Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » to bore or not to bore.....how to tell??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
to bore or not to bore.....how to tell?? Wed, 10 July 2002 12:01 Go to next message
heya,

just picked up a new block, and i find that sometime in its life, its been bored out 40thou. now i dont think theres much meat left to pay with, so i have to decide whether or not the bore as it is is good enough to rebuild with new pistons/rings etc. will be honed of course.

what are the limits or wear within the bore i should look for etc?

any ideas??

cheers
de
  Send a private message to this user    
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: to bore or not to bore.....how to tell?? Thu, 11 July 2002 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed, firstly, we know that the 5M block can be taken out to 85mm safely. The problem is finding pistons with the correct compression height and gudgeon pin diameter to fit. Datsun L18-20 pistons....remember? Rolling If you want to do a more comprehensive search, go to www.acl.com.au and download their piston catalogue. It has all that shit in there, as well as available overbore size pistons. Go to customer service, then scroll down the tab to catlogues.

As for determining when to bore, you need to measure the bore with an internal micrometer and check for bore taper. This is then checked against the factory manual (which I don't have Nope ) and a determination can then be made. Also one should look for obvious scores or rust holes in the bore (if it's been sitting around with no head on). The easiest way is to take it to an engine machinist and let them sus it out for you.

By the way keep the 40 thou over pistons. Nod
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: to bore or not to bore.....how to tell?? Thu, 11 July 2002 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i remember the 85mm bore limit, but looking at the block, 85mm doesnt leave a whole lot of love between cyls! i think 84mm would be safer if the bore is good. and what you want those pistons for!?? Rolling

nice use of smilies by the way! hehehe

ill get an internal micrometer and have a look. not sure the manual states the limits of wear in these dimensions tho. bore seems very smooth with not feelable ridge at the bore lip. but ill measure anyway.

figuring out the pistons is going to be a little dicey without that M crank. even if the 5M/M blocks both have the same 230mm deck height, im going to need a very different 84mm piston (compared to stock 5M) to make up the 5mm less stroke when the M crank meets the 5M block.

well, perhaps not 'that' different, you'd figure you'd need just 5mm taller, but thats assuming the conrods are the same. BLAGH!

need to get that M crank/rods off you i think!!!

bugger....

cheers
ed

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: to bore or not to bore.....how to tell?? Thu, 11 July 2002 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll rip out an MTEU piston/rod tonight and measure the compression heights. Hopefully the comp height is around the same and the rods are somewhat longer (like around 5 mm)!

I knew someone with 2 MEU's but he junked them for the $10 in scrap metal....I told you they would come in handy Allan Evil or Very Mad ....now who's scrounging around for oil pumps! Grin
Corvid
Regular

May 2002
Re: to bore or not to bore.....how to tell?? Thu, 11 July 2002 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a 5m block with pistons etc In my shed...
I also would have the 5m oil pump..

If you guys are interested let me know.. thanks..
Nod
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: to bore or not to bore.....how to tell?? Thu, 11 July 2002 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here's hoping for 5mm longer rods! Freak

please tell me allan didnt junk 2x meu's for $10

also, ive got a spare 5M oil pump with front sump pickup here if someone needs it.

did the dyno 2000 thing on both 85mm and 75mm stroke configurations. torque + power are VERY similar, but both torque and power curves are much flatter, and shifted up 600rpm with the 75mm crank. revvy, and flat curve...hmmmm

yum

and again, why am i keeping these 40thou pistons (looks rather new, would be surprised if it were rebuilt over 40k ago)

cheers
ed

(you at work huh?)
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: to bore or not to bore.....how to tell?? Thu, 11 July 2002 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
corvid...

you got a dizzy on that block? dibs!
- starter motor?
- alternator?

also, looking at the head off that engine, i wouldnt be wanting to base a rebuild around it. the cooling system had not been looked after at all.

but will keep it in mind.

cheers
ed
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: to bore or not to bore.....how to tell?? Thu, 11 July 2002 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll let Allan tell you what he did with those 2 MEU's. No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: to bore or not to bore.....how to tell?? Thu, 11 July 2002 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i checked the specs: maximum out of round or taper is 0,0008" or 0,02mm. (god knows how im going to measure that with any decent accuracy).

my question is though, assuming i can measure it: im measuring the amount of taper down the cylinder bore with mesurements starting about 5mm from the block deck... ie: NOT including the dia of the 'ridge' at the top of the bore??? so if i start measuring just under that top 'ridge' and then measure down, im wanting a tolerance of under 0.02mm yeah? im guessing that the 'ridge' at the top of the cyl bore is not measured in the assesment of the bore?

note: not that there's much of a ridge, but its obviously not as polished as the rest of the bore.

cheers
ed
purpleminiep
Regular

May 2002
Re: to bore or not to bore.....how to tell?? Thu, 11 July 2002 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That ridge is where the piston rings stop. It is carbon buildup from the combustion process and has no bearing on the bore size like you said.

