers), but I look at it as an investment for when the bigger turbos do go on.

just an idea I'm throwing around. the guy said he wont bother doing it for less than around 10 units (because he's not charging much to set up the machine initially, so he has to sell quite a few to make it worth his while)
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz custom inlet manifold group buy Tue, 12 August 2003 03:10 Go to previous message
draven wrote on Tue, 12 August 2003 13:02

opened the proverbial can of worms Razz

Hehehe...nah not at all. Really just a debate about which order to do mods such that one gets the best value for money in the here and now.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Caliper repair kit alternatives to RA23
Next Topic:1G-GTE CT12 turbo Upgrade
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Jun 5 22:23:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.11707496643066 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.