Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Which is Better....

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon1.gif  Which is Better.... Thu, 11 July 2002 12:51 Go to next message
ok,

plugged a few numbers into dyno 2000 and this is what it spat out. the only difference between the two is the top graph is running a 75mm stroke crank, the bottom one an 85mm stroke crank.

its only a guide, but its gives an impression of the style of the engine output. question is, 1300kg car, w58 manual, 3.9:1 diff, which engine would drive better. subtle, but still, a desicion has to be made.

http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/loats/toymods/dyno75mm.jpg
75mm stroke crank

http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/loats/toymods/dyno85mm.jpg
85mm stroke crank

cheers
ed
  Send a private message to this user    
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Which is Better.... Thu, 11 July 2002 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unless you're planning on running more than 8,000rpm all the time, the long stroke crank looks better.
But there's not really enough information there - Is that just for a stroked crank and so more capacity engine, or, an engine with the same capacity and a smaller bore/bigger stroke?

If it's the stroked engine then it's no surprise that it'll make more power but if it's the same capacity then I'd be very dubious of that program - There's not a lot of difference (within limits) between a short stroke/big bore engine and a long stroke/small bore engine of the same capacity, all other things being equal.
In practice though, the short stroke/big bore engine will always make more power as it'll have less internal frictional losses, less inertia, and the valves will be shrouded less.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Which is Better.... Fri, 12 July 2002 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bill,

to clarify, the bore is fixed at 84mm in both examples. im just toying with the idea of swapping in a shorter stroke crank to bring the revs up (and lose torque). so in the lower graph, capacity is 2.8L, in the top graph (shorter stroke) capcity is 2.5L.

im not sure how the rod length is going to cahnge yet. could be up to 5mm longer in the short stroke crank. i hear that having the longer rods will improve torque a little, thou i cant see how. and ideas? i mean, its still a 75mm stroke, but would just have a longer rod so the piton would reach the block deck.

cheers
ed
humble
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Which is Better.... Fri, 12 July 2002 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm.... I might be completely mistaken, but wouldn't a longer conrod increase the compression?

Cheers
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Which is Better.... Fri, 12 July 2002 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Am I reading the graphs correctly? Are you getting ~300 hp @ 7700 from the 2.5 l hybrid, vs ~280 hp from the 2.8l?

And is that 17 psi boost you are running there? Grin What happened to '5-6 psi just for a bit of extra oomph'? Shocked

Looking at the graphs (and having experienced a 4M/M hybrid), I would prefer the bigger capacity (read long stroke) for the street. Also we only ever took our hybrid to 7000 (limited by cam and valve springs/bounce). To go over that you really need to sort out the top end.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Which is Better.... Fri, 12 July 2002 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nishad

5mm longer conrod simply serves to compensate for the 5mm less stroke of the crank, brining the piston back up to deck height. in fact even if the tdc pisition of the piston in the bore is the same, thus giving the same combustion camber volume, the compression ratio will be less due to the decrease swept volume of the shorter stroke crank.

cheers
ed
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Which is Better.... Fri, 12 July 2002 04:49 Go to previous message
GT: ths is whole new engine-ville hehehe

and no, not 17psi, 10psi (dont know whats going on on that manifold pressure curve!!)

the numbers (300hp) is all bollox, not sure how the software figured that out. im not really paying attention to that, its more the character of the curves, not the absolute value of the figures.

i too, like the bigger stroke. more 'normal' driving oriented.

BUT... perhaps if we made the 85mm crank engine more rev worthy (ie cam) and then supported the rest of the engine to 7k rpm. not sure what id have to di to get a 85mm 5m revving to 7k, but well see.

any word on that conrod?

cheers
ed

edit- yes the 2.5L puts out more peak hp than the 2.8L

[Updated on: Fri, 12 July 2002 04:52]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Rebuild kit for 4agze
Next Topic:to bore or not to bore.....how to tell??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 23 20:44:09 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010241031646729 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.