Brad
humble
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: to bore or not to bore.....how to tell?? Thu, 11 July 2002 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Since you are building a revvvvy engine, maybe you should be a little bit cautious about the extent of boring... A revy engine would generate more heat due to increased friction to begin with and with less metal in the block to absorb and transfer heat (because of the boring) the engine might want to run fairly hot compared to the standard.

Slightly off topic, the other issue that just popped into my head was the con rods. All conrods have some level of elasticity and as such, at higher revs, they are sure to get slightly more elongated. Therefore, maybe you should increase the piston clearance as well a tad bit? Oh yeah, the more the engine revs, more precisely balanced the components would need to be too...

Just a few thoughts...

Cheers
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: to bore or not to bore.....how to tell?? Thu, 11 July 2002 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nishad,

just did the dyno 2000 figures, and both the torque and power curves are shifted only about 600rpm up the axis. so wont be a hellishly revvy engine, just more than the 85mm stock stroker.

the good bit is both the curves are flatter with the 75mm crank, and dont peak as much as the 85mm. torque is down about 5% with 75mm one though.

i really gotta get me an engine stand Rolling

cheers
ed
humble
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: to bore or not to bore.....how to tell?? Thu, 11 July 2002 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Engine crane, brand new, 2 ton new heavy duty foldaway $375, 100lbs engine stand $85, 1250lbs $125. Vijay's Power Tools MASCOT 02-9700 8440

<- off tradingpost... maybe give them a ring? Smile

Cheers
Corvid
Regular

May 2002
Re: to bore or not to bore.....how to tell?? Thu, 11 July 2002 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Edman,

Yeh i got the starter and the alt.. also got the dizzy somewhere.. and leads..

Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: to bore or not to bore.....how to tell?? Thu, 11 July 2002 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep scraped em both, at the time it looked as tho i was going to end up with a couple more M series engines but thay didnt eventuate,

the m and 5m blocks are exactly the same from what i could see if there was difference all the timing gear at the front would of been different so throw your m crank rods and 5m pistons in (pin hight is your only worry) and you end up with a bore:stroke ratio the same as the 1jz i HIGHLY suggest esp with a turbo engine you dont use a bored block thare are plenty of good 5m blocks that only need a light hone/deglaze out of the 5 M engines i have opened up only a couple have not still had visable factory crosshatch left, mind you hay have all been EFI supra engines maybe toyota grades the blocks for "sports use" and a granny driven engine will have worse ridges at the top then an engie that sees 5500+ often

anyway why are you worrying about this your geting one of the sexyest 5m-e blocks i have seen and that aqua color will give you an extra 10kw!!!

Allan
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: to bore or not to bore.....how to tell?? Thu, 11 July 2002 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
allan, you know GT's engine is a 40thou overbore yeah?

cheers
ed
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: to bore or not to bore.....how to tell?? Fri, 12 July 2002 04:34 Go to previous message
well, ladies and gentlemen...

IT'S F_CKED!

'not to bore + chuck it out' is the answer to the question.

had a guy look at it today, and immediately says..."needs a bore, dont need a micrometer to tell you that".

rule of thumb, apparently, is if the crosshatching of the last hone has gone completley, so the bore has a mirror finish, then there will be taper. taper=rebore.

GT: im not comfortable going to 85mm. sure, i might find some 85mm pistons to fit (remember the piston pins on the L18/20 is 20mm so i'd have to make inserts for the conrod eyes to bring 22mm down to 20mm) its also possible that an 85mm 2T or 3T piston would work depending on rod length... BUT i just dont reckon theres enough meat left in the block to hack it.

SO

new block....

CORVID: can you measure the bore on that block youve got, and tell me if its 83mm? plus, can you have a peak in the water jackets, and see if theres much shit in there??

cheers
ed
[/B][B]
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Which is Better....
Next Topic:flycut depth
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 28 16:35:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0043799877166748 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar