Toymods » The Outhouse » The pains of no internet

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
icon8.gif  The pains of no internet Mon, 11 August 2003 02:40 Go to next message
I'm going to be looking after some friends house starting tomorrow night, which is usually a good thing, getting out of home, lots of booze, late nights, etc etc, however, these people have... no landline! Which means, no internet! Now, I can use the net at work, which I am doing now, but that means that come friday when I don't work, I'm netless till monday! Shocked I'm not really sure if I'm going to survive Razz
  Send a private message to this user    
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: The pains of no internet Mon, 11 August 2003 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow, that's gotta hurt. I feel for you mate Smile (I think I am addicted myself - next thing you know I will have to sue Optus for my blod clot Smile )
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: The pains of no internet Mon, 11 August 2003 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why not, everyone sues everyone for nothing. I sue iPrimus for stealing my social life! Laughing
St3ve_AE92
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The pains of no internet Mon, 11 August 2003 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think we all suffer from IAD...

http://www.chem.vt.edu/chem-dept/dessy/honors/pape rs/ferris.html

http://www.idsi.net/addiction.html

Rolling Eyes
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: The pains of no internet Mon, 11 August 2003 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"Hello, my name's Jude and I have IAD"

"Hello Jude"

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: The pains of no internet Mon, 11 August 2003 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehehe...

I went without the net for a week when I was on hols...

It killed me and I was trying to catchup on these forums for like 4 days afterwards on everything that I had missed...

It was a pain in the arse and I am a net addict... I'm on here from when I get home to when i go to bed every night... Plus weekends...
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: The pains of no internet Mon, 11 August 2003 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've decided that I'm going to use the month off to get this phoneline at home sorted out for broadband. I've lined up a modem, so I just need to get the second phone line into home taken out and Telstra need to perform some wizadry on the lines. When they put in the second line that did some funky split on the house line now it says I can't get adsl on either number! Thats actually the part that's made me procrastinate on the adsl, dealing with those morons.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: The pains of no internet Mon, 11 August 2003 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Telstra do not perform wizadry. I don't know what it is, but it aint wizadry. grrr Telstra makes me mad
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: The pains of no internet Mon, 11 August 2003 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah it was sort of an oxymoron. Thanks to something or another, I can only connect at 28.8, even tho when I first got on the net I was connecting at 48 or something, much more like 56k realworld speeds. So I ring up Telstra, and get some damn pakastani guy on the line, who is telling me that because they split they line, I can only ever get 28.8 cause thats half of 56.

"But I was getting 56k speeds when I first got on the net, then over time its dropped to 28.8"

"I'm sorry sir but you can only get 28.8 speeds because the line is split"

"But I WAS getting 56k speeds! I know how to check my speeds, I'm not silly! Why has my speed dropped"

"Listen to my Habib, I was getting higher speeds! Tell me why its dropped or I will not be happy!"

"I hate you and your children"

*note, I'm not racist Razz
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The pains of no internet Tue, 12 August 2003 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe because the split part of your line wasn't connected originally Rolling Eyes
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: The pains of no internet Tue, 12 August 2003 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, let me explain abit better, when they put in my internet line in home, there wasn't enough points at the box, so they had to split the home line. Whatever split they performed on that renders both lines adsl-less. I know this cause the exchange has been upgraded near me and I've tried with my neighbours numbers and they can get it. And also I rung up Telstra and thats what they said, cause of split, no broadband for you.
libby
Occasional Poster

October 2002
Re: The pains of no internet Tue, 12 August 2003 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Telstra are a bunch of wankas. Mad
Shop with your feet people.
It's the only thing that MIGHT work.
Even then it's doubtful. Sad
The less I have to deal with them the better. Mad
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: The pains of no internet Thu, 14 August 2003 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Problem is if any work actually needs doing on the physical lines, they are the ones you have to contact. I'm definately not going with their as an ISP, I'd have to be crazy to do that Razz
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: The pains of no internet Mon, 18 August 2003 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmmm go Telstra. Gtman the reason you can only get 28.8K speeds and also the reason you cant get ADSL on your phone line is because what the cheap bastards Twisted Evil have done is "Pair Gain" your telephone line(its like a 2 for 1 deal, except you loose...). Standard telephone line has 4 cores, now voice only needs 2 cores(so to get 2 telephone lines from one line they just split it...)now this is fine for voice, but for Data....well you need the 4 cores to get 56k, and you also need the 4 cores to get ADSL installed. Thing is, if you got another phone line so you could be on the internet at the same time as the phone, well I'm assuming thats why your getting Broadband, so call Telstra and tell lazy cheap bastards Very Happy to get off their butts and come and un-pair gain your line and install ADSL(cause you can still be on the phone and on the net at the same time) for you, and then your all happy again Smile

My 2c

Nath
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: The pains of no internet Tue, 19 August 2003 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeap, thats what I'm going to do. You sound like you know abit, know if it would cost me anything to get this done?
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: The pains of no internet Tue, 19 August 2003 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heya,

Well there is a few ways that you/Telstra can go about it.

1) Get a "professional" install done on your ADSL, hopefully when the technician comes out to install the ADSL they can also put your 2 lines back into 1 at the same time, hopefully minimising the call out costs of the technician. This all depends on whether Telstra is willing to do all this in one trip, and if they can at all, cause they need to do some funky stuff at the exchange to get your lines ADSL enabled, so this option may actually not be viable, but it'd be the neatest.

2) You call Telstra out to put your 2 telephone lines back into 1 again, then do a "self-install" of ADSL, which means you plug the modem into your computer and set it up, what money you save in "self-install" you will probably pay in fees getting the technician out. A figure I've heard from customers at work that Telstra charge a flat $137 to get a technician out, even before they do anything(but dont quote me on thaqt figure, best way to find out is to ring them yourself). Only good thing about Telstra techies working on your phone lines is that you usually get charged to your phone bill, so if you live with your parents, they'll get the bill Razz

3) Telstra may un pair-gain your phone lines for free as you want to sign up with ADSL and they are under abit of heat at the moment on the issue of their handling of broadband rollout & pairgaining restricting customers from gettings ADSL.

see : http://whirlpool.net.au/article.cfm/1129

Anyway sorry to ramble, but hope that helps. PM, email or leave a message here if you want any more info.

[Updated on: Tue, 19 August 2003 07:02]

gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: The pains of no internet Tue, 19 August 2003 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, with the bill thing, the second line is under my name, so I get that bill anyway, and the folks definately wouldn't let $137 slide Smile Having the same first inital as my dad is fun sometimes as he opens my bill when he's not being smart. Being as his is the house one and comes every three months, and mine comes every month and just dials up to the net, there's a pretty damn big difference in price so its usually, "Wow, phone bill is down heaps, keep it up guys"
lol Laughing
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: The pains of no internet Mon, 08 September 2003 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rung up Telstra today, asked about getting the pair gain removed and their response was basically, its impossible to get it removed, you can never get adsl. I mentioned about the website you showed me Alch, and they said that in their opinion it was not physically possible to remove the pair gain. If I had an ANT-1 then it could be removed but not a pair gain. They couldn't tell me what I have running on my line. Damnit I hate Telstra and their incompitence. Apparently 1 in 3 adsl connections are rejected because of this pair gain thing, around 1 million houses are affected because of it. Mad
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: The pains of no internet Mon, 08 September 2003 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
teltra sucks more than anything else on this planet I think...

go optus! Not that they are perfect either, but comparitavely... (I don't want to hear any comments about my spelling thankyou)
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: The pains of no internet Tue, 09 September 2003 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Problem is that its still Telstra that do the work on the lines Smile
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: The pains of no internet Tue, 09 September 2003 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heya GTman, well Telstra is currently in the process of rolling out new devices that overcome this little problem(no idea where though...) but have a read here.

http://whirlpool.net.au/article.cfm/1187

Alch
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: The pains of no internet Tue, 09 September 2003 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
once again confirming why Telstra are a bunch of arsewipes
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: The pains of no internet Wed, 10 September 2003 08:50 Go to previous message
Rob, your a shocker man... That spelling was hopeless Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil ...

Hahaha...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Favourite Beers
Next Topic:American Pie The wedding
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Jun 13 00:33:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056910514831543 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.